• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

cdskier

The guy puts it out there like it’s a fact, yet not publicly known. When in actuality it’s a guess, based a few facts combined with little knowledge of the hill in question (or of the approval process).
When I saw the "headline" I thought maybe there was something I missed. Then I read his "logic" lol

tumbler

Mr Skiology know-it-all "broke" the news on FB that Sugarbush is adding snowmaking to Reverse Traverse and plans to replace HG next year. He claims these have not yet been announced by Sugarbush (false at least on the Reverse Traverse part for sure as that was announced in May by John Hammond).

He also apparently thinks SB will move the base of HG down to the bottom of Lower DS by the entrance to CR because "the only way that Reverse Traverse can get to Heaven's Gate is to extend that lift down to where Castle Rock's bottom terminal is, and they do line up pretty nicely!" I guess he's never looked at a trail map of SB and hasn't seen the actual proposed plans for the RT/HGT project which would clearly show the snow-making being added to HGT with no change in alignment to that part. I see absolutely no value in extending HG that much further downhill. It would just make a longer ride time and serve no additional useful terrain. You'd also have to clear quite a bit of space to make a new base terminal and loading area. I think he's wrong on that assumption...
The bottom terminal needs to move up Ripcord from its current location so the corral can work better.

cdskier

The bottom terminal needs to move up Ripcord from its current location so the corral can work better.
I'd be fine with it being moved up slightly. Although I also think the corral this past season worked pretty well most days once they figured out the optimal configuration unless it was extremely crowded.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Mr Skiology know-it-all "broke" the news on FB that Sugarbush is adding snowmaking to Reverse Traverse and plans to replace HG next year. He claims these have not yet been announced by Sugarbush (false at least on the Reverse Traverse part for sure as that was announced in May by John Hammond).

He also apparently thinks SB will move the base of HG down to the bottom of Lower DS by the entrance to CR because "the only way that Reverse Traverse can get to Heaven's Gate is to extend that lift down to where Castle Rock's bottom terminal is, and they do line up pretty nicely!" I guess he's never looked at a trail map of SB and hasn't seen the actual proposed plans for the RT/HGT project which would clearly show the snow-making being added to HGT with no change in alignment to that part. I see absolutely no value in extending HG that much further downhill. It would just make a longer ride time and serve no additional useful terrain. You'd also have to clear quite a bit of space to make a new base terminal and loading area. I think he's wrong on that assumption...
FWIW LiftBlog is also listing HG as a likely replacement in 2023. That’s all they say.

cdskier

Well, he has a tendency to ban people who challenge his "expertise", so your relationship would be short lived. Haha
I'm surprised he hasn't banned me yet. I think the only comments I've ever made have been "corrections" to his posts. I do try to do it in a very factual way for the most part though.

Still funny how a number of people are applauding his post as a "great write-up" when it has some factual errors in it plus pure speculation.

cdskier

FWIW LiftBlog is also listing HG as a likely replacement in 2023. That’s all they say.
That's been the going assumption for a while based on the SOPA filing with the USFS that was made back in March or April. Maybe like Hawk said more details will be announced this weekend at the Community Day speech (I won't be there though).

machski

The only "benefit" to Skiology's guess would be to link Gate House to HG. But that is redundant IMHO with Valley House backing up SB (and the whole RT snowmaking point). Not to mention the additional traffic and congestion on Lower Downspout if you did move the base of HG downhill.

Hawk

Briefly.....
John Hamond introduced the new staff. JJ Tolland is back from Jay. Some got promoted. New people etc.
They talked about all the snow making pipe that was replace. They did the entire upper mountain at North include rim run, looking good, FIS and Elbow. Also easy rider and slow poke at Lincoln peak. They fixed other pipes and installed new hose connections in a lot of places and are installing some new guns. They also did a bunch of maintenence on existing lifts and finished the renovations at the Mt Ellen lodge. He mentioned that the next phase would include new valves and other things to increase capacity at Ellen.Not exactly sure of all the details but he said that to increase pressue and volume you need to replace the pipes first.

Matt Skiology was late in annoucing the reverse traverse thing, we knew about that, and is totally wrong about HG. The lift needs replacing but it is a future project , is not totally sorted out yet and if anything they would move it slightly up hill to make a bigger platform for the lift line. There is enough grade to get from Valley house to HG and Castle Rock with the re-designed reverse traverse.

He's a total boob.

ducky

Curious if there's an uptick in Sugarbush pass sales to Stowe refugees; Vermont resident, non-locals such as Burlington, Shelburne, Montpelier, etc. Stowe put their new $450 parking passes for sale yesterday and they sold out. The pass does not guarantee a space either. Parking without a pass will be $30 on weekends for those with less than 4 passengers. Adult passes at MRG sold out quickly as well.

On first day of sales, Stowe parking pass plan gets chilly reception

slatham

Curious if there's an uptick in Sugarbush pass sales to Stowe refugees; Vermont resident, non-locals such as Burlington, Shelburne, Montpelier, etc. Stowe put their new $450 parking passes for sale yesterday and they sold out. The pass does not guarantee a space either. Parking without a pass will be $30 on weekends for those with less than 4 passengers. Adult passes at MRG sold out quickly as well.

Unfortunately Ikon is private and doesn’t reports such stats. Need an insider *wink wink* to provide some color on local sales activity that Sugarbush saw vs prior years.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think all of the local areas will see more and more Stowe ex-pats as time marches on. Most of the people I know who work in Stowe live North of town in Morrisville, Elmore, Hyde Park, Eden or Wolcott. All are much cheaper places to live than Waterbury. So, those folks are leaving for Smuggs and Jay. Folks on the 89 side, Bush, MRG and Bolton.

KustyTheKlown

non scientific, but skiology dork did a poll of his membership which did show defection from epic to ikon. that's a very self selected group of internet dorks tho. that being said, i wouldn't pay vail to keep fucking my ass raw year after year.

cdskier

non scientific, but skiology dork did a poll of his membership which did show defection from epic to ikon. that's a very self selected group of internet dorks tho. that being said, i wouldn't pay vail to keep fucking my ass raw year after year.

Yea...not sure what to expect. I'm glad Ikon is at least a little bit pricier than Epic which will discourage some people from defecting (and I wouldn't be upset if Ikon raises their prices more next year to try to differentiate themselves as a more "premium" product than Epic).

But there are also a lot of people that are still buying Epic. Their true season pass numbers seem down a bit this year (even though their overall number including the Epic Day Pass product is up), but we don't know what the breakdown of changes by region are. It will be interesting to see what happens on the mountain...

KustyTheKlown

we also have the world returning to a more normalish status. lots of people are back in offices part time. the full time remote work fuck off to a ski town all winter long crowd is probably smaller and will continue to get smaller as more companies put their expensive office leases back to work. so I'm hoping that post-covid overall crowds in general are just lower

drjeff

we also have the world returning to a more normalish status. lots of people are back in offices part time. the full time remote work fuck off to a ski town all winter long crowd is probably smaller and will continue to get smaller as more companies put their expensive office leases back to work. so I'm hoping that post-covid overall crowds in general are just lower

I agree that it would be nice if things trended back crowd wise to a more normal, pre-covid level. Just wondering how many folks who either started skiing/riding or greatly upped their skiing/riding because they actually could during Covid, will let their interest in the sport decreae over time. As I think we all can agree here that this sport is really enjoyable and can certainly be addictive. I think that we also can agree that Skiology Matt doesn't know nearly as much as his ego thinks on a whole host of topics from ski area design changes, to Killington's snowmaking strategies/philosophies. Then again someone who apparently has maybe 10 years tops of sliding around on a snowboard, and has said that he'd rather ride a few inches of sleet over deeper powder, can't really be taken seriously, regardless of what his monions think