• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

deadheadskier

Staff member
I would be surprised if traffic isn't down considerably this winter. Typically does during a recession.

Between the high energy costs and the market in the shitter, lots of people will be spending less freely.

ducky

I would be surprised if traffic isn't down considerably this winter. Typically does during a recession.

Between the high energy costs and the market in the shitter, lots of people will be spending less freely.
You would not have known that last night if looking for a restaurant. Nada. Had Mad Taco on Tuesday and they were full, so tried Hyde Away. Ventilation probs and closed, so went to Bluestone. Parking lot full, line out the door. Gave our name and told 1/2 hour (at 6:30). By 7:00, all the folks in line behind us had still not had their names taken and the bartender let everyone know they were shorthanded; the host nowhere to be found, possibly helping in the kitchen. Went home and cooked for our guests. My guess is had we been in Stowe, we would have had 20 restaurants to choose from, Waterbury, perhaps 5 choices. This is peak leaf season and the town is packed with nowhere to go.

Gone: Smokehouse, Worthy, Sage. Closed: Big Pic, Thai'd, Flatbread, Hyde, SB options, Creemee, Soul, Peasant, Collaborative, Alpino Vino

tumbler

Such a bummer but I think Stowe and Waterbury are experiencing the same labor issues as the Valley. Crazy that a Wednesday night would be that crowded. Seems like Hyde Away closes once a week now and Flatbread never been open 7 days unless Xmas week. Hope some of the restaurant and mountain positions get filled for winter.

cdskier

You would not have known that last night if looking for a restaurant. Nada. Had Mad Taco on Tuesday and they were full, so tried Hyde Away. Ventilation probs and closed, so went to Bluestone. Parking lot full, line out the door. Gave our name and told 1/2 hour (at 6:30). By 7:00, all the folks in line behind us had still not had their names taken and the bartender let everyone know they were shorthanded; the host nowhere to be found, possibly helping in the kitchen. Went home and cooked for our guests. My guess is had we been in Stowe, we would have had 20 restaurants to choose from, Waterbury, perhaps 5 choices. This is peak leaf season and the town is packed with nowhere to go.

Gone: Smokehouse, Worthy, Sage. Closed: Big Pic, Thai'd, Flatbread, Hyde, SB options, Creemee, Soul, Peasant, Collaborative, Alpino Vino

I had no idea Worthy Burger and Sage are both gone...

As for the others being closed, most of those are always closed year-round on Wednesday nights so nothing surprising there. Surprised to hear how crowded it is right now (especially since we're post Columbus Day at this point). During ski season the MRV is relatively quiet mid-week.

1dog

Hard to manage an F&B business in normal conditions.
Even pre-Covid it was always '85% of all restaurants close within 5 years of opening' not sure that still is the case.
Lop on uneven traffic with mud, early summer, not a ton of places to sleep in MRV.
Add in Covid - keep hearing 25% of eateries never re-opened after the initial shut down.

Now 8-10% inflation ( its always higher in reality)

I've read where the 1-2 kids per family over the last 20-25 years wasn't enough to replace the work force in service or 'learning to work' starter jobs. Makes sense.

I was oldest of 4 - we were not considered a large family - needed to be 6 kids or more. Now three kids and no one invites you to their ski or beach house! LOL.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Yes, birth rate is impacting the service industry workforce tremendously. But it's also the fact that vacation home owners and retirees have all priced the locals out.

I went to high school and college in VT. Lived for about 5 years working in VT in my 20s. I and virtually everyone I know from highschool and college all left. Little money to be made and quite expensive to live there. Not worth it to be that close to the best skiing in the East. Importing seasonal staff seems to be the only solution workable now. No place to house them though.

1dog

The welfare reform of work-to-end in 18 months got gutted 8-10 yrs ago. So now, one can stay on assistance with no work requirement. It had its problems, ( if you earn $15-$20 an hour, they cut you off completely, instead of pairing it back).

And then of course the people who actually can't physically work get shafted because 30, 40, 50% of those on the dole are taking more than 'their fair share'.

How does this all end? It doesn't look pretty.

dustyroads

Are The Hostile and Tucker Hill open?

cdskier

That sucks about Tucker Hill their restaurant is great. Hope they open before Xmas

This is what their website says at the moment:
While our restaurant remains closed for the season, we are pleased to invite you to a special Harvest Dinner on October 8 and 9, 2022. Please return to the website for news about other special dinners, including Paella, and what we hope will be our winter menu and hours.

I like the restaurant a lot, but thought they were getting a tiny bit pricey over the years (last time I was there was the night everything shut down back in March 2020).

Shredmonkey254

This is what their website says at the moment:
While our restaurant remains closed for the season, we are pleased to invite you to a special Harvest Dinner on October 8 and 9, 2022. Please return to the website for news about other special dinners, including Paella, and what we hope will be our winter menu and hours.

I like the restaurant a lot, but thought they were getting a tiny bit pricey over the years (last time I was there was the night everything shut down back in March 2020).
quite the coincidence! We too were there the night everything shut down. In a big group, got a text message from the mountain that our cat skiing on Sunday morning was cancelled. We thought it was a prank...

cdskier

quite the coincidence! We too were there the night everything shut down. In a big group, got a text message from the mountain that our cat skiing on Sunday morning was cancelled. We thought it was a prank...

LOL. If you were upstairs then we probably saw each other. Not like the place is that big. I was at a table of 2 with my dad that night. Word was spreading through the restaurant as the various announcements came out.

cdskier

I think they r under new ownership since then

Hmm...looking at the recent reviews highlighted on their website, I think you may be right. I see numerous mentions in new reviews about "Susan and Steve" being the owners/hosts. I could have sworn the previous owner was Kevin (and can't remember his wife's name).

djd66

people on the dole. yes. that's the problem.
People on the dole certainly does not help. There were literally trillions that were handed out in one way or another during Covid. I have no idea why all these Restaurants did not make it in the MRV. I’m guessing it might have something to do with the lack of demand during slow times? I have to believe that can be very challenging. How much help do you need? How much food to buy? The restaurant business is tough, must be really tough in the MRV.