• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

HowieT2

They replaced drive belts on HG today and are running it at reduced capacity to "give them time to set and settle". Not sure how long that takes...
the heavens gate situation is ridiculous. old baseball saying, better to get rid of a player a year too soon than a year too late. That thing has got to go.
That said, I did get 3rd chair when it restarted saturday and chose to reward myself for the 20 minute wait with a run on an untracked paradise through knee deep powder.

Kingslug20

Guns blowing cement all over the place today...
Sporty ride down 89...crashes everywhere...

Kingslug20

It's really nice..just can't ski under the guns...super wet glop..
Steins was fun...still snowing...

cdskier

the heavens gate situation is ridiculous. old baseball saying, better to get rid of a player a year too soon than a year too late. That thing has got to go.
That said, I did get 3rd chair when it restarted saturday and chose to reward myself for the 20 minute wait with a run on an untracked paradise through knee deep powder.

I don't know much about lifts, but wouldn't a drive belt be a normal wear & tear item that gets replaced periodically (like in a car engine?). I don't consider that a major issue if so. And we already know they've started the permitting process to replace the lift so it isn't like management is ignoring HG's overall issues. What more do people want? You can't just decide one day to replace a lift and the next it is done...

FWIW, the lift was back to running at full capacity this morning.

cdskier

How old is HG?

38 years old at the moment (built in 1984)...which is not particularly old for a fixed grip lift. And it was rebuilt by SkyTrac in 2014, which means many key components are much newer. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely agree with people that it is time for replacement. But with the age and relatively recent rebuilding it would have been hard to justify doing it much earlier.

Kingslug20

Icy roads this morning...slipping and sliding..
Watched a van slide backwards..
Called 911 on a car that rolled down into the ravine...
People got to slow down...

hovercraft

yea so i am asking why 89 is full of wrecks if its a nice day? the roads were perfect driving home sunday
It was snowing lightly with a dusting on the roads, but enough to make them slippery. The visuals of no real snow accumulation on the road gave people a false sense of security which lead them to drive way to fast. There were 4 cars off the road between exit 12 and the Waterbury exit. A couple of times traffic came to a stop, then you would change lanes to get by. Once people were through they would start driving fast again and go off the road. Sometimes you just have to wonder about people. 89 was wild today for a Monday morning with hardly any traffic…..

ingsy

I think I read on here that Mt Ellen was opening on Wednesday. Do you think there will be ungroomed trails / powder given the recent snow?

SteezyRob

I think I read on here that Mt Ellen was opening on Wednesday. Do you think there will be ungroomed trails / powder given the recent snow?
i'm sure there will be ungroomed trails open, look at castlerock. depending on where you're willing to go you'll be able to find powder but it's still low tide so be careful.

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
My guess is the only "groomed" terrain will be what has had snow made on it. So that makes all of the blacks at Ellen ungroomed. Don't think they've made on Lookin' Good or Cruiser either, or the I-Pod (strange as Inverness was always #1 priority back during my tenure).

mbedle

20220416_001.jpg
Need help - Can anyone tell me what resort this was taken at? I believe the only options are Killington, Sugarbush, Stowe or Jay (if my memory serves me correctly). I am thinking Jay, but it was mixed in with pictures from Sugarbush and Stowe.

Last edited:

cdskier

My guess is the only "groomed" terrain will be what has had snow made on it. So that makes all of the blacks at Ellen ungroomed. Don't think they've made on Lookin' Good or Cruiser either, or the I-Pod (strange as Inverness was always #1 priority back during my tenure).

They did make snow on Cruiser I'm pretty sure and are currently making it on Inverness. I think Inverness was delayed this year due to a broken pipe if I recall correctly.