• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

KustyTheKlown

I love the bubble at Mount Snow. Great to hotbox…😂

lol. the only time i ever put the bubble down is when i am lapping it by myself at the end of the day and doing a full on scooby doo

06-22-21-045.jpg

urungus

Blue groomers are especially dangerous. Both you and I obtained the same injury on BLUE groomers (mine was at Breck). My broken wrist also came on a blue "groomer" (Middle Cannon). I can't recall seeing a serious injury on a steep groomer as people do more to control their speed and are more conscientious of those around them.
Broke my arm on a blue groomer at Whistler.

Kingslug20

The Snowdon bubble at K is the....most comfy thing I ever sat in...
Would make an interesting couch...

Kingslug20

Not a fan of pole sitting most times...but for taking pics on the lift...it works...
Especially slide brook pics..

WinS

The lift was the 8 pack at Big Sky. It you pull the bubble down it stays locked until arriving at the top terminal. It is really heavy so for it to sway that way the winds had to have been well over 60mph.

Last edited:

Hawk

I sit on my poles everytime up the lift. If I did not I would drop them. I'm too busy with my beer, bowl, bubbles, iphone, throwing bra's and undies on the tree, chair dancing, etc. ;-)

I am still with Kusty though. I don't like the pull down bubbles.

jimmywilson69

i'm indifferent except on bluebird day with no wind. leave that shit up. I will say having to hold my poles for 5 minutes blows.

ThatGuy

I have a carabiner attached to my jacket so I just clip my poles to it if need be. Just have to make sure it can break away easy if it were to ever get snagged on something…

mikec142

This is probably a hot take, but I find Birch to be a great run. Lots of options. You get to ski what's generally a mild groomer. But up top you can "drop in" via the moguls on the left or the groomer on the right. Go another 100 yards or so and you can stay on the groomer to the left of the trees or move on to the bumps on the right (or you could peel off left to Morning Star). Go another 100 yards and you have the trees to weave in and out of and two levels to play on. Keep going and you now can stay left for some moguls or stay right for a groomer. Can also peel off to the bottom of Morning Star.

MadPadraic

Also interesting how opposite we are in terms of preferences. When the mountain is 100% open and in mid-winter form, that's exactly the time when I want more terrain bumped up as soft, packed powder bumps are more fun to ski. When less terrain is open, that also means conditions typically aren't great. So then I don't care if more trails are groomed because icy, firm bumps are not exactly fun anyway.
(Emphasis added).

I certainly agree with you that soft bumps are nicer than ice bumps. I also prefer things left ungroomed after it has snowed. Where I potentially differ would be when the mountain is 100% (or close it) "open," but icy bumps are the norm on ungroomed trails. One thing I always really liked about Cannon was that they would leave most of the front 5 ungroomed after a storm if they were expected post storm winds to redistribute the snow.