• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

steamboat1

Yes it's the Meadows quad at Stowe installed last season. Same lift & same manufacturer as The Valley House chair going in at Sugarbush this season carpet loaded & all. That's why I said they'd look the same. Reason I said the Sugarbush lift will be a lefty is because the ladder to the motor is on the opposite side as the lift at Stowe which loads on the right side. Also the lift attendant shack & carpet seem to be on that side also. Rode that lift & a couple of other carpet loading lifts & I don't like the loading. I'm not a fan of these lifts & didn't notice much difference in speed as opposed to a regular fixed grip lift.

By the way Win said in the MRV forum the new lift will only run Fri, Sat. Sun. & holidays this season. I'd guess it'll run when when Super Bravo is on wind hold too.

Last edited:

HowieT2

Yes it's the Meadows quad at Stowe installed last season. Same lift & same manufacturer as The Valley House chair going in at Sugarbush this season carpet loaded & all. That's why I said they'd look the same. Reason I said the Sugarbush lift will be a lefty is because the ladder to the motor is on the opposite side as the lift at Stowe which loads on the right side. Rode that lift & a couple of other carpet loading lifts & I don't like the loading. I'm not a fan of these lifts & didn't notice much difference in speed as opposed to a regular fixed grip lift.

By the way Win said in the MRV forum the new lift will only run Fri, Sat. Sun. & holidays this season. I'd guess it'll run when when Super Bravo is on wind hold too.

My understanding is the carpet loading allows it to run 100'/minute faster than manual loading fixed grip for safety reasons. I admit it will take some getting used to, but it's really meant to help the less experienced. Doesn't do anything for the likes of us.

its going to run on the same schedule as the old lift. There is little reason to run it midweek non holiday when all the terrain is accessible from the super bravo which is invariably ski on at those times.

another piece of good news from win is that the skinny pancake is returning. Love that place.

steamboat1

My understanding is the carpet loading allows it to run 100'/minute faster than manual loading fixed grip for safety reasons. I admit it will take some getting used to, but it's really meant to help the less experienced. Doesn't do anything for the likes of us.
I assume the likes of us means experienced skiers. I don't like the loading & feel uncomfortable loading that way. I can't see how it helps inexperienced skiers when I as an experienced skier don't feel comfortable.

cdskier

its going to run on the same schedule as the old lift. There is little reason to run it midweek non holiday when all the terrain is accessible from the super bravo which is invariably ski on at those times.

another piece of good news from win is that the skinny pancake is returning. Love that place.

Completely agree on the lift schedule piece. No need for VH to run mid-week unless Bravo is down for some reason.

As for Skinny Pancake, I thought it was pretty good in terms of the food itself, but I thought the portions were a bit small and they were a bit pricey (although for being right on the mountain the latter is probably expected). I'd rather go over to Mutha Stuffers or Pizza Soul for lunch personally.

Jully

I assume the likes of us means experienced skiers. I don't like the loading & feel uncomfortable loading that way. I can't see how it helps inexperienced skiers when I as an experienced skier don't feel comfortable.

In talking with the SL staff, I was never given the impression that it was designed to be easier to load. I always was told it was just faster than a regular FGQ, but a heck of a lot cheaper than a HSQ and didn't have wind problems like a detach.

Definitely does not feel as comfortable loading as a regular chair, but I'll take it for the speed increase.

HowieT2

Completely agree on the lift schedule piece. No need for VH to run mid-week unless Bravo is down for some reason.

As for Skinny Pancake, I thought it was pretty good in terms of the food itself, but I thought the portions were a bit small and they were a bit pricey (although for being right on the mountain the latter is probably expected). I'd rather go over to Mutha Stuffers or Pizza Soul for lunch personally.

Im not in the habit of going to the village for lunch, but those guys deserve the effort.
skinny pancake is not cheap for sure, but I like it for breakfast and the wife and daughter like it for lunch.

HowieT2

In talking with the SL staff, I was never given the impression that it was designed to be easier to load. I always was told it was just faster than a regular FGQ, but a heck of a lot cheaper than a HSQ and didn't have wind problems like a detach.

Definitely does not feel as comfortable loading as a regular chair, but I'll take it for the speed increase.

I think the reason it can be run faster is that it's easier for inexperienced skiers so that they don't have to slow the chair down for them to load safely.

HowieT2

Yes, we are experienced. And that experience necessarily means a level of comfort with loading on to a chairlift. I assume once I get used to being shuffled on a carpet in to the loading zone, it will feel more comfortable.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Not sure why people have issues with the carpet load. It's a little weird the first couple of times because it's different, then it's fine. It sure beats riding a standard fixed grip lift. I'm sure we will be seeing more and more of them. I bet when they get around to replacing Heaven's Gate, that's what you'll see there too.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Not sure why people have issues with the carpet load. It's a little weird the first couple of times because it's different, then it's fine. It sure beats riding a standard fixed grip lift. I'm sure we will be seeing more and more of them. I bet when they get around to replacing Heaven's Gate, that's what you'll see there too.

A little weird the first time but no big deal. Summit last year was my first experience.
I just wonder how difficult they are to maintain? Freeze thaw overnight some snow gets on the carpet and freezes. Lots of moving parts on the carpet.

ironhippy

A little weird the first time but no big deal. Summit last year was my first experience.
I just wonder how difficult they are to maintain? Freeze thaw overnight some snow gets on the carpet and freezes. Lots of moving parts on the carpet.

Where I've seen them, the carpet is covered up at night

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Wouldn't it be similar to a magic carpet lift in this regard? I know some magic carpets are covered but not all.

Newpylong

If I was still in the Valley I would be super pumped about this upgrade. Everything from the lower base terminal to the reworked unload it's just a win win. Not only should it alleviate pressure on SB on weekends but if that lift goes down the rest of the mountain is still accessible. I wonder if they will install snowmaking in the future on Reverse Traverse or Heaven's Gate Traverse for insurance on this aspect?

I think the Bush has one of the best lift systems (both placement and type) around. I would think a new FGQ for Heaven's Gate would be the nest step when the time comes.

benski

I doubt Heavens Gate is going is being replaced or upgraded to a carpet loading quad any time soon. Last year they replaced most of the inner working of the lift so I assume the plan is to keep it for another 20 years.

steamboat1

Best picture I've seen so far of the base layout for the new chair. Posted by Schweig 1 on another site.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 82daadfa70336f825c929145b2a34e.jpg
    82daadfa70336f825c929145b2a34e.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 175

thetrailboss

Staff member
Best picture I've seen so far of the base layout for the new chair. Posted by Schweig 1 on another site.

attachment.php

Interesting. That is higher up the slope than I thought it would be. Also, what is that new building going up beside the lift? A new Mountain Ops building? Something for snowmaking?