• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Greg

Staff member
Anyone know approx. how many trails are going to be open on North Friday? "Big Chunk'' per the snow report seems a bit nebulous.

Interested as well. Wondering what if any nattys will be opening. Stein's is open with whales it seems. Happy that I held onto the reservation for the weekend. With Ellen joining the mix, the weekend looks solid! Good weather too.

cdskier

Interested as well. Wondering what if any nattys will be opening. Stein's is open with whales it seems. Happy that I held onto the reservation for the weekend. With Ellen joining the mix, the weekend looks solid! Good weather too.

The whales on steins aren’t that tall yet, but the gun powder was pretty silky and nice. Wind right now is blowing the snow off most of the trails though. Upper mountain is not too windy, but from allyns lodge down is pretty brutal.

Looking forward to Ellen tomorrow!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Greg

Staff member
Pretty much all of Gadd and LP aside from Paradise opened up! Whoot!

WinS

Yes, decided to move there first with the cold lower elevation temps. Easy Rider should be in good shape by tomorrow afternoon. We do have a curtailment tomorrow from 5-9pm so will be shut down. Maybe another on Friday. It takes a few hours to come down and another few to restart, so a lot of production hours get lost. We have decided to move the land gear from Hot Shot and Sleeper up to North Lynx and focus there over the weekend with that area closed. Then we will have it for next week when we can finish first wave of snowmaking with Birdland, Murphy’s, Ripcord and Organgrinder. Another nice squalls is producing a couple of more inches of snow this afternoon.

Bit of a change with snowmaking plans for LP. We had the overflow valve on Stein's rupture last night as we were starting up after the curtailment. Really unfortunate since the temps were so good for snowmaking. This is one of the issues with a curtailment as the pipes are most vulnerable as pressure builds up on a restart. We have a 1/2 curtailment again tonight. Some snowmaking can continue but we have to ramp down from 5pm to 9pm. The forecast has changed a bit and it looks like we will be out of snowmaking Monday and into Tuesday. So we will finish up Lower Snowball and Racer's Edge and then move to Organgrinder and Ripcord where the temps look best over the weekend. Possibly moving up to Looking Good and Elbow over at ME after we more off of the terrain park.

NYDB

North was great this morning. Was on the first North Ridge chair. Exterminator, bravo, encore, hammerhead were great until late morning. Lightly tracked Wind buff for a few and then rode great after it was chopped up.

Groomers were rough until the sun on em. Still firm and fast.

Didnt make it over to South. Legs done by lunch

STREETSKIER

Wow skiing was so good again today I did runs on upper jester snoball racers edge and gate house laps natural trails look like mad river grass and rocks sleeper was chunky hot shot whales-still , saw locals getting it while they can going to Be warmer next few days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STREETSKIER

38fa1b2ee56364894dfc77986d4e007d.jpg

Griswold

Who’s up this weekend and wants to meet up?

Greg

Staff member
20191221_140207 (1).jpg

Great day with my younger daughter today. Hit all the nattys at LP. Will explore Ellen tomorrow.

Slidebrook87

I heard that GMX was running on diesel today. Can somebody verify this?

Los

If it’s castlerock, nice job to them because it’s hike only right now. (Nice job as in there’s no way I’m hiking over to castlerock especially when the cover is so thin).

cdskier

If it’s castlerock, nice job to them because it’s hike only right now. (Nice job as in there’s no way I’m hiking over to castlerock especially when the cover is so thin).

Agreed on the nice job if it is cr (cr or spills were my first thoughts on that photo).

Although I bet cover on the cr trails is better than most of the trails I’ve been skiing. I just don’t think my legs could handle the hike right now otherwise I’d be checking them out.

Slidebrook87

It’s back up and running, but it’s not running very fast. Not a surprise to see it be on mechanical hold.