• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

When You Retire.....

drjeff

For those of you who don't live near a ski area, when (if) you retire, do your plans involve moving to a ski town?

I'm so convinced that I'll move to the Park City, UT area. Now I just need to convince my wife of the same thing in the next 25 or so years ;)

deadheadskier

Staff member
probably not; I like where I'm at with it's easy action to the beach, Boston and friends and family. I don't think the lady (non-skier) would go for it anyway.

It would be nice to have a vacation home or timeshare though.

frozencorn

My wife thinks we're going to VT, which is fine. Colorado is also acceptable.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
No, I'm committed to preserving the family property handed down to me, sacrificing my other wants for it... however I have not ruled out buying a second house (or shack) somewhere and spending a significant portion of winter away from home.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
I'd love to but probably not, may just get a second home in VT or something. I would be to concerned about my wife being left without family or friends if anything happened to me.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
My wife loves VT country. I'd like to be with in 45 minutes to a metro area though. Mass might be a better option.

deadheadskier

Staff member
My wife loves VT country. I'd like to be with in 45 minutes to a metro area though. Mass might be a better option.

you might dig the Portsmouth area of NH.....60 minutes to Boston, within 3.5 to all of New England's best except Jay. Even Sundown is only about 3.5 I think ;)

highpeaksdrifter

I already have the house in place, 5 minutes from WF. For now it's a ski/vacation/weekend place. When we retire the plan is to sell our house in Clifton Park, pay off the mortgage in Wilminton and live there.

Geoff

you might dig the Portsmouth area of NH.....60 minutes to Boston, within 3.5 to all of New England's best except Jay. Even Sundown is only about 3.5 I think ;)

That's an extremely high cost place to retire.

My criteria for a retirement location:
* Good public transportation
* World class medical care
* Ocean access
* Skiing access

I don't think it exists. Vancouver, BC is probably the closest in North America but their real estate costs are stupid-high at the moment.

For those of you who don't live near a ski area, when (if) you retire, do your plans involve moving to a ski town?

I would want to live in a Rocky Mountain ski town..and ski everyday..and in the summer travel to the East coast to visit friends and family. No Florida for GSS

Terry

I will stay right where I am at. I have 11 ski areas within an hour and a half of me. An hour to the ocean, and the mountains are in my back yard. Most all of my family and friends live close by. And I enjoy my 200 year old house and its quirkiness.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
I will stay right where I am at. I have 11 ski areas within an hour and a half of me. An hour to the ocean, and the mountains are in my back yard. Most all of my family and friends live close by. And I enjoy my 200 year old house and its quirkiness.

FU! :smash: :lol:

Oh wait, how often to you swim in that ocean ? :)

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com

Old homes is where it's at. See, Terry knows whats up. I may not have insulation, but I have 4 posts and 3 beams in every room, each one twice as heavy as the single main beam in a modern house.

Warp Daddy

I am retired live in a 106 yr OLD house too which we love .

It's in a small town on a beautiful river ,near the 1000 islands . WE are an hr from the nation's capitol of Canada and several other picturesque Canadian towns and small cities. It is 75 minutes from parts of the Laurentian Mtns in Canada and the Adirondacks offering up several ski areas and couple hrs from Whiteface or Gore .

There are 4 colleges to whet one's need for sporting and cultural activities.
Low taxes . low crime rate , low population density. a very good environmental quality and a very good medical center- AND A VERY LAID BACK lifestyle ----------------- all of which make it HARD to leave .

Even tho we do think about it at times but when we run the pluses and minuses here we are :D

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
+1

Except the old house part. You handymen can keep your old houses :D