• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

K2's Good Price?

WJenness

Sports Authority is the Wal Mart of sports outfitters... not that that is a horrible thing...

But what it means is that Sports Authority sells 'lesser quality' items than what you'd find in a ski shop or the like...

Stuff you'd get from SA is generally manufactured specifically for SA, and is more of a 'value' option than ski shop stuff which is typically more performance oriented...

I'm not saying you can't get good stuff that would be useful for you, but know that it isn't the same quality of gear you'd get in a specialty shop.

I was looking at the K2 skis they had last year and noticed that the models they sell weren't even on the K2 site... I have a pair of North Face hiking boots that I bought at SA over the summer... same story... non gore tex, not on the north face site.

Just buyer beware is all.

Happy ski hunting.

-w

Rambo

It looks like K2 took existing skis and had them renamed for the Sports Authority. Probably a regular K2 production ski with a customized name for the SA. Sounds like it may be a decent deal.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Have you checked your local ski shops? If you're looking for a beginner ski anyway, they usually have great deals. I only paid about $200 for my beginner setup, with bindings (mounted) and poles thrown in for free.

I tend to shy away from places like Sports Authority for ski gear...

wa-loaf

Just don't get boots from them. Go to a dedicated ski shop for that and pay a little more than you want to. It'll be worth it in the long run.

Looks like a good enough deal though.

lerops

It could be a good deal, but the only thing I would be concerned about is outgrowing the skis quickly. Then, it is not such a good deal anymore.