• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

another accident- Natasha Richardson in critical

drjeff

HitchUp1REX_468x730.jpg

with a bit of a wardrobe accident in the picture ;)

Seriously though hope she'll be O.K.

Warp Daddy

just finished reading the story on the net earlier . Tremblant can be a tough place this time of year. Sure hope she's OK. She apparently was not wearing a helmet according to various accounts i've read

Warp Daddy

Updated reports claim she was taking a private lesson on a BEGINNER trail , she was not wearing helmet even tho Tremblant "encourages" them . She fell. said she was originally OK to teh instructor SP took her down the hill where she apparantly refused treatment then went back to her hotel

She started feeling bad about an hr later and called 911 -- all of this comes from Tremblant's PR dept

drjeff

Updated reports claim she was taking a private lesson on a BEGINNER trail , she was not wearing helmet even tho Tremblant "encourages" them . She fell. said she was originally OK to teh instructor SP took her down the hill where she apparantly refused treatment then went back to her hotel

She started feeling bad about an hr later and called 911 -- all of this comes from Tremblant's PR dept

Sounds like we'll be hearing closed head injury/concussion in the news reports later

hammer

That's the tough part about head injuries...I remember keeping a close eye on my son after he took a bump to the back of the head after a fall at Wachusett a few weeks ago (he was fine, not even a headache).

drjeff

Fox news is now reporting that she's being flown from Montreal to New York and is apparently brain dead :eek: Let's hope that's not the case

Mildcat

Fox news is now reporting that she's being flown from Montreal to New York and is apparently brain dead :eek: Let's hope that's not the case

That's what I just read too, they said they're going to take her off of life support when she gets to NY.

Bergamo

curious event... beginner trail, with an instructor, on a flat area, according to reports, and maybe brain dead (hope the news wires are just being their jacked-up selves)....ya got to think of the times you did the slam/bang on trails ( I xc ski, sort of ) and got up and continued on.

drjeff

curious event... beginner trail, with an instructor, on a flat area, according to reports, and maybe brain dead (hope the news wires are just being their jacked-up selves)....ya got to think of the times you did the slam/bang on trails ( I xc ski, sort of ) and got up and continued on.

Just based on the reports that the instructor suggested rather quickly that she get checked out by the patrol makes me think that it was probably one of those quick, outside edge side slide hooks, where one's head can quickly get whipped to the ground

BLESS

who is this lady? I dont know......shes famous? Either waythe story sucks....prayers to her & her family.

2Planker

Sounds like a Sub Dural Hematoma --- Bleeding between your skull and brain that compresses the brain...

My 32 year old cousin died from the same thing. She was a CardioThoracic Trauma Surgeon, and was hiking w/ 6 other MD's and RN's. A slip and fall, banging her head on the ground. No Loss of consciousness or anything.... Then 20 mins later, dizzyness, neasea + and vomiting set in. By the time they got her to a hospital the intracranial pressure had shut down her breathing, and put her in a coma. 4 days on life support, No EEG activi
Sad, Very Sad.

Wear your brain bucket, and don't hesitate to get checked out if you have ANY N/V, or persistent symptoms. Neuro exam + pupillary responses are a must for even a mild head injury.

(from a 24 year patroller and trauma surgeon)

tekweezle

this is tragic.

i can;t comprehend how this can be fatal. everything suggests this was a low speed crash that wasn;t violent. they are very quick to say she was on a beginner trail, taking a lesson which makes me think there is more too this.

did go off trail by accident and hit a tree or an icy snow embankment? I know someone got killed at Belleyare a few years ago like that.

or did she get run into by someone?

mondeo

this is tragic.

i can;t comprehend how this can be fatal. everything suggests this was a low speed crash that wasn;t violent. they are very quick to say she was on a beginner trail, taking a lesson which makes me think there is more too this.

did go off trail by accident and hit a tree or an icy snow embankment? I know someone got killed at Belleyare a few years ago like that.

or did she get run into by someone?
Probably just a freak accident, caught an edge and went down hard, combined with her head hitting in just the wrong way. One of those things that if she were an inch shorter, going 5% slower, hit a spot on her head an inch away, etc., nothing would've come of it.

playoutside

Tragic indeed. Sad reminder to value and enjoy every day.

A doc on the news last night referred to this as a "talk and die" head injury. He described these as a seemingly minor bump on the head, no loss of consciousness, but then sudden severe headache and nausea which has been caused by blood pooling around the brain. Said it can strike as quickly as 20 mins to an hour after the accident.

The above sure made me rethink my perspective on the many times I've smacked my head doing something stupid.