• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

another accident- Natasha Richardson in critical

Trekchick

For a very interesting read/hijack - take a glance through the comment section at the end of that article :eek: :spin: :eek:

This just sounds like the 1 in 1,000,000 scenario fall that caused what appears to be an incredibly awfull outcome
I thought I linked the video that was a part of the article.
http://www.abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=7109626
This makes it seem much freakier than imagined.
I'm deeply saddened by this.
:(

Stache

Website
WWW.SKIWITHSTACHE.COM
Prayers for peace and strength to all involved.
I keep feeling for the Instructor.
No doubt with a celeb it was a senior Certified Pro.
How many beginners have we watched tumble, fall down, go boom, and get up to carry on.
This time???
I hope the Instructor returns to the line soon.

Last edited:

Glenn

I feel for the family. I can't even imagine. Everything seems fine, then off to the hospital and it just gets worse. How tragic.

Jisch

Very sad.

It makes the two nights I didn't sleep when my son had his two concussions worth it in retrospect. I hope that's the lesson here - keep an eye on anyone who has hit their head. The wrong lesson would be that people shouldn't ski because it's dangerous.

I wonder if this will increase the pressure for helmet use? I can imagine mountains insisting on helmet use for anyone in a lesson in the near future.

John

Hawkshot99

I wonder if this will increase the pressure for helmet use? I can imagine mountains insisting on helmet use for anyone in a lesson in the near future.

John

I hope not. Coming from somebody who sells helmets, and has worn a helmet for every run(except for 2) since they were 10 years old, I do not want them mandatory.

Bumpsis

I'm wondering if there were some predesposing medical conditions that gravely aggrevated whatever trauma she did sustain. If so, a helmet might not have helped her much. A brain will still get shaken up by an inpact regardless of how it is encased.

Warp Daddy

I can imagine a celebrity led helmet campaign mounting as we speak >

So sad what should have been a great great day at a beautiful place with her boys enjoying nature's bounty turned into such a tragedy. May her family be given the strength it will need to carry on .

automagp68

May she Rest in Peace
And may we all have a fun and Safe Rest of the season

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
I'm wondering if there were some predesposing medical conditions that gravely aggrevated whatever trauma she did sustain.

I've read speculation that the fall may have been a symptom of such a problem, not the cause. Only the autopsy will tell for sure. Regardless of the real cause, regardless of famous star vs. ordinary person, it's very sad.

SkiDork

A brain will still get shaken up by an inpact regardless of how it is encased.

I kinda don't feel like that is true. I have occasions where I have fallen, similar to previous falls and the helet takes the brunt of the impact and cushions it and spreads the impact over a greater area. In other words, as I'm falling, I'm thinking this is gonna hurt, bad. And it doesn't, with a helmet on. For kicks, try hitting your head into the back cushion of your couch, now do it against your latched door or chimney at the same speed and force. The cushioning effect has some benefits.

ski helmets DO NOT cushion (althought I wish they would especially when my head gets knocked by the chairlift bar). THey only spread impact.

mondeo

ski helmets DO NOT cushion (althought I wish they would especially when my head gets knocked by the chairlift bar). THey only spread impact.
They do both. Any deformation of the plastic or foam is a cushioning action. It feels pretty stiff because going softer actually reduces the amount of cushioning for impacts where you really need it.

SkiDork

They do both. Any deformation of the plastic or foam is a cushioning action. It feels pretty stiff because going softer actually reduces the amount of cushioning for impacts where you really need it.

Interesting. THanks for the info.