• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon/Mittersill

bluishgreen

Who currently owns Mittersill???

If you mean the small hotel and chalets, it's all independently, privately owned. If you mean the mountain, it's all owned by the state of NH as of now. Until just recently, only the lower 2/3 of the mountain was owned by the state after the sale from private owners (I think in '89, but forget), while the upper 1/3 was owned by the fed gov't in as part of the national forest. The upper 1/3 was what prevented the merge all these years, since that was needed to properly connect the mountains. The state and fed gov't finally did a land swap with some state land in the southern white mtn area.

While it changes the old feel at Mittersill, at least the federal legal agreement (due to an endangered species issue) of the land swap requires that they not build any new trails, nor can they widen existing trails, so the trails and terrain must remain about the same, other than some cleanup. What's more is that since they can't widen the path that the old double is in, they cannot install anything bigger than a new double as a consequence. So, even though things will certainly change over there, limiting the lift to a double will keep things to a minimum, since they can't legally put anything like a quad over there.

Given the economy and state budget issues, I wouldn't count on anything lift-wise for several years, though, so it will likely just be the cleanup and shuttle service for awhile, like people have been requesting here.

michael

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
If you mean the small hotel and chalets, it's all independently, privately owned. If you mean the mountain, it's all owned by the state of NH as of now. Until just recently, only the lower 2/3 of the mountain was owned by the state after the sale from private owners (I think in '89, but forget), while the upper 1/3 was owned by the fed gov't in as part of the national forest. The upper 1/3 was what prevented the merge all these years, since that was needed to properly connect the mountains. The state and fed gov't finally did a land swap with some state land in the southern white mtn area.

While it changes the old feel at Mittersill, at least the federal legal agreement (due to an endangered species issue) of the land swap requires that they not build any new trails, nor can they widen existing trails, so the trails and terrain must remain about the same, other than some cleanup. What's more is that since they can't widen the path that the old double is in, they cannot install anything bigger than a new double as a consequence. So, even though things will certainly change over there, limiting the lift to a double will keep things to a minimum, since they can't legally put anything like a quad over there.

Given the economy and state budget issues, I wouldn't count on anything lift-wise for several years, though, so it will likely just be the cleanup and shuttle service for awhile, like people have been requesting here.

michael

A few notes...

They have added a patrol doghouse on top of the Mittersill Peak (which I believe Riverc0il was referring to as Mt. Jackson, which was a name used for both Mittersill and Cannon at different times at the beginning of the 20th century). I believe the only current maps that label the peak call it Mt. Mittersill.

They have also replaced the ski area boundary sign (at the junction of the last groomed trail on the Cannon side) with a new Mittersill sign. They have also added a ski area boundary sign to the top of the Tuckerbrook Trail. The forest service boundary signs are still in the woods, however, if you look closely.

I'm not sure how accurate the statement is about people not climbing Mittersill to earn their turns (or using Tuckerbrook for that purpose). I have not been on Tuckerbrook, but I understand that parking is an issue (if you park at the bottom of it, you will be towed) and that the trail's width is narrow enough to make it dangerous to skin while people are skiing down it. That's second hand, but from a good source. Regardless, there is a measurable amount of climbing on Mittersill (though far smaller than those who access it via the Cannon lifts).

Finally, I believe the state is allowed and is planning to widen trails to their previous widths. At least in the case of the ones I've been on, this could be a significant change. On the Taft Cut Off Trail, this would mean doubling the width, based upon the canopy variation I've noticed while snowshoeing through there over the past two winters.

SIKSKIER

I watched the rope dropping

Saturday I had mixed feelings watching the rope dropping ceremony from our hangout on Taft.I would not even go near the place.There were maybe hundred or so people mobbed about half way up the saddle.No thanks.
A couple notes:The top of Mittersill is indeed Mt Jackson as Riv pointed out.He knows this terrain very well as I have learned reading his posts.The trails can be cut back to their original width only and this is why a double is only being allowed.The lift must be installed in it's original footprint and a triple or larger would need more clearing.
Being a Cannon skier for 37 years and living at Mittersill for the last 15,I have mixed feelings about this process.I do however think this ended up being a good compromise from a full on modern area and what exists now.I have read here and other forums about how sad it is to see these areas on NELSAP that have closed.Well this is one that has had a better fate in that sense.I can understand Riv's thinking of not changing anything but as he knows there are abundant stashes on many exposures around Mittersill that the lift served will not get you too.There is quite a lot that can only be accessed by hiking above where the lift will be.On a self serving note,the house I live in across from the main building should certainly see a great benefit with value increase in the coming years.Finally,blueish is probably correct in that it should be more than a few years before you will see any new lift go up.I think we watched for 7 years before phase 1 was started at Cannon as part of the redesigned detach and learning area.