• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Miracle on Ice

highpeaksdrifter

Jaytrek57 said:
But, the question was: Has there ever been a sporting event that meant more to American’s then The Miracle on Ice?

I'd probably rank that up there as #1. Others.

The Womens Soccer Team winning Gold.

Women's Soccer team winning gold on the short list of meaningful sporting events in American history? Come on, we don't care about no stickin soccer in the U.S.A.

tirolerpeter

"Stinkin soccer?"

Easy there Highpeaksdrifter. You may not care about soccer, but many of us do. In fact, I think it's about time Americans called it "Football" as the rest of the world does. The only foot involved in American "football" is that of the kicker. Many young Americans are developing into world class players. I expect it won't be too many years from now (if not 2006) that we will win the "World Cup." It is a great game for kids to play, and great to watch. My wife and I are great fans.

highpeaksdrifter

Jaytrek57 said:
But, the question was: Has there ever been a sporting event that meant more to American’s then The Miracle on Ice?

Seabisut vs. War Admiral (Laugh...but horse racing was astronomically huge back then)

Secretariat's triple Crown (again this was huge)

I like your horse racing takes. I found a picture of Seabisut and War Admiral taken in May 1938. It was one of the first color pictures in a newspaper. I found it under a floor I was helping a friend redo in an old apartment house he bought. Happened about 20 years ago. I had it framed and it's in great shape.

I saw Secretariat win the Belmont in person in 73 and saw him lose to Onion in the 1974 Whitney stakes at Saratoga.

I've been a big horse racing fan since I was a kid. Grew up about 20 miles south of Saratoga.

highpeaksdrifter

Re: "Stinkin soccer?"

tirolerpeter said:
Easy there Highpeaksdrifter. You may not care about soccer, but many of us do. In fact, I think it's about time Americans called it "Football" as the rest of the world does. The only foot involved in American "football" is that of the kicker. Many young Americans are developing into world class players. I expect it won't be too many years from now (if not 2006) that we will win the "World Cup." It is a great game for kids to play, and great to watch. My wife and I are great fans.

They where saying soccer will be big in the USA when all these kids grow up who are playing little league soccer now. Well, they were saying that 25 years ago, those kids grew up and soccor is a second tier sport in this country at best.

It's cool that you and your wife love it, hell I have friends who live in Masenna that watch curling on a Canuck channel. But to say it's important to Americans, I ain't buyin. That said, you don't care what I think, so to each his own.

tirolerpeter

Metric system

Jaytrek57 said:
Soccer in the USA is kinda like the metric system.

You know...it will catch on. :wink:

peace.

What makes you think we haven't switched to the "metric system" in this country. Do you buy booze? Have you worked on a car or machine lately? Considering the quantity of imported goods that we buy in this country, and the origins of many of the "components" used in so-called "made in the USA" products, we might as well be on the "Metric System."

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Re: Metric system

tirolerpeter said:
Jaytrek57 said:
Soccer in the USA is kinda like the metric system.

You know...it will catch on. :wink:

peace.

What makes you think we haven't switched to the "metric system" in this country. Do you buy booze? Have you worked on a car or machine lately? Considering the quantity of imported goods that we buy in this country, and the origins of many of the "components" used in so-called "made in the USA" products, we might as well be on the "Metric System."

Ask any engineer, but particularly one involved in design, and you will find out we are a looooong way from SI.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
By the way, while I have nothing against soccer, the woman's team win really doesn't belong anywhere near the top of the list in terms of historical great American sports moments.

The only reason 40% of the people that know about it do, is because of the chick that ripped her shirt off. I agree with HPD, for a number of years there have been promises it will catch fire in the US on a national professional level. Hasn't yet.

And we won't call it football like the rest of the world does either. If you need further evidence of America against the grain of other "world" (or more accurately, Europeanized world) sporting trends, just look to cricket and rugby.

Jaytrek57

By the way, while I have nothing against soccer, the woman's team win really doesn't belong anywhere near the top of the list in terms of historical great American sports moments.

Well we'll just have to disagree. No...not the Miracle on Ice, but IMHO in the Top 10.

What about Billie Jean King versus Bobby Riggs?
What makes you think we haven't switched to the "metric system" in this country. Do you buy booze?

You mean "booze" as in pints or half pints? Perhaps your refering to gallons? As in "I need to buy a gallon of the Captain so I can do 4 ounce shots tonight."

I'll grant you that everything is labeled in the metric system...but everyday use?

Peace.

tirolerpeter

Metric & Soccer

Jaytrek57 said:

Well we'll just have to disagree. No...not the Miracle on Ice, but IMHO in the Top 10.

What about Billie Jean King versus Bobby Riggs?
What makes you think we haven't switched to the "metric system" in this country. Do you buy booze?

You mean "booze" as in pints or half pints? Perhaps your refering to gallons? As in "I need to buy a gallon of the Captain so I can do 4 ounce shots tonight."

I'll grant you that everything is labeled in the metric system...but everyday use?

Peace.

I really didn't try to start a debate about the relative merits of various sports. I just wanted to point out that soccer is a really world-wide sport played in virtually every country. I agree, that it hasn't caught on in the USA to any great degree, but then, our demographics are changing as we babble on here. BTW, where do you buy pints, and gallons?