Mountain Lions - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mountain Lions

Quote Originally Posted by Connecticut View Post
    I respectfully disagree. I had lived in the Black Hills of South Dakota which is said to have the highest density of mountain lions in any area in the United States (estimated at 120) and there has never been an attack even with trail runners and mountain bikers. The biggest difference is that the mountain lions' food source was plentiful in the Black Hills and scarce in California. I think the food source is plentiful enough here to avoid attacks. Even so, I was always a bit weirded out when mountain biking through the Black Hills and I will now be more often glancing over my shoulders.
    [/url]
    Like California, Southern New England has a much higher human population density than South Dakota if a an apex predator was to get a little hungry.

friggin coyotes....

Quote Originally Posted by marcski View Post
    I've seen a few coyote's here in Westchester county. I'm sure they munch on small varmets and the occasional deer. We have seen some deer quarters and leg remains in various states of decomposition in our local woods. Our buddy, who's house abuts the woods, said that they see multiple coyotes in their yard often. No bobcats or mountain lions down here. (at least not that I know of).

oh, and skidiva...awesome looking fox pup!
    Coyotes eat anything..without much fear of anything = bad news for the rest of the local inhabitants. Should be bounty on em' = $$$ in every state...imho.
    SteveD

I definitely had a mountain liion sighting. The mountain lion crossed the road 20 feet in front of my car as I was making a left turn off Route 30 enroute to Plattekill ski area to teach an NSP OEC class on a Sunday morning. I had a student/friend in the passenger seat. He saw him too. There is no mistaking those big claws, long body, extremely long tail, and cat like running gate. My buddy's first response was that was definitely a very large cat. After the class we came back looking for some fur he may have left but we could not find any. It was a once in a life time privilege to see the big cat. It was also very convenient that we were in the well protected security of my car at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by catskills View Post
    I definitely had a mountain liion sighting. The mountain lion crossed the road 20 feet in front of my car as I was making a left turn off Route 30 enroute to Plattekill ski area to teach an NSP OEC class on a Sunday morning. I had a student/friend in the passenger seat. He saw him too. There is no mistaking those big claws, long body, extremely long tail, and cat like running gate. My buddy's first response was that was definitely a very large cat. After the class we came back looking for some fur he may have left but we could not find any. It was a once in a life time privilege to see the big cat. It was also very convenient that we were in the well protected security of my car at the time.
    - Good story.

You demonstrated the problem of scientifically proving the range of the eastern mountain lion. They have a way of disappearing without a trace (no prints or hair).

Quote Originally Posted by Talisman View Post
    Like California, Southern New England has a much higher human population density than South Dakota if a an apex predator was to get a little hungry.
    Good point.

Next time I mountain bike I will tie porcupines all over me to fend off any attacks

I wrote up my own article on mountain lions in the northeast here: http://ctxguide.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=887

Quote Originally Posted by marcski View Post
    I've seen a few coyote's here in Westchester county. I'm sure they munch on small varmets and the occasional deer. We have seen some deer quarters and leg remains in various states of decomposition in our local woods. Our buddy, who's house abuts the woods, said that they see multiple coyotes in their yard often. No bobcats or mountain lions down here. (at least not that I know of).

oh, and skidiva...awesome looking fox pup!
    How big do coyote's get?

A couple of months ago I was driving thru Suffield CT on my way to work. I was in pretty woodsy near the Metacomet trail, and area where my wife and I always see deer and wild Turkeys frequently. Almost every morning. I was at an intersection and what appeared to be a very large dog crossed to road very slowly. It was about the size of a large german sheapard and had a redish color furr. I would estimate it was about 100lbs to 120 lbs. The way it looked, its size and the way it moved had me thinking it was a wolf for bit. I assumed it was a coyote. But I didn't think they got that big. I can say with certainty that it was not a domestic dog.

Coyotes don't get that big. Males can be up to 60 lbs but they're usually in the 40-50 lb range.
    "Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own." ~ Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

Quote Originally Posted by MR. evil View Post
    How big do coyote's get?...
    It was about the size of a large german sheapard and had a redish color furr. I would estimate it was about 100lbs to 120 lbs. The way it looked, its size and the way it moved had me thinking it was a wolf for bit. I assumed it was a coyote. But I didn't think they got that big.
    It's funny that you say that. I saw an ENORMOUS coyote near Messerschmidt Pond a few months ago. It was definitely a coyote, but it was very large. If I were to guess, it appeared to be 60 pounds, but very tall and well above the norm.

It got me thinking about how the coyote is the apex predator here in CT and perhaps the coyotes are growing larger because of the abundant food source. The coyotes in the Black Hills were never that big.

Quote Originally Posted by Grassi21 View Post
    Before everyone rights off big cats in the area.... just remember, Steve-O spotted several cougars in the Nass area.

Yea but they were german cougars...Likely just transplants

steveo

Thread Information