• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Any news at Big Squaw?

newenglandskier1

Last year the owner apparently had a company come in and begin fixing the upper mountain chair, but they only were about 2/3 done by the time the season began. Hopefully this year they can operate at full potential. Anyone know what theyve been up to there?

jerryg

Last year the owner apparently had a company come in and begin fixing the upper mountain chair, but they only were about 2/3 done by the time the season began. Hopefully this year they can operate at full potential. Anyone know what theyve been up to there?

I would really like them (Him) to get his act together and open the mountain up again. I had thought that he had been putting off fixing the summit chair until he knew the outcome of the Plum Creek zoning. Now that it's been approved, we see that there has been all this work scheduled for this summer. Coincidence? Perhaps. Squaw is the real deal with over 1700 vert and classic NE trail designs, it's a fabulous mountain, albeit a ways a way for most, but I recall when I was at UMaine, it was a very easy trip.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Bump.

I was just mapping out some community ski area hits for next season and realized I'd better get to this one before Jeremy Clark decides to plant it on his page. Looks like dismal management is continuing. You can't even get to the top via lift anymore (hmm...idea....), and he didn't open until January. The 'loaf discussion group does a lot of dissin' over there, rightfully so. I hope it ain't too late for me.

Skimaine

The latest bit of "good news" is that the town is no longer going to plow the 2 mile long access road in an effort to save some tax payer coin.

UVSHTSTRM

The latest bit of "good news" is that the town is no longer going to plow the 2 mile long access road in an effort to save some tax payer coin.

Bout time, never understood why they did this, I don't believe it is considered a town road. With all the anger and such, I thought this would help send him a message years ago. Granted, the scumbag will probably and go out an spend 50g's on a big ford diesel with a plow instead of spending the money on the hill. Not sure how him and his wife can show their faces around town....maybe they don't. I understand it's his property and he can do as he likes, but if he can't run the place, why doesn't he do himself and town a favor and sell the place.

deadheadskier

Staff member
lack of a willing buyer?

I have a hard time seeing a mountain that is so remote being that attractive to investors. could be wrong. It's what? Another hour further from Boston than Sugarloaf or Saddleback?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Would like to eventually ski the place if a summit lift gets opened again. Obviously not worth the drive until that time.

I don't know all of the back story but it is a bad economy and I doubt it is a good time to sell a remote ski area with a broken lift. I think the owner must be in a catch 22 of sorts if he is holding out for a higher price. If the area continues to fall into disrepair and falls off everyone's radar even more, then that would even further lower the value of the area.

On the flip side, a new lift ain't cheap and who knows if he could ever get that money back. But in the meantime, it sounds like the place is operating as a good local's feeder area for kids and families with its lower mountain open. Better than being completely lost.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
They should do some type of State, County or Town take-over perhaps. Given its remote location, perhaps it could be better utilized and serve the local area as a Park with skiing/riding. They could work something out where the owner could get a tax break on the sales price, it would still be able to bring some jobs to the area and would hopefully stop NELSAP worries. They could probably find a company to lease the operations as well a la Sunapee. Just a thought....I've never been.. and don't know much more about the place than what I've read online (trustworthy source, eh?). I would love to take a trip up there, but as Riv says, not worth it until a summit lift is running.

wa-loaf

lack of a willing buyer?

I have a hard time seeing a mountain that is so remote being that attractive to investors. could be wrong. It's what? Another hour further from Boston than Sugarloaf or Saddleback?

It's a shorter drive from Bangor. Most of it's clientele have been locals in the past. With the Plum Creek development it might bring some more vacationers up that way too.

I think the guy has had some offers, but is holding out hoping to cash in with Plum Creek. In the mean time it continues to decay ...

Skied there in 80's it was a fun mtn and would love to see it come back.

bigbog

Agree with all said... wa-loaf..if Plum Creek truely wants a piece of the pie they're going to HAVE to scale down their plans a bit and get accepted.....and they should...the Squaw mtn part of it could work.
I havn't looked at where things stand now....as to what PC wants to do... It's apparent that they've gathered ideas from the wealthy who, from my experience of decades, has no idea just what great stuff is up and around the whole area. They have always wanted a paved amusement park type of environment...that has always looked like the great American suburb = Pathetically sad with what the scenario with the lake and wildlife, land and water, used to be..given the distance from most people's job locations.

Last edited:

Skimaine

Not plowing the road does not impact the owner at all. It only hurts the locals trying to keep skiing alive on the lower mountain. It's unfortunate all around.

EPB

Does anyone have a solid understanding of what must be done to bring Squaw's skier experience up to par?
I'd love to know how much it would realistically cost.

millerm277

Does anyone have a solid understanding of what must be done to bring Squaw's skier experience up to par?
I'd love to know how much it would realistically cost.

From my understanding, the only major thing is the lift. You need to rebuild a tower on a lift since it collapsed, and do all of the other work that's needed to bring an old lift up to par that hasn't been running in years. That is a sum of money that might be difficult to recoup, I have no idea what the market and such is like up there.

If the lift work is done, the other stuff would just be clearing of a couple years growth on the trails is, and whatever needs to be done to the snowmaking. Considering it's been less than 10 years, I'd think the last two items aren't huge amounts of $$$ compared to the lift, if they have been left to rot.

The rest of the area IS functioning in some form, which means the lodge/other facilities and lifts are working, and the reports I'd read said they do at least some snowmaking.

jerryg

Not plowing the road does not impact the owner at all. It only hurts the locals trying to keep skiing alive on the lower mountain. It's unfortunate all around.

Sure it does. He wants people to stay at the hotel and the condos, which is one of the reasons there is any skiing at all.

Squaw is farther away from Boston, millage-wise, than SL or SB, but given that you take i95 all the way to Waterville before taking state roads, the travel time probably isn't much more.

The Plum Creek development WILL bring people to the area. It was a playground of the rich in the late 1800's/early 1900's before the Depression. People will come back to that area, but weather they will only do so in the winter will be the question.

scootertig

Extremely Southern New England (Virginia)
(bump)

Can anyone point me in the direction of information about Big Squaw? I looked at their website, and it seems to be down, and I'm going to be more or less in the area in a few weeks and thought about dropping in for a few hours of skiing (just to check it off a list).

UVSHTSTRM

(bump)

Can anyone point me in the direction of information about Big Squaw? I looked at their website, and it seems to be down, and I'm going to be more or less in the area in a few weeks and thought about dropping in for a few hours of skiing (just to check it off a list).

Good luck, last I knew it wasn't open yet and may not open at all this year. They do very little snowmaking, the upper lift had work done on it by a Vermont firm, but does not work, the lower lift I believe works, but quite possibly wasn't used last year and they have gotten some natural snow, but not enough to open. Bottom line I doubt you will be skiing. Worst case you will be skiing the lower trails, best case you won't be able to get past the gate, it will just depress you knowing what could be.

bigbog

They should do some type of State, County or Town take-over perhaps. Given its remote location, perhaps it could be better utilized and serve the local area as a Park with skiing/riding. They could work something out where the owner could get a tax break on the sales price, it would still be able to bring some jobs to the area and would hopefully stop NELSAP worries. They could probably find a company to lease the operations as well a la Sunapee. Just a thought....I've never been.. and don't know much more about the place than what I've read online (trustworthy source, eh?). I would love to take a trip up there, but as Riv says, not worth it until a summit lift is running.

The state has about as much pocket cash for miscellaneous stuff as the owner...

scootertig...Just outside Greenville(look NE of SL, on southern end of Moosehead Lake... BigSquaw mtn/ski-area is ~2-4mi outside of town, on the western side of the lake. There's a decent little pub/restaurant(not elegant) just off the water....on righthand side after turning left off the main road at the light. Always find it interesting to stop in anytime when in area in Spring thru Fall = mainly when up to go off in directions to watch wildlife or after paddling w/out friends.

Last edited:

bigbog

It's a shorter drive from Bangor. Most of it's clientele have been locals in the past. With the Plum Creek development it might bring some more vacationers up that way too.

I think the guy has had some offers, but is holding out hoping to cash in with Plum Creek. In the mean time it continues to decay ...

Skied there in 80's it was a fun mtn and would love to see it come back.

Shortest/Easiest:
is from Newport (exit off I-95)...#23 north..thru village of Corinna & sm. town of Dexter to/thru Sangerville..to intersection with #15.
Left on #15(north)..thru Guilford, Abbot, Monson..to Greenville(30mi max)...
Once in Greenville #15 takes a left @blinking yellow light...goes up western side of lake.
~20mi Newport to Guilford
26mi Guilford to Greenville
In Kingfield, take left at little store/gas station(next to the river) = #16south
1)South on #16 to N. Anson......................................(~15mi) medium speed
2)North(left) on #16/201A to Solon(#201north)..............(~8mi) higher speed
3) north on #201 to Bingham.......................................(~8mi) high-speed
4)on north side of village take #16east to Abbot Village(~22mi) <---a backcountry town to village road(slowest link)
5)north on #15 all the way to Greenville.......................(~20mi) med-high speed
Sounds a little bizarre..but it's the shortest route.......~73mi(+/-) total:roll: As mentioned, it's not a spare of the moment hike.

$.01

Last edited: