• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jiminy Peak Monday 12/29/2003

nrthest

Skiing Trip Report
Jiminy Peak Monday 12/29/2003

Conditions: mixed ~typical northeast PP/granular on vhardPP/ice. some rock and gravel exposed on turkey, cutter, and jericho but not bad. jericho was ~icey. best early the day w/the nice freshly groomed carpets (though some ~ice chunkies). later in the day, conditions became 'beach-like' in places with the buildup of sand aka loose granular, and also became icey in places where the cover had been skied/boarded off, but overall held up pretty well.

Arrived at 745.
In line for the high-speed six at 825, but it did not open on time, and they redirected us to the triple. Triple's so slow relative to the six, that we were half way up the triple when the six opened and people beat us to the top... doh.

Because of the triple, we had to start wiith WestWay, took it to Upper and Lower Fox.

After the Foxes, it was up and down the six several times to Upper Whirlway / Lower Exhibition, Upper Whitetail, Jericho, several times each. Liftlines started getting thick 11ish. Had lunch 1130ish.
Having just been to Okemo, it was NICE! to hit some diamonds with ~some real steepness.

Losing track here of exact order of other trails, but we hit the rest of the diamonds -- noreaster, cutter, wild turkery, and repeated some from earlier -- jericho (doubleD), whitetail, whirlway, fox, and also hit a couple of the intermediates and easy's. Nice to make it up to Widows's Peak for my first time -- other times I've been at Jiminy it has not been open.

Stopped for a beer w/bro at Christiansen's tavern (nice tavern) at 130ish, enjoyable.

Relative to my 12/27 trek to okemo, jimpeak had better steeps and just as good or better snowmaking. Jiminy peak is smaller though -- ~fewer runs, shorter runs. Enjoyable day.

Joshua B

You picked a great day to ski! When I was outside for lunch, I was just wishing I was enjoying some spring skiing--my favorite type of skiing.

Greg

Staff member
Sounds very similar to conditions I saw at Butternut. The weather was spectacular though! Didn't head up to Jiminy today though cuz of the rain... :(