What do you ride? - Page 4

AlpineZone

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nek_crumudgeon
    On Crank Bros. Pedals - I love them, especially the Candy's pictured above, but there have been problems with durability. The eggbeaters are similar, yes, but the lack of platform wreaks havoc on the bottom of shoes and can cause hot foot.

Rides: Trek Fuel 98/new XTR
    Fisher Rig 29er
    Full custom Ramblumtick Cross Bike w/ Dura Ace
    Trek OCLV USPS w/ Dura Ace
    Wow man. You've got a lot of money in your bikes. How do you like the 29er? Do you use front suspension on it?
    Making sanity obsolete since 1982...

Quote Originally Posted by nek_crumudgeon
    On Crank Bros. Pedals - I love them, especially the Candy's pictured above, but there have been problems with durability. The eggbeaters are similar, yes, but the lack of platform wreaks havoc on the bottom of shoes and can cause hot foot.

Rides: Trek Fuel 98/new XTR
    Fisher Rig 29er
    Full custom Ramblumtick Cross Bike w/ Dura Ace
    Trek OCLV USPS w/ Dura Ace
    I have heard only good things about the Eggbeaters. Has hot foot actually been a problem for you because in the reviews I haven't seen anything about it. I'm leaning towards the Eggbeaters for my next bike as opposed to the Candys because of all of the issues I've read about with the platform of the Candys.
    Fear should be treated like fire - it's a good thing that can keep you warm but it can also burn down the house

ski bum: I've had both and the candy's have held up better, especially banging around in the roots and rocks. Ultimately what happens, though, is that you pop the outboard bearing on the 'beaters easier. I'm not sure why. I didn't get hotfoot with the 'beaters, but I also have super stiff Sidi shoes that eliminate that problem. If you have non-carbon soled shoes, it's a possibliblity that you'll have an aching arch.

Marc - I enjoy the 29er, but I haven't really ridden it in single track yet. It has a stock Reba on it. I'm a big believer in Rock Shox upper-mid range forks versus the high end stuff, so it seems to do the trick right now. It's a bit pokey on acceleration, I've noticed.

Did you ever consider using a rigid fork on the 29er?
    Making sanity obsolete since 1982...

Marc -

Not really. The cross bike is straight bladed rigid and I ride that anywhere on the KT that my other bikes go. It was custom built by an old college roomate who built the rear out of mountain bike tubing to stiffen it up and he made the tire clearance HUGE, so I can run the 700c equivalent of a 1.95 or 45c tire.

In my mind, the 29er works somewhere between the cross bike and the Fuel, depending on trail conditions/mood/etc.

Banned
    Road:

Cannondale R3000

MTB:

Klein Adept race

hey,,,,,another R3000 owner!!!! i love my R3000......got a steal on it last spring....
    updownupdownupdownupdown

2003 Specialized Big Hit Expert set-up for DH with a Shiver DC Front fork and a Avy rear shock.

2001 Haro BMX Dave Mirra Flair Pro.

2002 K2 Zed 1.0 XC Hardtail Bike

2003 K2 Attack 1.0 All Around Full Suspension Bike

2003 KTM 125SX Dirtbike with engine

Soon to come a new hardtail...

2004 Cannondale Ironman 2000, here with a friend of mine. Matching bikes!!!
    "Never take no cut-offs, and hurry along as fast as you can." Virginia Reed, Donner party survivor

Thread Information