• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Did Mount Snow lose the Dew Tour?

jaywbigred

...saw this as a rumor on Facebook.

Dew Tour website seems to confirm that this year's east coast stop will be, of all places (grrrrr): Kmart.

http://www.allisports.com/winter-de...0-11-schedule-elevates-to-a-22-foot-superpipe

How did this happen? I haven't been on AZ much in the last couple months...did I miss a thread about this (I did run a search and couldn't find one)? What are the reasons? I didn't see anything on the Passholder's site either.

Too bad =(

neil

For it to be at Killington is going to cause some epic offseason flame wars.

Geoff

I'm sure most Killington regulars would be happy to push the event to Mount Snow. Based on previous years, it's going to really screw up the traffic flow on Bear Mountain at Killington for two weekends and that includes the MLK long weekend. A high speed quad and a fixed grip quad end up feeding one way down on lower Wildfire. They have to line the whole thing with Ambassadors with slow skiing signs. It gets all bumped up by 11:00 and is the biggest clusterF you've ever seen.

drjeff

Some of Mountsnowfish's facebook posts this morning now make much more sense :(

millerm277

I wish you'd take it back. Killington has a history of spending all their money and snowmaking capacity on these events, which tends to shortchange all the parts of the mountain that are actually open.

TheBEast

Bear mountain is SO NOT built for that kind (or size) of event.....what a cluster that will be...wildfire on a busy weekend already is in tough shape by 11 am.....this will just make it worse.

drjeff

I wish you'd take it back. Killington has a history of spending all their money and snowmaking capacity on these events, which tends to shortchange all the parts of the mountain that are actually open.

Wait until you see just how much snow they need to make, by basically MLK weekend, for the Dew Tour :eek: The folks from Snow Park Technologies(the same guys that built the "secret 1/2 pipe in the Silverton backcountry for Shawn White and Red Bull) need about a solid week to push everything around, and shape the course and 1/2 pipe, let alone the folks from Alli Sports setting up all the lights/scaffolding/TV cables, etc

jaywbigred

Mt. Snow now has the explanation on their Facebook page. Makes sense once they lay it out. Impetus was Dew Tour demanding a 22 inch super pipe, and Mt. Snow not having the infrastructure to build it without a lot of expensive excavation work (and the attendant permitting process). Fine by me, esp. if it means all that snow making can be diverted elsewhere.

drjeff

Mt. Snow now has the explanation on their Facebook page. Makes sense once they lay it out. Impetus was Dew Tour demanding a 22 FOOT super pipe, and Mt. Snow not having the infrastructure to build it without a lot of expensive excavation work (and the attendant permitting process). Fine by me, esp. if it means all that snow making can be diverted elsewhere.

Fixed it for you Jay ;)

Glenn

That's a bummer. We had a good time at the Dew Tour last year. We made sure we arrived early for good parking. We did some skiing, then scoped out the event. We got so much schwag too. But I'm sure the mountain will bring another big event. Mt. Snow has a way of delivering.

millerm277

Bear mountain is SO NOT built for that kind (or size) of event.....what a cluster that will be...wildfire on a busy weekend already is in tough shape by 11 am.....this will just make it worse.

Yep. Although this isn't a new occurance, Killington held something else that takes up a similar amount of size for a couple years recently (can't remember the name).

deadheadskier

Staff member
Mt. Snow now has the explanation on their Facebook page. Makes sense once they lay it out. Impetus was Dew Tour demanding a 22 inch super pipe, and Mt. Snow not having the infrastructure to build it without a lot of expensive excavation work (and the attendant permitting process). Fine by me, esp. if it means all that snow making can be diverted elsewhere.

Fixed it for you Jay ;)

paging thorski to the red courtesy phone :lol:

Mildcat

Fixed it for you Jay ;)

I was thinking a 22" pipe didn't seem so daunting.

31CD915E-1D09-3519-AD7278E1A4547-1.jpg

deadheadskier

Staff member
would Skye Peak make more sense for a big competition like this more so than Bear? Utilize Upper Ovation, SuperStar, and Skyelark for all the various competitions?

suppose Bittersweet would turn into the mess that Wildfire is expected to over on Bear. It just seems to me that it offers better spectator access plus more ways to avoid the comp. If I were a regular, I'd rather forfeit that trail network than Bear.

drjeff

would Skye Peak make more sense for a big competition like this more so than Bear? Utilize Upper Ovation, SuperStar, and Skyelark for all the various competitions?

suppose Bittersweet would turn into the mess that Wildfire is expected to over on Bear. It just seems to me that it offers better spectator access plus more ways to avoid the comp. If I were a regular, I'd rather forfeit that trail network than Bear.

Having seen 1st hand the size of the village that comes with the Dew Tour the last 2 years, the Bear Base area is a much better fit than the K Peak base area.

If the comments about this over on K-zone today are indicative of things to come, there's going to be some UNHAPPY K regulars, especially when it comes to snowmaking useage and then limited facility access/traffic flow issues ovr at Bear in the week or so leading upto the Dew Tour and the few days after.

Geoff

Having seen 1st hand the size of the village that comes with the Dew Tour the last 2 years, the Bear Base area is a much better fit than the K Peak base area.

If the comments about this over on K-zone today are indicative of things to come, there's going to be some UNHAPPY K regulars, especially when it comes to snowmaking useage and then limited facility access/traffic flow issues ovr at Bear in the week or so leading upto the Dew Tour and the few days after.

The real issue is snowmaking capacity for an event that starts on January 20th. It takes a significant amount of compressor and water capacity to blow snow for all those huge mounds. They have a fan gun for the half pipe but they still have to mine snow from above to make the pipe. When Killington staged that kind of event in March or April, it was no big deal. In January, there's no telling if they'll need that capacity elsewhere.

With that date, it's pretty obvious why Mount Snow walked away. MLK weekend generates a lot of revenue and it would be bad business to have a thaw and need to devote a big chunk of your scarse water supply to an event.

I don't know what they're thinking staging an event in Vermont in January.