What's up with Maple Valley?

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

What's up with Maple Valley?

I drove by the defunct Maple Valley ski area in Dummerston, VT, yesterday, and it looked like there was some work being done on the base lodge. I know it was for sale a while ago. Anyone know what's going on?

Last edited by Ski Diva; Aug 19, 2010 at 6:23 AM.

That's just a few miles from our place in Dummerston. They've been doing some digging behind the base lodge for about a year or so. Not sure what they're doing. You used to be able to see the old groomer they had there...and a few fan style snowmakers. I haven't seen either for quite some time.

I beleive they keep the lodge heated or at the very least, above freezing. When we drive by, early in the AM on our way to Mount Snow, you can see some heat waves coming out of a metal chimney.

It's been shut for so long, I don't know if the lifts could be salvaged at this point. It's sad to see the place just fade away.
    SoVT

they have been digging behind the lodge for quite some time, they replaced some sort of water or sewage pipe, glenn is right they do keep the place somewhat heated, the snowmakers and groomer are in the storage shed, the place is really fallen apart with big time trail erosion and most the equipment destroyed. They are doing some logging on the skiers left of the mnt very close to the summit double last time I checked. As far as I know its still for sale, sad to see the place fall apart

If I ever hit the lottery, I'd buy that place and open it up for the locals.

I'll try and do some digging. One of our neighbors is a contractor and I'll see him this weekend. He may know the low down. Another neighbor works for the town; I bet she'll have some insight.

A lot of our neighbors used to ski there back in the day. They said it was a great place to go. It's how many of the weekenders up there ended up buying a place on the road we're on.
    SoVT

Quote Originally Posted by Ski Diva View Post
    Looked to me like they were painting the base lodge, too.
    well if its still for sale its a good idea to keep it lokking as nice as possable. glenn if u do win the lotto give me a job spinning the t-bar

Quote Originally Posted by MrMagic View Post
    well if its still for sale its a good idea to keep it lokking as nice as possable. glenn if u do win the lotto give me a job spinning the t-bar
    You bet! That's the least I could do.
    SoVT

Quote Originally Posted by MrMagic View Post
    glenn if u do win the lotto give me a job spinning the t-bar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    You bet! That's the least I could do.
    Sign me up too!
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by bvibert View Post
    Sign me up too!
    I would like the position of Official Snow Tester please. I'm willing to get up early on any powder days to report on the conditions. Thanks.
    Whatever hits the fan will not be distributed evenly.

I was given a personal tour of the area years ago (after they had closed)...the lodge, if I recall, was used briefly after the ski area closed as a bar. I haven't driven by in a few years, but there used to be a sawmill operating out of the parking lot (across the road).

The chairlifts have seen better days...at this point it would likely take sigificant investment to get them to pass inspection - new cable, etc.

The area was unique in that the lifts, etc. operated off a large diesel generator or two.

Seeing the facilities and knowing some of the achillies heels of the area, it would require work similar to that done at Crotched to get this one going again - it's definitely not as turn-key as some other NELSAP rebirths over the years (not that those were simple turn key startups), such as Tenney, Ascutney, Haystack, etc.

Thread Information