• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Anybody been to Magic Mt this week?

tmcc71

I was thinking about going Sunday. i am an expert skiier, the girlfriend is a lower intermediate. Should i wait for more cover or go for it. My other choices would be B east or crotched. tim

farlep99

I'm heading up tonight! Sounds like the last few days (especially Mon) have been epic. I'd say normally it'd be fine on Sunday, but the forecast is saying rain, so keep an eye on that. It maybe be messy everywhere in the NE on Sun.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Crotched would offer the most lower intermediate groomer terrain of the three. You might be bored though. Depends how much you value your relationship versus your turns. :lol:

polski

Website
twitter.com
I have not been to Magic yet this season but they have been honest in reporting thin cover in spots on tougher terrain with only natural snow. However they've also got plenty of mellower groomers on their East Side, some with snowmaking. You certainly wouldn't be bored and I doubt your gf would be either.

If you choose Crotched, dunno if they had enough snow (and if wind left enough of it) but consider hiking from the "summit" chair unload to the actual summit - some nice turns to be had up there when conditions are right.

lazyasian

I'll probably be there on Friday, so I'll let you know then. It looks like they got some much needed snow from this storm, but still have some thin cover. They've been opening trails like crazy this week though!

If you've never been before, Magic is a great mountain. One of my favorites in the east. As far as southern Vermont goes, they've definitely got the most interesting terrain around, and the place also has a great vibe - it's a skiers mountain, not a resort. It's also a mountain that could use your business. I'd definitely head up if I were you!

Paul

Was there yesterday with the kid. Very thin, but skiable. Bring rock skis, tons of exposed rock on all but one or two trails, as well as assorted grunge. Still better than most of the other options nearby.

drjeff

You gotta remember that even with this weeks big storm, seasonal snowfall across So Vt this year has totaled maybe 3 feet, and a good foot of that fell long before this weeks storm and subsequently went back through the phase change from frozen water to liquid water with the multiple warm weather wet events that hit right after Turkey Day and then again mid-month. So while they got a bunch of snow this week, that light density stuff couple with a good 48 hours of heavy winds doesn't exactly make for anything resembling a consistant base on natural snow terrain in any of So Vt right now.

bheemsoth

We were over at Magic today. The coverage was very thin in spots, with much of the west side in rough shape. They definitely need some nice wet base building snow followed by a dump to get the trails in order. My girlfriend and others that we were with weren't all that thrilled with the conditions, but at least the lift lines were short, and the price was right.

It was my first day at Magic. I didn't dig the conditions today, but I did dig the terrain. They'll be the first mountain I hit next storm.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
We were over at Magic today. The coverage was very thin in spots, with much of the west side in rough shape. They definitely need some nice wet base building snow followed by a dump to get the trails in order. My girlfriend and others that we were with weren't all that thrilled with the conditions, but at least the lift lines were short, and the price was right.

It was my first day at Magic. I didn't dig the conditions today, but I did dig the terrain. They'll be the first mountain I hit next storm.

How was the east side? Are they still making snow and where? Did they put up "thin cover" notices?
I think in fairness to the 1,000 lurkers to this forum (many who would be blue and green skiers) it would be good to hear about the whole mountain. I also doubt that most people know the difference between east (blues and greens) and west (primarily blacks) sides.

bheemsoth

How was the east side? Are they still making snow and where? Did they put up "thin cover" notices?
I think in fairness to the 1,000 lurkers to this forum (many who would be blue and green skiers) it would be good to hear about the whole mountain. I also doubt that most people know the difference between east (blues and greens) and west (primarily blacks) sides.

The east side was pretty bare as well, with thin cover on most all the beginner/intermediate trails, and little snowmaking, with the exception of the top of the mountain coming off the double and Show Off.

drjeff

FWIW, at my place at Mount Snow right now about noon time, it's overcast and 46 degrees :eek: I'm thinking looking North that the weather/temps aren't that much different 25 or so miles North at Magic now. We need another good storm, or atleast a week of some steady, persistant upslope/lake effect, which now, after these temps get a little moisture content into the snow that fell earlier this week, and some cold returns in a couple days, will finally act as some GOOD base snow :)

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
FWIW, at my place at Mount Snow right now about noon time, it's overcast and 46 degrees :eek: I'm thinking looking North that the weather/temps aren't that much different 25 or so miles North at Magic now. We need another good storm, or atleast a week of some steady, persistant upslope/lake effect, which now, after these temps get a little moisture content into the snow that fell earlier this week, and some cold returns in a couple days, will finally act as some GOOD base snow :)
Agreed. The only downside is that I had planned to ski somewhere on Monday. Now with declining temps at that time, I'm probably going to be dealing with FGR.

Masskier

I'm at Burke and just came in for lunch. At 1:05 PM it is 29 degrees with blue skies. The mountain is in great shape

jrmagic

I just got back from a week at Magic. As DrJeff mentioned the weather pattern for SoVt has not been great. The powder we received on the 26th was phenomenal to ski on early in the week with face shots a plenty and most of the mountain open however those winds ripped much of that off the trails and into the woods leaving many trails with only residual natural snow. They were snowmaking well into the storm and once the winds let up a bit afterwards they resumed snowmaking on the beginner area at the bottom of Hocus Pocus then temps were not condusive to further snowmaking. Hopefully we get some nice sticky stuff to tamp down the fluff in the woods and lay some nice cover on the open trails.

Thanks to all those that came to check out Magic:daffy:

Last edited:

icedtea

Hit up Magic on the 27th. Love the mountain, everyone is very friendly and hooked up some good directions to some slackcountry.

Will definitely go back there.

RustyGroomer

Magic Monday 12/27/10 :spin:

162610_1803796458345_1342860205_3630825_4477194_n.jpg

163649_1803832779253_1342860205_3630839_8196480_n.jpg