• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Is Bethel more lively during weekends?

New Daddy

I've just been to Sunday River during midweek. I really liked the mountain itself, but I had to dock a couple of points for two things - the town and the daycare (more on this in a separate thread).

Bethel seemed really quite and even deflated during this past midweek. Not many people walking on the street, few cars passing by, and few shops to sample. Other ski towns situated adjacent to comparable mountains - Ludlow and Stowe off the top of my mind - are much more energetic even during non-holiday midweek.

Does Bethel become more lively during weekends, or did I witness a representative portrait of Bethel period?

bigbog

.......Bethel seemed really quiet and even deflated during this past midweek. Not many people walking on the street, few cars passing by, and few shops to sample. Other ski towns situated adjacent to comparable mountains - Ludlow and Stowe off the top of my mind - are much more energetic even during non-holiday midweek.

Does Bethel become more lively during weekends, or did I witness a representative portrait of Bethel period?

$.02....
Have you been to Killington(the access road)? Along with Stowe and Okemo....they have a nice nightly groove...fwiw.

Edd

As a visiting skier I've never known the downtown area of Bethel to be a lively place. It just isn't situated that way. The Sudbury has a nice setup but I always used to hit it at the most overcrowded times so I gave up on it and would prefer to stay closer to the River.

I've heard ideas about some sort of walking village setup at SR and I'm guessing it would work.

maineskier69

To answer your question, Bethel (and any other ski area town) is more lively on the weekends than midweek. Bethel is a quieter town to begin with so take away the weekend warriors and it can be desolate but there is usually something going on somewhere either on the access rd or downtown (Suds Pub, Funky Red Barn)
But being able to ski mid-week is CLUTCH! I would trade a quieter night life for empty slopes anytime.

mlkrgr

To answer your question, Bethel (and any other ski area town) is more lively on the weekends than midweek. Bethel is a quieter town to begin with so take away the weekend warriors and it can be desolate but there is usually something going on somewhere either on the access rd or downtown (Suds Pub, Funky Red Barn)
But being able to ski mid-week is CLUTCH! I would trade a quieter night life for empty slopes anytime.

As someone that goes there by day trip bus typically, don't get to see much other than the ski area, but its a lot more lively on the weekends from what I see.

2Planker

In Bethel
Suds Pub - "Best Bet" for something going on in Bethel.
Millbrook Tavern - @ Bethel Inn, Good Mexican Night - Thursday
Funky Red Barn, Pool, Darts, Cheap Drinks

On 26, between Bethel and SR:
Jolly Drayman, English Pub, nice small bar, Great Food !
Rooster's Roadhouse, (across the street from Jolly Drayman)

SR Brewery - at Access Rd corner

On Access Rd:
Casa Del Rio - New in town - Mexican
Matterhorn Ski Bar - "Thumbs Up", Good Apres Ski

at SR
The Phoenix across from South Ridge Lodge - Great Place, Good Apres Ski
Gringo Harry's @ Fall Line Condo's - Good Food, not really for "Nightlife" though...
Foggy Goggle - Upstairs, South Ridge Lodge, Can be crowded Apres Ski - Sat.
Barker Bar - Upstairs, Barker Lodge
ShipYard Brew Haus, White Cap Lodge

Legends @ Summitt Hotel - Thursday Nite Trivia
Slider's @ Jordan Grand Hotel

Last edited:

SkiFanE

Bethel rocks. My second home is in the village. Unfortunately I don't get there much weeknights, but lower Main St. (Suds, Cho Sun) gets busy weekends. Not drunk fest busy, but Suds is always happening and always has live music. For us it's perfect, us and kids can walk to everything we need. Don't want it to become more than it is, truthfully. And Hot Taco..yummy stuff.

Carpet definitely rolls up early, we've all got to ski tomorrow.

UVSHTSTRM

$.02....
Have you been to Killington(the access road)? Along with Stowe and Okemo....they have a nice nightly groove...fwiw.

I think he knows this, considering he mentioned 2 of the 3 above as being more vibrant. He was simply asking is Bethel always low key?

snowmonster

Perhaps because I'm no longer part of the party-hearty crowd, I actually like Bethel because it's a quieter town -- more residential and academic (Gould Academy is smack in the middle). I usually go there for dinner (I recommend Cho Sun for Japanese and Korean food and the Sudbury Inn for American or continental fare). The Suds Pub seems like a fun place. For more of a ski-bar experience, the Matterhorn on Sunday River Road will not disappoint.

MonkeyBrook

Bethel is a great town, the SR area has tons of stuff to do...you just need to know where to look and come with your own crew of people. We are never lacking for something to do or somewhere to go....and no offense to K access road but many at SR wouldnt be at SR if that was what they were lookin :beer:g floor. And I spend alot of time on K access road in my earlier years.

Vortex

I usually find something to do. Follow the mid week specials and you find what is going on. 2 planker has pretty good feel for the place. Been on vacation for a week there. Monday the phoenix, tues was the horn, Wed I can't remember. ow yea the cantina. Thursday was the trivia at the Grand summit. I missed suds for hoot night. Bethel is quieter mid week, but fun can be found.

bigbog

I think the OP was comparing "ski towns". The Killington Access Rd is not a ski town.
Not sure about that WWF-VT...just like many places...I think it's one thing to non-locals & another to locals..as well as being age-group dependent.....

SIKSKIER said:
You want action then go to Bobr's place.:razz:

ROTFL........

*But true....not many chances to race cars down the middle of Bethel's main drag on Saturday nights, but his place on a cookout evening is somethin' else.....;-)

Last edited: