• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Burke announcement

zeke

That's because the bulk of the information isn't coming from the mountain but from this thread and most of it is just rumors.

Obviously Ary was misquoted or misunderstood in the Cal record. They started making snow on 11/14 which is probably the earliest Burke has ever started. They learned their lesson last year.

and Mark Castro (chef from Jay) hasn't quit. He is still there and doing an excellent job. I see him every week.

MassSkier-sorry if offended you in some way by mentioning you in the post. my intention was not to hurt anyone’s feelings, but to point out the constant disconnect between what is said and what is reality. and i stand by each of those statements (except the last, i’ve never spoken to ary sr but as he continues to allow his spawn to f-up everything he touches and burn most bridges i take as a soft approval)

the rest though, i stand by–none are rumors.

the ca record thing may have been a misquote or misspeak-i dont know, you don’t know. we weren’t at the interview but what was stated is the record until i see a retraction, so the assumption there is 100% on your part.

by the way, your position that this is the earliest they’ve blown snow ever is just plain wrong. ask anyone who used to work there when it was run by people with experience–i’m sure you see them in town–and they’ll tell you that that is patently wrong. (as they did me when i asked them last week)

glad the chef at Jay is there and you’re enjoying his cooking, but i was talking about the FnB that you were touting and then never mentioned again when asked pointedly. he is not currently employed at burke, correct? if so, you should tell them to update the site and take that job posting down.

which brings me to the “fully staffed” quote.another misquote? doubtful. out and out lie? probable

so if there’s something i’m missing please enlighten me. it would be great if someone as in the know as you would shed light on what’s really going on up there instead of just showing the sunny side and smiling through the pain while you try to convince the rest of us the little emperor is, in fact, wearing new clothes.

Masskier

All but one of the items quoted above are from sources other than this forum or are from you.

I don't think that Ary was misquoted. My bet is that he screwed up with what he said but that the quote was accurate.

Masskier, are you saying that they are fully staffed and that their webpage is out of date? I know they at least have a trained medic on staff now.

No, I am saying that Ary planned on making snow much earlier this year. Hence they started on 11/14

VTKilarney

That didn't answer my question. Were they fully staffed or not when Ary declared so?

Masskier

"They started making snow on 11/14 which is probably the earliest Burke has ever started. They learned their lesson last year."

Mass Skier if you are as informed as you claim to be you know this is rubbish - lets have some integrity and not try to rewrite history - the year before Q came in 2012 they made snow starting on Nov 8. Burke has opened and made snow early in November numerous times, as I am sure you must be aware they are contractually obligated to make snow on the training hill or they can be fined, in order to do that for late November / early December they have always traditionally started in Mid November. I see you're fully on board with Q's revisionist history...

Soo, Yes lets have some integrity, You said "Burke has opened and made snow early in November numerous times" When ??? I have never known Burke to open in early November.

VTKilarney

Soo, Yes lets have some integrity, You said "Burke has opened and made snow early in November numerous times" When ??? I have never known Burke to open in early November.

Will you either answer my question or just admit that you are refusing to answer it.

burski

You are correct, I doubt they have ever opened in early November, that was a mistake on my part and worded incorrectly, but they definitely have made snow in early November many times - I think a few of us on this site are calling you out on that.

VTKilarney

How refreshing to see somebody show integrity by acknowledging an inaccurate statement.

Masskier

MassSkier-sorry if offended you in some way by mentioning you in the post. my intention was not to hurt anyone’s feelings, but to point out the constant disconnect between what is said and what is reality. and i stand by each of those statements (except the last, i’ve never spoken to ary sr but as he continues to allow his spawn to f-up everything he touches and burn most bridges i take as a soft approval)

the rest though, i stand by–none are rumors.

the ca record thing may have been a misquote or misspeak-i dont know, you don’t know. we weren’t at the interview but what was stated is the record until i see a retraction, so the assumption there is 100% on your part.

by the way, your position that this is the earliest they’ve blown snow ever is just plain wrong. ask anyone who used to work there when it was run by people with experience–i’m sure you see them in town–and they’ll tell you that that is patently wrong. (as they did me when i asked them last week)

glad the chef at Jay is there and you’re enjoying his cooking, but i was talking about the FnB that you were touting and then never mentioned again when asked pointedly. he is not currently employed at burke, correct? if so, you should tell them to update the site and take that job posting down.

which brings me to the “fully staffed” quote.another misquote? doubtful. out and out lie? probable

so if there’s something i’m missing please enlighten me. it would be great if someone as in the know as you would shed light on what’s really going on up there instead of just showing the sunny side and smiling through the pain while you try to convince the rest of us the little emperor is, in fact, wearing new clothes.

Agreed, there is a huge disconnect from what is being discussed in this thread and what is really going on at the mountain. The reason I said there was a misquote or misunderstanding on the snow making quote, is that I spoke to Ary and Jason weeks ago so I knew their snow making plans for the year. And they certainly were not going to wait to 12/22 to start making snow. I think that is kind of obvious.

As far as whether Burke has made snow before 11/14, It's got to be one of the earliest starts, I had asked in an earlier post whether anyone remembered them starting earlier and no one responded. I can only speak as to when BMA took over in 2000 and I became involved and I don't recall Burke making snow earlier.

As far as FnB, Yes, they brought a couple of new chefs over from Jay back in August. And they have made some nice improvements at the Tamarack. Originally one was going to assumed the responsibility of FnB manager for the resort. However it is my understanding that instead he is going to focus on the Tamarack and start the planing for the new restaurant in the Hotel, While they continue to accept applications for FnB.

Fully Staffed, Certainly there has been lots of turnover, no question about that. But most of the key positions that they want filled are spoken for. He can operate with the staff he has now, and he will continue to build his team over the next 2-3 years. It's not like the place is empty or anything like that. Some would have you believe that there is nobody working there. That is the farthest from the truth.

VTKilarney

So if "most" of the key positions were filled, they were not fully staffed. Thank you for confirming that Ary did not truthfully describe the staffing situation at the mountain - unless his business plan was to forego a marketing director, guest services manager, senior IT director, and food and beverage manager - among other positions. But they do have a trained medic!

At least we know that everyone is happy. That accounts for something.

Last edited:

VTKilarney

Ary is going to be furious when he finds out that somebody beat him to the beverage market.

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1416437671.647099.jpg

thetrailboss

Staff member

Burke opened right before Thanksgiving in 1996 or 1997 due to its newly updated snowmaking system. They made snow pretty early that year...I don't know what constitutes "early November", but I did ski the Poma on Thanksgiving weekend if not the one before. Historically they tried to get open the first or second weekend of December back then. They pushed it back a bit with Burke2000 and Ginn/LaBurski.

And as to the claim that the head of F&B has not been fired, unless we are talking about two different people the claim that he is still there is not true. As I mentioned, he found out that he was fired when his job was advertised....in fact it still is: http://skiburke.com/jobs/

Last edited:

VTKilarney

I recall that Masskier has yet to answer another question - whether or not a hotel subcontractor has failed to be paid in a timely manner. What say you, Masskier?

SkiRaceParent

i highly enjoy keeping tabs on this thread, it's entertaining.

Here we are, november 19th and a) the hotel is being built, b) snow is being blown, c) the social media marketing machine is blaring, albeit with some weird messages about Beaverkill, etc. but at least they're communicating with their customers. And not making the massive PR blunders they were about a year ago this time (at least I dont think so, besides some technicalities people point out that I dont think anyone else is keeping tabs on).

And here we are, november 19th, and the message board is madder than ever. Sure, downsizing is painful. From what I heard, with roughly the same amount of skier visits last year, Q I was told (as hairbrainy as they seem) cut ALOT (I know number but won't report) of costs from the operating budget. So, that's a A BIG profit improvement over the year before. So, they perhaps are not filling a bunch of positions. How important are these positions? To me, they are important but there are people who will pop into these positions once the mountain is open. I never looked at a mountain after opening day, even in the best economy, and said, boy they just can't find employees. If that were the case, I'd volunteer to help out, and I'm sure many others would too. After all, we are a community, right? Who knows, maybe Q would 'fire' his volunteers. Is that what people really think?

So, I dont get the deep vitriol, perhaps some feelings have been hurt and the 'way it used to be' is no longer. But I honestly, even with the addition of Q, can't say the mountain is any worse off now than it has been in the last 10 years, and it may be in better shape with the hotel and the other elements of life that are happening at/in and around (Q) Burke. People are so upset, but I'll enjoy the skiing this winter (almost private mid-week -- shhh), and the apres ski at the bear den, and you're welcome to join me. And the year after that, I'll enjoy being in the lobby of the new hotel hanging out, it looks like it will be a great space.

So, I'll get off my soapbox now, but wanted to add those thoughts to the conversation....see you on ~Nov 29 (just a hunch) for opening day.

VTKilarney

And here we are, november 19th, and the message board is madder than ever.
Who is mad? I don't see that much has changed. People are absolutely perplexed by decisions management has made, but don't confuse that with anger.

Sure, downsizing is painful. From what I heard, with roughly the same amount of skier visits last year, Q I was told (as hairbrainy as they seem) cut ALOT (I know number but won't report) of costs from the operating budget. So, that's a A BIG profit improvement over the year before.
They didn't turn a profit last year. Is your point that their primary strategy is to cut costs rather than to increase revenues? That would explain trimming staff I suppose.

So, they perhaps are not filling a bunch of positions.
So they are advertising positions that they don't intend to fill? That's an odd management decision, for sure.

So, I dont get the deep vitriol.
There isn't any. No need for hyperbole.

But I honestly, even with the addition of Q, can't say the mountain is any worse off now than it has been in the last 10 years.
Time will tell.

SkiRaceParent

LOL. That is the 'way it used to be'. I'm sure the hotel will change that.

I'll take the extra ~200 people (of which most prob wont ski much or will down in the lower mountain) in exchange for a mountain operation that will be around in the future.

VTKilarney

Let's get the subcontractors paid and the hotel built before we count guests. Crossing my fingers...

Masskier

i highly enjoy keeping tabs on this thread, it's entertaining.

Here we are, november 19th and a) the hotel is being built, b) snow is being blown, c) the social media marketing machine is blaring, albeit with some weird messages about Beaverkill, etc. but at least they're communicating with their customers. And not making the massive PR blunders they were about a year ago this time (at least I dont think so, besides some technicalities people point out that I dont think anyone else is keeping tabs on).

And here we are, november 19th, and the message board is madder than ever. Sure, downsizing is painful. From what I heard, with roughly the same amount of skier visits last year, Q I was told (as hairbrainy as they seem) cut ALOT (I know number but won't report) of costs from the operating budget. So, that's a A BIG profit improvement over the year before. So, they perhaps are not filling a bunch of positions. How important are these positions? To me, they are important but there are people who will pop into these positions once the mountain is open. I never looked at a mountain after opening day, even in the best economy, and said, boy they just can't find employees. If that were the case, I'd volunteer to help out, and I'm sure many others would too. After all, we are a community, right? Who knows, maybe Q would 'fire' his volunteers. Is that what people really think?

So, I dont get the deep vitriol, perhaps some feelings have been hurt and the 'way it used to be' is no longer. But I honestly, even with the addition of Q, can't say the mountain is any worse off now than it has been in the last 10 years, and it may be in better shape with the hotel and the other elements of life that are happening at/in and around (Q) Burke. People are so upset, but I'll enjoy the skiing this winter (almost private mid-week -- shhh), and the apres ski at the bear den, and you're welcome to join me. And the year after that, I'll enjoy being in the lobby of the new hotel hanging out, it looks like it will be a great space.

So, I'll get off my soapbox now, but wanted to add those thoughts to the conversation....see you on ~Nov 29 (just a hunch) for opening day.

Well said. Things are shaping up to be a great start to an early season. Hopefully mother nature will continue to cooperate.