• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

1-23,1-24 Gore

kingslug

Resort or Ski Area
Gore Mountain
Date
Jan 24, 2021
Snow Conditions
  1. Packed Powder
Gore delivered again..if you can handle the negative temps and wind. We skied the whole place end to end. Found some good stashes here and there. And Rumor opened..That thing is a monster, I don't care what anyone says. I've never seen a manmade run like it. Steep as hell, lots of moguls. It was the highlight of the trip. Add in some real pow skiing North chair area with still good lines the next day. I didn't care about the wind and cold at all. The 3:45 min drive is worth it..throw in a motel for 100.00 and I'm good for a weekend. gore 1.jpggore 2.jpggore 3.jpggore 4.jpggore 5.jpg

mikec142

Couple of questions...first, did you buy a Gore season pass this year? My understanding is it's hard to ski there as a day tripper after Cuomo tightened things up. Second, Rumor doesn't look that enjoyable with all those whales. Did you ski it? If so, how was it?

I bet the Burnt Ridge glades were epic.

JimG.

Staff member
Couple of questions...first, did you buy a Gore season pass this year? My understanding is it's hard to ski there as a day tripper after Cuomo tightened things up. Second, Rumor doesn't look that enjoyable with all those whales. Did you ski it? If so, how was it?

I bet the Burnt Ridge glades were epic.
Rumor was a blast. Whales made it more fun. Snow was chalky and easy to edge. Burnt Ridge glades were closed but poachable.

Not sure what you mean about it being hard to ski there because of Cuomo. There are capacity limits but the place was pretty busy all weekend. I have a season pass but kingslug uses the Frequent Skier Card and seems to get day tickets no problem.

mikec142

Rumor was a blast. Whales made it more fun. Snow was chalky and easy to edge. Burnt Ridge glades were closed but poachable.

Not sure what you mean about it being hard to ski there because of Cuomo. There are capacity limits but the place was pretty busy all weekend. I have a season pass but kingslug uses the Frequent Skier Card and seems to get day tickets no problem.
I feel like I remember a change to make things more restrictive occurred right around Christmas time. Maybe things have changed since then?

SnowRock

Bumping an old thread… never been to Gore and headed for the first time next weekend. Probably getting in Friday and Saturday on the hill and maybe a few laps Sunday… but may need to get on the road early

Any advice on approach to the mountain on a Saturday? I had never really looked at the gore trail map before and it looks fun. Can I assume getting out of the base and into one of the pods will be the move? Any advice? Suggestions for trees assuming they get filled in with this coastal bearing down

ThatGuy

Bumping an old thread… never been to Gore and headed for the first time next weekend. Probably getting in Friday and Saturday on the hill and maybe a few laps Sunday… but may need to get on the road early

Any advice on approach to the mountain on a Saturday? I had never really looked at the gore trail map before and it looks fun. Can I assume getting out of the base and into one of the pods will be the move? Any advice? Suggestions for trees assuming they get filled in with this coastal bearing down
Gore isn’t a mountain I frequent but from my experience you want to get away from the main base and stick with each pod for a while. Long traverses between pods but that helps with crowds and its easy to avoid them. Don’t know if trees will come into play, Gore and NYS in general are pretty conservative with opening trees.

PAabe

Especially with the Gondola at less than half capacity in the event the Burnt Ridge quad is not running (you can pole over there from the base), I would try to get out of the base as fast as possible. They have the saddle lodge, summit lodge, and Burnt Ridge warming hut so really there is no reason to go back to the base if it is crowded there. I like to pocket a sandwich and eat it at the summit lodge because the food at ORDA areas is really expensive even by ski area standards. The different areas can have vastly different snow conditions so check them all out - North side has a greater proportion of natural and often skis really nice. They seem quick to close glades, I mean, if it's a closed glade there is likely a bare spot but if it seems like there is a good amount of snow probably still skiiable with caution. I'm not sure how much they care about skiing clearly closed glades.

The place gets deserted by mid afternoon so that is when I would venture back to the main face and base.

Last edited:

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
They seem quick to close glades, I mean, if it's a closed glade there is likely a bare spot

This is not my experience. You're the second person who mentioned it though, so maybe i'm wrong.

I've definitely seen trees not open because patrol didn't get to it.

If you ski from the main base and you make first chair, you'll probably have to come back to the base at least once.