• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

20 Hidden Ski Resorts

Abominable

I like how top comment on that is:

Mount Cain Alpine Park:

"Pfffft. Hardly a "hidden gem" list if you miss a resort with the best powder on an island in the Pacific Ocean."

Sadly, I googled 'em, and:

We are sorry to say that Mt. Cain is closed until further notice.
We need about 140cm of snow to re-open.

We are in the same boat as ALL the other coastal ski hills. Sorry folks.
If there is any hope of opening, you'll be hearing it on the radio, seeing it on the TV shows.

The date is February 11th, 2015.

VTKilarney

Sundance is hidden?

I think a good addition to the list would be Red Lodge, Montana.

jaytrem

I like how top comment on that is:

Mount Cain Alpine Park:

"Pfffft. Hardly a "hidden gem" list if you miss a resort with the best powder on an island in the Pacific Ocean."

Sadly, I googled 'em, and:

We are sorry to say that Mt. Cain is closed until further notice.
We need about 140cm of snow to re-open.

We are in the same boat as ALL the other coastal ski hills. Sorry folks.
If there is any hope of opening, you'll be hearing it on the radio, seeing it on the TV shows.

The date is February 11th, 2015.

Unfortunately they're correct about everybody being in the same boat. I bet there are a good 40 to 50 areas from AK to CA that are currently closed. Last week I moved much of my Oregon trip to Idaho. We had a great time anyway, but even there a lot of the ski days were in the 50s.

Best hidden gem in my opinion is Discovery MT. So I agree with that one. Some others are way too on the radar. Also, Baldy in BC is an interesting choice, the main chairlift is shut down for the year. It is a fun place though, hopefully fully open again for next season. Pine Creek in WY is another great hidden gem that immediately comes to mind.

Jully

Le Massif is also in the northeast and even more hidden than MRG. Why on earth would Killington be on this list?