• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2012-2013 Season Planning

Paul_M

I want to ski next winter on a regular basis. Buying a season pass will insure that it happens. I have a wife and teen age daughter. My wife and kid typically ski Windham a few days a year and are low intermediate. I have well over 700 days on skis most of it in a 7 year period in ID/OR/CA. We are about 4.5 hours from Killington. I've skied it a couple times, but think I would prefer Jay Peak more from what I've read. It's another hour in the car each way, but lodging seems cheaper and has very dependable conditions. We're hoping to make it to Jay in April to check it out.

What areas should I consider in addition to Killington and Jay? Thanks.

rocojerry

I want to ski next winter on a regular basis. Buying a season pass will insure that it happens. I have a wife and teen age daughter. My wife and kid typically ski Windham a few days a year and are low intermediate. I have well over 700 days on skis most of it in a 7 year period in ID/OR/CA. We are about 4.5 hours from Killington. I've skied it a couple times, but think I would prefer Jay Peak more from what I've read. It's another hour in the car each way, but lodging seems cheaper and has very dependable conditions. We're hoping to make it to Jay in April to check it out.

From first glance, I probably wouldn't consider K or J top choices --

To start -- Where do you live? It sounds like you are looking for a mountain with something for everyone, with good begginner/intermediate advanced?

Paul_M

Westchester County, NY. We have access to VT up I91. My wife and kid can easily ski all the blue trails at K and are ready to transition (w professional help) to better techniques and more difficult terrain.

We liked staying in Rutland, but prefer somewhere we could have a bus option to get to the lift.

bobbutts

If you are ok having a pass 5 hrs away sure, but there's hardly much bus route cheap lodging at Jay.. I'd look more at Mt. Snow or Okemo since they're closer, better for intermediates and have much more lodging choices

Paul_M

Nothing worse that laying out huge chunks of cash for lift tickets. I'd rather pay it all at once, and go every chance we got. I'll check out Snow and Okemo.

Doubt I would stay at someplace "cheap" very often, but cheaper than Killington. I'm guessing Killington has the most expensive near/on mtn lodging?

ScottySkis

Nothing worse that laying out huge chunks of cash for lift tickets. I'd rather pay it all at once, and go every chance we got. I'll check out Snow and Okemo.

Doubt I would stay at someplace "cheap" very often, but cheaper than Killington. I'm guessing Killington has the most expensive near/on mtn lodging?

I think staying on the ski hill is always expensive, but for Mt snow you can get cheap lodging in West Dover, for North Vt you can get cheap lodging in Burlington, just depends on you and your family needs, if you don't mind the drive to N Vt I get season pass at maybe Sugarbush lots of big hill and vertical, and snow and glades less snow then Jay or Stowe, a little less miles and hours on the road.

gmcunni

. I'd look more at Mt. Snow or Okemo since they're closer, better for intermediates and have much more lodging choices

i was thinking the same. i've no experience living near either but when i visit Snow and Okemo i alway see the buses running thru town to the mountain. but YOU might get bored at Okemo based on your 100 days/year you reference out west.

o3jeff

Are you really looking spend money and live in a hotel every weekend? Why not Huntah? Close by, great terrain and you'll probably get a lot more days there.

gmcunni

might also want to look into ski clubs with lodges on or near mountains. I know of a CT club (you don't need to live in CT) with a house "on" sugarbush north. probably within your driving limits and you can have mountain access without a hassle. i'm sure other clubs/mountains have similar setups.

Paul_M

I'm open to all suggestions. Last year I considered renting a house at Windham, but it's too much responsibility and $$$. I've never skied Hunter or Windham, but the wife and kid have skied both.

As far as Windham and Hunter I don't see my kid enjoying it much if she has to get in the car at 6am on Sat/Sun mornings. I like being at the lift as it opens. We're about 2 hours and 15 mins to Hunter.

abc

2:15 to Hunter? So you're either on lower westchester, or on the east side of the county!

If I wanted to ski a lot, I'd rent a small place near Hunter and ski there a lot. It's got a lot of terrain for all abilities. Although crowded, you can ski work around that by taking early lunch and skiing through lunch hour etc.

A pass at Jay or Killington will supplement that. But I somehow doubt it'll work out as the primary moutain. If your wife and kid can't stomach gettting in the car at 6am to ski hunter more than 5 times, I doubt they'll do the 5-6 hr drive to Jay more than 5 times! Killington pass is quite expensive so you'll need to go a lot more than 5 weekends to justify the pass!

deadheadskier

Staff member

Jay is well over an hour further, at least an hour and half from Westchester. Not a great option for low intermediate skiers and though they get a the most natural snow in the East, I wouldn't necessarily say their conditions are more dependable than Killington.

Southern Vermont areas are better than Northern for low intermediate skiers IMO. None have the expert offerings that Killington does though.

steamboat1

I'm convinced. Definitely staying away.

Yeah those other places are much better.

You name it, it's better.

To far away to buy a season pass.

You'll never get your money's worth.

Seriously I live almost 300 miles from the joint.

Like skiing other places & often do.

Wouldn't consider buying a season pass anywhere else.