• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2013-2014 Ski Area Goals...

Riverskier

Along with the bulk of my skiing at Sunday River, and the obligatory few days at Sugarloaf and Mt Abram, I would really like to get back to Saddleback for a day. I know it is a lofty goal!

xwhaler

Along with the bulk of my skiing at Sunday River, and the obligatory few days at Sugarloaf and Mt Abram, I would really like to get back to Saddleback for a day. I know it is a lofty goal!

Saddleback is a lofty goal for most of us south of Maine but if I lived where you did I'd head there for sure!

Smellytele

Ok not many new this year but here goes:

Been tos:
Killington
Sugarbush
Gunstock
Magic
Cannon
Wildcat
Sugarloaf
Saddleback
Pats Peak
Breckenridge
Copper

Maybes:
Bretton Woods
Sunapee
Crotched

New to mes:
A-basin
Wolf Creek
Durango
Taos

Would like get back to but not enough weekend days and have to work sometimes:
Jay
Burke

Next year get back tos:
Stowe
Smuggs

Riverskier

Saddleback is a lofty goal for most of us south of Maine but if I lived where you did I'd head there for sure!

Certainly easily accomplished in theory! It is 2:10 door to door, so not a bad trip. I have a Boyne Silver Pass though, so with that investment already made I relegate myself to blackout days. Then the conditions have to be right to justify the extra $30 and 2 and a half hours in the car over just going to Mt. Abram, which I also love. These factors have prevented me from making the trip the last couple years, but I think this year I just need to make it happen! I was blown away by their glades the last time I was there.

skiNEwhere

Want to be able to ski Silverton this year.

I say it that way because as it stands right now if I went there I would probably slow down the group when they were hiking up. I was at Breck a few weeks ago (11/21) when the Horseshoe bowl was open, but hike-to only. I did make it up there fine but probably had 10-15 people pass me on the way up since I was taking my sweet ass time and stopping as well.

I refuse to go to Silverton if I feel like I'm gonna be "that guy" so when I feel like I can handle hike to terrain at a consistent clip I'll make the 6 hour southwest journey

Euler

Magic for a repeat visit and MRG. Been to both of these places only once and look forward to return visits. Might give Paradise a try at Sugarbush this year...depends on conditions and my attitude while I'm there. I really hope to get out for some bigger journeys on my light backcountry gear. Hoping explore NELSAP area Hogback mountain with this gear and some other small hills in Southern VT. My goals are more about technique, ability, confidence, and fun more than trails or ski areas. I want to keep upping my game in bumps and trees...particularly in powder and steeper terrain.

jack97

I have planning to stay local and hit the usual suspects. However, a couple of places I would like to re visit is MRG and Whaleback. The latter is doable in terms of hours, first time i tried Y.O.O.M was intense.

emmaurice2

I am sticking close to home this season due to family health issues, but it gives me an excuse to cross some local mountains from my "to ski" list.

Powder Ridge, Otis Ridge, Bousquet, Southington

If I can find time I want to hit one or two of these never-been-to mountains: MRG, Smuggs, Burke or Jay.

I would like to get back to Bromley on a sunny day and hit Magic on a good day.

I have freebies for Berkshire East and Sunapee so those are definite revisits.

polski

Website
twitter.com
Magic for a repeat visit and MRG. Been to both of these places only once and look forward to return visits. Might give Paradise a try at Sugarbush this year...depends on conditions and my attitude while I'm there. I really hope to get out for some bigger journeys on my light backcountry gear. Hoping explore NELSAP area Hogback mountain with this gear and some other small hills in Southern VT. My goals are more about technique, ability, confidence, and fun more than trails or ski areas. I want to keep upping my game in bumps and trees...particularly in powder and steeper terrain.

Yeah, are we only talking about operating ski areas? :wink: Gotta love the NELSAs.

Euler's approach is generally mine as well - my goals are at least as much "what" and "how" as "where." Tops on my list are increasing backcountry skills (though there's a big "where" component to this as I explore more places) and improving proficiency in trees and on the tougher on-map trails. I have a midweek pass at MRG and have much to try to accomplish there. Maybe hit Smuggs for the first time. Return visits to Magic and hopefully Saddleback and Sugarloaf.

Much depends on where the snow falls.

Last edited:

DPhelan

MRG, tuckerman's, and 20 runs in 1 night at sundown (made it to 18 twice last year, but got bored and went home)

C-Rex

I really want to get into the back country this year. I'd love to hike and ride the Thunderbolt trail at Mt. Greylock if snowfall permits.

For resorts, I want to get to Magic on a good snow day since everyone says it's great. Same thing with Whiteface. I haven't hit a lot of NH so Cannon, Wildcat, and Tuck's are also places I will put some effort towards. I might try to hit Saddleback on the way to or from my Sugarloaf trip. I've been to Sugarbush, but only once so I want to get back there for a couple days with someone who knows their way around if I can swing it.

Savemeasammy

There is some side country stuff at Smuggs. Huck-it and madmadworld know it. Perhaps they will divulge some of their secrets...!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skiNEwhere

Trying to get better faster in the bumps.

A quick way I test myself is by trying beat the chairlift down on mogul trails, for example, if I am on chair 47 when I unload the lift, I try to get to the bottom before chair 47 goes around the bottom terminal. I can beat fixed grip lifts, high speed lifts are a lot harder though.

MadMadWorld

Yeah, are we only talking about operating ski areas? :wink: Gotta love the NELSAs.

Euler's approach is generally mine as well - my goals are at least as much "what" and "how" as "where." Tops on my list are increasing backcountry skills (though there's a big "where" component to this as I explore more places) and improving proficiency in trees and on the tougher on-map trails. I have a midweek pass at MRG and have much to try to accomplish there. Maybe hit Smuggs for the first time. Return visits to Magic and hopefully Saddleback and Sugarloaf.

Much depends on where the snow falls.

Had a midweek pass at MRG for a few years. The price is ridiculously inexpensive and you have the mtn to yourself.