• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2013 Atlantic Hurricane Season

Hurricane Discussion

For those of you who are as obsessed with the Tropics as I am, this is your place to discuss the storms that will be spinning in the Atlantic this Summer/Fall. I hope you guys have a similar enthusiasm as I do!

While Andrea, Barry and Chantal have been weak and rather uneventful, Tropical Storm Dorian has the Americanwx guys whispering about a possible EAST COAST TRACK in the coming 1-2 weeks.

Dorian's small size and tight structure have made it a canidate for strengthening, and while the Atlantic is rather hostile right now, Dorian should reach a rather favorable spot for development around Sunday-Monday. From there Dorian could intensify into a Hurricane and either make a run at the East Coast, or continue west towards Florida. The GFS has been the most accurate model so far on this system, surprisingly.

What else do you guys know about Dorian? I feel this storm deserves to watched with a wary eye in the coming week.

Last edited:

ScottySkis

To many bad memories of disturbing clean up at my job last year from Sandy so I don't really want to discuss hurricanes.:thumbdown:

well, it looks like Dorian died near the Lesser Antillies. It may try and make a comeback in the Gulf of Mexico, but the eastern threat is gone

4aprice

Warm AMO. Should be action as we enter the heart of the season. Bastardi says we're in the same set up as we were in the 1950's and to look at what happened back then to get an idea of what MIGHT happen over the next several years.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

thetrailboss

Staff member
well, it looks like Dorian died near the Lesser Antillies. It may try and make a comeback in the Gulf of Mexico, but the eastern threat is gone

Thank God! It was going to mess up plans for us this weekend.

And in the Pacific, Flossie is heading towards Hawaii.

Dorian's remnants blew up today with deep convection and a 25% increase in size. Recon investigated but found no low level circulation. That may be changing as banding is becoming more apparent and rotation more pronounced. xDorian looks like a tropical storm again, but the structure isn't all the way there yet. Don't write this one off yet.

Looks like we may have Tropical Storm Dorian back with us by morning. A new LLC is trying to form under the convection
dorian.jpg

Satellite showing banding around center of xDorian

dorian.jpg

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
It's OK trailboss, Dorian missed the "exit" to go up the east coast. Models are tracking it through the keys and into the gulf. You should be fine

It seems like Typhoon Utor is really kicking things up in the pacific right now, hitting the Philippines as a category 4 storm and now taking aim at China as a category 2.
*note* sorry to those who want this thread to be strictly about Atlantic storms

Haha, no need to be sorry, all tropical basins are welcome here. Utor just made landfall near Hong Kong as a Cat2

A new TD is forming in the Caribbean. If it develops it will be named Erin. The GOM has to watch closely

snowmonster

Thanks for the post on Utor, Conrad. It took a direct hit on my homeland but north of the capital, Manila, where I will stay. Lots of damage in the north where some really good surf beaches are located. We get at least 20 typhoons a year. Growing up, you get used to a lot of floods and flying debris.