• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2016-2017 Resort Opening Dates

Jully

Can't say I'm surprised...I'm waiting for similar announcements from other resorts. Hard to tell from Sugarbush's Heaven's Gate camera angle whether they made enough. From the view on the camera I say no, but for all I know there are giant whales just out of view on Downspout that they can push out.

SL had previously anticipated this weekend and has more or less put that notion to bed as well.

benski

Can't say I'm surprised...I'm waiting for similar announcements from other resorts. Hard to tell from Sugarbush's Heaven's Gate camera angle whether they made enough. From the view on the camera I say no, but for all I know there are giant whales just out of view on Downspout that they can push out.

Doubt it. They had several guns going at the base of the lift so I bet its worse just up hill from the lift.

WWF-VT

There's a chance for Plan B - Mt Ellen with Rim Run and Elbow. Run the Summit chair and download on the GMX.....

dlague

Lots of dates getting pushed back in Colorado. Vail, Breck, Eldora all just announced. Keystone was pushed back two weeks but now opening this weekend. Looks like there maybe some pushed back dates for New England too. I talked to some of the Lake Louise Ski Team and they are hurting for snow too and may not pull off the Men's World Cup with out snow soon.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

Jully

Lots of dates getting pushed back in Colorado. Vail, Breck, Eldora all just announced. Keystone was pushed back two weeks but now opening this weekend. Looks like there maybe some pushed back dates for New England too. I talked to some of the Lake Louise Ski Team and they are hurting for snow too and may not pull off the Men's World Cup with out snow soon.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

That'd be really funny if killington was able to host the event but LL couldn't that same weekend. Obviously a downhill is a lot harder to host than GS/SL, but still.

Jully

With so many dates pushed back, I wonder what happens if people bought tickets online for those dates? I think SL had tickets selling online for 11/17 not long ago and I'm sure SR had stuff too. Are they truly non refundable even if the Mountain isn't open? I can't imagine that'd be good for their online ticket sales.

benski

With so many dates pushed back, I wonder what happens if people bought tickets online for those dates? I think SL had tickets selling online for 11/17 not long ago and I'm sure SR had stuff too. Are they truly non refundable even if the Mountain isn't open? I can't imagine that'd be good for their online ticket sales.

I guess one could argue it was a risky bet to buy those tickets in the first place without a refund policy. You can't blame the resort.

chuckstah

Liftopia refunded late season tickets I had to ABasin when they closed early due to lack of snow. No hassle, just a quick email got it done. I'm sure any resort would do the same.

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app

mbedle

What If The Resort Closes On The Day Of My Ticket?
In the case of a resort closure, Liftopia will work directly with the resort to determine an appropriate resolution. Once a resolution is reached, we will contact all affected Liftopia customers via email or phone as soon as possible. We cannot say in advance what the resolution might be, as it depends upon the resort and situation, but please know that we will work on your behalf to secure the best solution we can.

Bostonian

At least the good news is that by monday the overnight temps will be dropping into the 20's, as colder air filters in Sunday evening. Through most of the region, resorts can blow long and hard...

National Weather Service - Portland said:
Upper trough swinging in from the west will push surface lowpressure toward the region Saturday night. New area of low pressure
will redevelop over New England late Saturday night and early
Sunday as upper trough goes negative over the region. Looking for
increasing clouds overnight with rain after midnight.

Low pressure will slow over the region on Sunday as it becomes
trapped under the upper low which will be closing off over the
northeast. Low pressure will slowly drift north Through northern
New England during the day and will continue north into southern
Quebec Sunday night. Occasional showers on Sunday will gradually
go over to snow showers Sunday night as colder air filters in from
the west. Could see some minor accumulations in the mountains. Lows
Sunday night will range through the 30s.

Monday looking cold and blustery as low pressure continues to lift
out to the north. Expect mostly cloudy skies with occasional snow
showers...mainly in the mountains. High temps will range from the
mid 30s north to the mid 40s south.

SIKSKIER

And Wildcat. "Our crew has worked nonstop every chance they've had and it looks like they need just one more cold window on the lower mountain to get trails ready for top-to-bottom skiing and riding".That cold window wont happen till next week.

SIKSKIER

Sugarloaf has also."We still need a solid stretch of snowmaking on most of Tote Road before it's ready to ski, so don't get too excited about an opening day this weekend".

SIKSKIER

And Sunday River."We're keeping our eye on the mercury for the next cold snap, and as soon as it hits we're ready to top off the trails we've been working on and kick off the season".

drjeff

This weekend.... Unless you're open already, not happening. By Turkey Day we'll likely have a bunch of WROD options around the Northeast to ski off that 2nd helping of stuffing ;-)

This being patient stuff for the weather to start doing what it's supposed to stinks! :)

Madroch

Crap- was all set to make the 7.5 round trip to Stowe sat- enjoy lapping the quad on groomers early season to remind legs how to ski... k will be sh$t show sat I am afraid...

Jully

Crap- was all set to make the 7.5 round trip to Stowe sat- enjoy lapping the quad on groomers early season to remind legs how to ski... k will be sh$t show sat I am afraid...

Sunday is likely going to be just as bad too, so no skiing again for me this weekend either unless BW can somehow manage to stay open. There's a good chance I'll have skied in October but not November this year! Probably going to ski the Sunday after Thanksgiving, but that's dependent on me getting home at a reasonable hour on Saturday...

Smellytele

Sunday is likely going to be just as bad too, so no skiing again for me this weekend either unless BW can somehow manage to stay open. There's a good chance I'll have skied in October but not November this year! Probably going to ski the Sunday after Thanksgiving, but that's dependent on me getting home at a reasonable hour on Saturday...

Can't see BW having a chance to open this weekend without any chance to blow since last Saturday. Sunday it was very thin (read dirt and grass) on the bottom pitch