• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2020-21 Sunday River

machski

Work starts tomorrow cutting out sections of pipe on Kansas that they need moved to blast. They are building a work road to help build the new lift and for future access for an eventual restaurant etc. The pipe wil be reinstalled this year as is but next year will see a 20" frost free feed to the top of Jordanin it's place. For this year the existing feed down Quantum will still be used but fed from the booster.

They started today stringing the 20" feed that will be installed up to the booster.
So not likely we see much increase in Oz snowmaking next year with the existing Kansas pipe and feed. Just like Barker, wait another year.....

Newpylong

I don't know. Most of the snowmaking decisions were more about budget than capability this year. Electricity was extremely expensive and all things considered, they had plenty of time to finish getting snowmaking terrain open but chose not to. Furthermore, all of the water going over or above North Peak will be boosted going forward regardless of what feed it uses. So they'll be a leg up as far as efficiently distributing water at higher pressure and volume over there.

I think they are taking a little more measured pace after getting burned biting off more than they could chew last year. If they're going to be finishing MH, possibly adding another two trails, on top of adding the new feed, new booster station, and valve houses, that is already heavily taxing the snowmaking department. That's why they are getting outside help this year. Then you've got the lift going in... that's a lot going on. I know I would be happy if I were a SR regular at what they are doing. Except Barker not getting the new lift that is lol.

parahelia

The bears out there start coming out their dens about now
I've been thinking about that... We still have our bird feeders out at the condo, but it's probably time to bring them in. We learned that the hard way in summer 2020, when I heard some noises at night, looked out the window, and saw a giant negative space with two eyes, feasting on feeder full of sunflower seeds. This was right near Lot 6 and the access road, so not exactly in the woods. Being a city slicker, I didn't realize that bird feeders were a no-no in the summer. The feeder still has the claw marks to show for it...

Speaking of moose, there were also some tracks across the top of Agony on Sunday morning. Animals on the move this time of year...

bigbob

Will the Barker lift replacement be a totally new lift or a refurbished Jordon Quad next construction season?

deadheadskier

Staff member
I still think it's shortsighted to go with a refurbished Jordan on Barker. Kind of a bandaid. Outside of the Chondola, Barker probably runs more hours per year than any lift there. Increased capacity is also needed for that lift.

I would think a new six pack there and saving Jordan refurbished lift for Aurora or Tempest makes better sense. Obviously it would likely cost $6M+ more to do that.

machski

I still think it's shortsighted to go with a refurbished Jordan on Barker. Kind of a bandaid. Outside of the Chondola, Barker probably runs more hours per year than any lift there. Increased capacity is also needed for that lift.

I would think a new six pack there and saving Jordan refurbished lift for Aurora or Tempest makes better sense. Obviously it would likely cost $6M+ more to do that.
They are not doing a Detach on either Tempest or Aurora. Those will be new FGQs with load carpets. Both are too short to add another detach machine and added MX that comes with those to the fleet. Barker is now going to be a new machine, Quad or Six yet to be decided.

Andrew B.

No, it definitely will not be a refurbed Jordan. Latest I have is a Brand New Dopp machine, but whether it is a Detach Quad or Six still undetermined. Jordan is either getting parted out (heard that at Jordan last weekend) or it is going to Shawnee.
I am hearing the same thing but I heard they are deciding between a detach 6 or 8 but your due diligence is better than mine.
Agreed new is the right way to go for Lift 1.

machski

I am hearing the same thing but I heard they are deciding between a detach 6 or 8 but your due diligence is better than mine.
Agreed new is the right way to go for Lift 1.
Absolutely zero need for an 8 at Barker, wind is not the same level of impact as it was at Jordan (and that is the only reason they went 8 IMHO). Jordan at the base anyway has plenty of room for a large storage building for the 8 chairs, Barker not so much. Let's hope they only go 6 there.

Newpylong

They are not doing a Detach on either Tempest or Aurora. Those will be new FGQs with load carpets. Both are too short to add another detach machine and added MX that comes with those to the fleet. Barker is now going to be a new machine, Quad or Six yet to be decided.

At just shy of 4,000 feet Tempest is absolutely long enough to warrant a detach and White Cap is the only base without one. It's foolish to spend more money on another NEW fixed grip for only an extra 50 fpm.

They would be better off installing a carpet on the lift as is and waiting until they're ready to put a detach in. If they want to play in the big league, that is what the install should ultimately be. The maintenance expense is part of playing in it.

Last edited:

sull1102

There is no option other than to go detach for Tempest. I really don't see why they would not move Jordan to Tempest. It wasn't exactly abused over at Jordan with no late/early season or summer ops and plenty of wind holds to keep hours down, Tempest would be a great spot for it to go live out the rest of its life, a pretty mellow liftline and a FG back up with the other little quad next to Grand Summit. I'm imagining it being the first step in revitalizing the White Cap base, maybe a paint job on the lodge(asking for a new modern lodge is too much for $$$ for the impact it will bring), a reno to the Grand Summit(badly needed for years now), and a nice "new to you" detach to get people out of the base would be a total game changer. This would also set them up very well moving forward with their big Western Expansion plans. It's hard to see a world in which they start pushing past Jordan with new terrain, pods, and at the same time patch up the farthest away base from the new toys.

2Planker

No, it definitely will not be a refurbed Jordan. Latest I have is a Brand New Dopp machine, but whether it is a Detach Quad or Six still undetermined. Jordan is either getting parted out (heard that at Jordan last weekend) or it is going to Shawnee.
According to Shawnee, the Jordan was "very recently promised to be coming to Bridgton", and they are just now starting to move ahead w/ the next phase of their upgrades. To be continued.....

sull1102

I wonder if the plan was to move Jordan over until they bought Shawnee and that changed their plans. Their 2030 plan mentioned installing a loading carpet on Tempest short term before replacing it with a new lift altogether in the "medium" term. I wonder if they would put a carpet in there for a year or two and then move that over to Aurora while installing a detach on Tempest.

thebigo

This is interesting but why spruce?

We’ll be putting the new pipe to work right away, feeding water into the new guns that will be installed this summer on Spruce Peak. The guns will be automated, oscillating fan guns, across Risky Business, American Express, and Grand Rapids. The new guns are incredibly powerful – 25 horsepower – and the oscillation allows us to cover more ground more quickly and all on-demand.

Newpylong

Just checked, you are right. New D-Line 6 for Barker and Dopp is doing the design now. Jordan to Shawnee.

thebigo

Have to wonder if the two lift manufacturers are reaching capacity but there has to be some economies of scale with simultaneous detach installs at one property.

That will be six detach installs at boyne's four eastern properties over a three year span, sharp contrast with the four vail NH properties for the Boston North skier.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Have to wonder if the two lift manufacturers are reaching capacity but there has to be some economies of scale with simultaneous detach installs at one property.

That will be six detach installs at boyne's four eastern properties over a three year span, sharp contrast with the four vail NH properties for the Boston North skier.

What are the six?

Loon 8
Jordan 8
Barker 6
Shawnee refurb 4

What am I missing?

Newpylong

This is interesting but why spruce?

Poorly written. They mean North Peak for the new 20" pipe and guns, not Spruce. It's going from the Barker pumphouse to the top of North Peak. 26 auto Super Polecats on Risky from Lazy down
Amex bottom 1/3
Grand Rapids bottom 1/8.

Last edited: