• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2020-21 Sunday River

machski

Uphillers rejoice, the mounatin is now officially open to you at 530am daily!

Uphill Access Policy​

Sunday River allows skinning, snowshoeing, hiking, and other types of uphill travel in winter. For the safety of everyone on the mountain, we ask that anyone participating in these activities adhere to the following guidelines. Failure to adhere to these guidelines jeopardizes uphill access for everyone. All uphill travel is done at each individual's own risk.
Ground Rules
  • A valid season pass or lift ticket is required for all access to the mountain, including uphill travel. Uphill access is included with a valid lift ticket for that day pass, season pass, or Ikon pass. If you do not have a pass or lift ticket, uphill travel tickets are $15 and available at lift ticket windows during normal operating hours.
  • The mountain is open for uphill travel at 5:30AM every day. Uphill travel will be closed to the public at 4PM unless otherwise specified in the mountain and trail report.
  • You may only travel on terrain that is designated as open on the trail report. The trail report can be found online or on the Sunday River App. Pre- and post-season access is not permitted.
  • All uphill travel must take place along the trail edge. Groups traveling uphill should form single file lines, leaving as much trail width as possible available for downhill skiing. Under no circumstances should uphill groups be more than two skiers wide.
  • Uphill travel is not allowed on Ecstasy, Grand Rapids, and Kansas during operating hours, however, Kansas is allowed when lifts 14 (Jordan 8) and 15 (Oz Quad) are closed due to wind.
  • Sledding is not permitted on any part of the mountain at any time.
  • Terrain parks are closed during non-operational hours.
  • No dogs are allowed on the mountain during operating hours (M-F 9:00AM-4:30PM; Sat/Sun 8:00AM-4:30PM unless otherwise posted in the Mountain Report), except service dogs, which must be on a leash. For your dog’s safety, they must be leashed or have reliable recall under voice command.
  • No camping is allowed on the mountain at any time.
  • Never load a lift outside of normal operating hours, unattended lifts, or lifts with posted “closed” signs.
  • Ski Patrol reserves the right to close the mountain to uphill travel at any time due to weather, snow conditions, or other factors that may affect skier safety.
  • Failure to abide by these rules may result in loss of uphill travel privileges.
Safety around Grooming Operations
  • Uphill skiers should wear bright clothing with reflectors and a headlamp when traveling uphill outside of normal operating times. This will increase your visibility on the slopes to equipment operators and Mountain Operations personnel. Avoid using earbuds so you can hear approaching machinery.
  • Winch cat operation happens daily and poses the threat of serious injury or death to persons who come into contact with the cable. The cable may be hard to detect as it can oscillate between being buried in the snow and being visible as load is applied to it by the groomer which can be up to 3000 feet away. Winch cat operators will use flashing lights at the top and bottom of slopes with active winch cat operations in progress. Please do not travel up or down trails marked by flashing lights.
  • If you encounter a grooming machine on the slopes, yield and keep your distance. If you are wearing a headlamp, shine it toward the operator to make your presence known. Grooming machines have significant blind spots and may not see you. If you are attempting to pass a grooming machine while skiing down, give the grooming machine a wide berth, make eye contact with the operator, and ski on the opposite side of the trail whenever possible.
Safety around Snowmaking Operations and Snowmobiles
  • Snowmaking operations may be present at any time on any trail. For your safety, skiing around active snowmaking operations outside of normal operating hours is prohibited and may result in the loss of uphill privileges.
  • Skis and snowboards have sharp edges that are capable of cutting high-pressure hoses. For your safety, do not ski close to or over snowmaking hoses. Hoses may be buried below the surface of fresh snow.
  • During operating hours, avoid uphill travel in Snowmobile lanes which are marked with orange sticks of bamboo and rope on the sides of the following trails: Lower Downdraft/Lights Out, Escapade, and Roadrunner.
  • Snowmobiles may be present on the mountain at any time. When traveling uphill, yield to uphill snowmobile traffic. Keep an ear out, pull over to the side of the trail, and make eye contact with the operator. Give snowmobiles a wide berth when traveling downhill.
Uphill Routes
Sunday River does not confine uphill travel to specified routes, however we do strongly recommend the following routes for your safety. Other routes may have hazardous operations, blind spots to downhill traffic, or terrain that make them unsuitable for uphill travel.
From White Cap Basin
  • To White Cap Top – Starlight, Heats On, Jibe, Heats Off, Salvation
  • To Little White Cap Top - Starlight
From Barker Basin
  • To Barker Top - Lower Lazy River, Lazy River
  • To Locke Top – Lower Lazy River, Lazy River, down Jungle Road, up Goat Path
From South Ridge Basin
  • To South Ridge Top – Lower Lazy River or Ridge Run
  • To North Peak Top – Ridge run, Dream Maker, Second Mile
  • To Spruce Top – Ridge Run, Dream Maker, Second Mile, Lights Out, Aludra, Sirius
  • To Aurora Top – Ridge Run, Dream Maker, Second Mile, Lights Out, Aludra, Borealis
From Jordan Basin
  • Lollapalooza
  • Note: Uphill travel on Kansas in prohibited during operating hours unless lifts 14 and 15 are closed. Skiers must still obey all posted signs and warnings.
To contact ski patrol to report an injury or request assistance during resort operating hours call 207-824-5350. Ski patrol is not available during non-operating hours. Be aware that on-mountain cell phone service is limited in certain areas

thebigo

all good news - download shouldnt be that bad on a thursday. got the bosses permission for the nine year to play hookie, doubt she will be able to sleep tonight.

Hoping loon gets open Friday, not sure I have three straight days of 4.5 hour roundtrip drives in me. Bronze sounded like a good idea in the spring, wishing I had gone silver now.

Vortex

I went and walked around Baker and Locke base a bit ago. 31F and mixed precipitation. Guns looked off, very humid, but raw. Snow is all the way to Barker lift, but real thin down low. If people ski top to bottom, even though not saying it will be open, Punch will be the way. Cacases in not close to being ready. Word, I got was wet and heavy but well covered mid station and above. I only spoke to one person who hiked to make turns. Sounds like getting it plowed out would help. Let's see if temps drop enough tonight.

machski

If Vortex's report tells me anything on Loon, its that they aren't close to an opening. The only cam they have at seven bros shows less snow on the ground than the base cam at Whte Cap and they got into the mid 30's today at Loon. Maybe Saturday for them, I would think Friday would be a longshot unless thehumidity and temp both dive tonight. Hard to say though as they are not going on seven bros early this year due mostly to the chair install still ongoing there. So no cam to take a peak with.

thebigo

Loon was selling tickets for thursday as of about an hour ago. Now showing tickets for saturday.

thebigo

That looks solid bigo!! How is Upper Punch?
Didnt make it to punch this morning. Daughters new race boots had her in tears. Fortunately her fitter was at thoma, he ground them on the spot and we are headed back out. That is why you use a reputable local shop.

Will post some more pictures this afternoon.

Vortex

Funny, most I heard did not like Punch as much either. I liked it better than T2.

You could take lower punch to the bottom, but it was early season wild. What you Rember from years past, is what you got once you hit the water bars, better than downloading, but Rock skis needed. Tonight, will be cold enough to really help that out with snowmaking.

thebigo

Good afternoon after we got the boots ground. Massive amount of guns running: T2, jungle road, lower punch, right stuff plus fans on spruce and the fan at the bottom of locke. T2 started to form massive irregular bumps in the afternoon, good time to get the knees working - found it much better than punch.20221117_133841.jpg20221117_133627.jpg

thebigo

T2 got turned on overnight, skiing good this morning, better than upper punch. Lower punch filling in, hit some rocks, only the water bar under barker is open. I don't know capacities but feels like they are running far more simultaneous guns than last year.20221118_102348.jpg20221118_102344.jpg20221118_095454.jpg20221118_094224.jpg

Vortex

Snow making improvements do appear to be making a difference. T2 was much better than punch. The guns on Punch were wet. lower Punch was completely different than yesterday. 100% better. Talking to few last night, sounds like getting South Ridge open on Wednesday is the goal. Goggle and full South ridge operations for next Friday. That is kind of the Normal plan, but they are a few weeks behind.

Newpylong

No snowmaking changes to speak of on anything east or west of Spruce this year, but they can run a ton on Barker, Locke and WC from the past few year's work regardless. Aurora, Oz and Jordan will follow suit and be night and day next year.

One after cooler was repaired which will bring air temps down a touch but not something really noticeable by the end user.