• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2020-21 Sunday River

Smellytele

I skipped opening day due to rain, but made it for 2nd day. The River has some terrain open, enough that you can realistically spread out. From the Barker lift, you can ski Jungle road to Punch or T-2 which brings you back to Punch. Ecstasy is open as is Right Stuff. All these trails were in pretty decent shape, given all the rain and cold temps from last night. They softened up as the day wore on, with the occasional ice patch here and there getting scraped off. You can also take Lazy River, which is in similar shape, as is Tourist Trap. But, on Risky Business, between these trails, they are blowing snow, which made for some fun times over the whales and minor bumps starting to form. Off the Locke Triple, you can access the top of T-2 and Punch, which has a few rails set up.

What you may need to know is some of the new stuff going on with the RFID as well as COVID protocols. If you have picked up your pass since this past weekend, it is very likely activated. If it was mailed to you earlier in the year, you will likely need to get it activated at South Ridge or in the upstairs Barker Bar. They have a computer set up there. For restrooms, you need to access them from the downstairs entrance, and exit there as well. The single bathroom on the main level is employees only. It seems they are serving food, but the counters with condiments and napkins have been removed and there is no inside sitting. You enter the first door on the concrete patio, and exit the second door. My guess is that they are trying to establish and maintain a flow of traffic thru the building. To access the Barker Bar, where you can get your pass activated or re-activated, you need to go up the outside stairs to the Barker bar, there is a sign leading you there. Once activated, you go down the inside stairs and exit the second door.

RFID Pass. I put my pass in my jacket pocket, high on the left side of my chest, nothing else in the pocket. Phone was in a pocket low on my right side. 10 trips thru the RFID readers, it failed twice. The liftie with a tablet let me thru and directed me to the Barker bar when I got back down. He acknowledged some teething issues. I tried same gate, different gate, no rhyme or reason. At the end of the day, I realized, inside my jacket pocket, I had a couple Halloween sized Three Musketeers bars, which have a silvery foil like wrapper..... Yeah, I'm moving them away from the pass. I did notice the lifties pointing to some orange colored pads on the side of the RFID gates, signaling to get the pass close to those. If you have an arm sleeve pocket, that will work well for you. I'll have to chest bump it, I guess, if there is an issue. When it works, you literally ski right thru.

My intention was to do 4 runs, maybe 6, get my legs under me. My first run, I am wondering, did I completely forget how to ski over the Summer??? I skied everything open, getting better with each run, saving the Lazy river run for my 6th and last run, so what of the snow guns soak me, I'll be going home. I liked the run so much I did it again, and ran into Dan. So of course, we did a couple more runs down Lazy River. I managed 10 runs and my legs were feeling it, so I called it a day, happy and smiling!
Did you ride the lift with Dan?

machski

I skipped opening day due to rain, but made it for 2nd day. The River has some terrain open, enough that you can realistically spread out. From the Barker lift, you can ski Jungle road to Punch or T-2 which brings you back to Punch. Ecstasy is open as is Right Stuff. All these trails were in pretty decent shape, given all the rain and cold temps from last night. They softened up as the day wore on, with the occasional ice patch here and there getting scraped off. You can also take Lazy River, which is in similar shape, as is Tourist Trap. But, on Risky Business, between these trails, they are blowing snow, which made for some fun times over the whales and minor bumps starting to form. Off the Locke Triple, you can access the top of T-2 and Punch, which has a few rails set up.

What you may need to know is some of the new stuff going on with the RFID as well as COVID protocols. If you have picked up your pass since this past weekend, it is very likely activated. If it was mailed to you earlier in the year, you will likely need to get it activated at South Ridge or in the upstairs Barker Bar. They have a computer set up there. For restrooms, you need to access them from the downstairs entrance, and exit there as well. The single bathroom on the main level is employees only. It seems they are serving food, but the counters with condiments and napkins have been removed and there is no inside sitting. You enter the first door on the concrete patio, and exit the second door. My guess is that they are trying to establish and maintain a flow of traffic thru the building. To access the Barker Bar, where you can get your pass activated or re-activated, you need to go up the outside stairs to the Barker bar, there is a sign leading you there. Once activated, you go down the inside stairs and exit the second door.

RFID Pass. I put my pass in my jacket pocket, high on the left side of my chest, nothing else in the pocket. Phone was in a pocket low on my right side. 10 trips thru the RFID readers, it failed twice. The liftie with a tablet let me thru and directed me to the Barker bar when I got back down. He acknowledged some teething issues. I tried same gate, different gate, no rhyme or reason. At the end of the day, I realized, inside my jacket pocket, I had a couple Halloween sized Three Musketeers bars, which have a silvery foil like wrapper..... Yeah, I'm moving them away from the pass. I did notice the lifties pointing to some orange colored pads on the side of the RFID gates, signaling to get the pass close to those. If you have an arm sleeve pocket, that will work well for you. I'll have to chest bump it, I guess, if there is an issue. When it works, you literally ski right thru.

My intention was to do 4 runs, maybe 6, get my legs under me. My first run, I am wondering, did I completely forget how to ski over the Summer??? I skied everything open, getting better with each run, saving the Lazy river run for my 6th and last run, so what if the snow guns soak me, I'll be going home. I liked the run so much I did it again, and ran into Dan. So of course, we did a couple more runs down Lazy River. I managed 10 runs and my legs were feeling it, so I called it a day, happy and smiling!
Welcome back! I got opening day as it was my last day off work in the month. Been a while since I skied in the rain but it was definitely fun! I used these gates at Loon last season and learned there that plastic orange piece is the sweet spot on these gates. While it should pickup anywhere in the target zone, the closer to the orange patch, the better. I have found the Boyne gates are more sensitive to the sweet spot than others I have used. Have only tried with Boyne issued cards, anyone skiing with an Ikon pass post how it works for you. The Boyne cards and Ikon are on different radio frequencies so it could differ. My GorTex shell doesn't have an arm pocket for the pass, so I had mine in an arm band under my jacket and it worked great every one of the 15 passes at both lifts. Locke will be interesting to see how they work that once we have terrain feeding in from both sides.

Jully

Arrived just an hour or so before you left at 9:30 and crowds were there until 12ish and then everyone left. At their worst, Barker had a 7ish minute wait (maybe 10 groups in front of you in the corral). Lifts were ski on after 2.

Trails were soft and soaked, skied like May IMO. Had a great time. Some half decent bump lines formed on upper risky. Really impressed the River got this much open with pretty short snowmaking windows over the last week. Looking forward to continued improvements in their system.

downdraft

I was out there Fri., Sat., and today. They have ski patrol and lifts attendants walking up and down the "ghost" lanes reminding skiers to make sure their masks are up and over their nose. From what I've heard, senior management is acutely aware of the consequences of lax compliance or worse. From what I observed, skiers in the lines were masked properly. The lines do bunch up a bit, but the ski lengths help maintain spacing. The only lodge I went into was Barker. Signage could be better, but the overall set up seemed well thought out. The one thing I saw that did concern me was the number of people on the Barker deck when I left at 1 today. Let's see what happens when they start selling day tickets.

mbedle

Folks, just so you are aware of what the River is doing with the ski reports, here is a look at their map right now:
View attachment 42670

The entire time I was there today, Cascades was closed. Who knows, maybe they finished the air pipe repair, but if that is the case, why is Monday Morning not also opened. I know, claim as many trails as you can for the deceptive, I mean, best looking trail report. I also am wondering how they got snow blown on Ski Back, on the right side of the picture. Makes it look like more is open than there really is for someone considering if the drive is worth it today. Seems that trail was open most of last year as well. And there is no official way to get to that trail, that's a work road it connects with, not a trail, and some of it is flat or uphill.
Ski Back is not listed as one of their trails. It's also not highlighted to indicate that it is open.

downdraft

Maybe it is a technical glitch with the site/map that leaves the single green line there. Lol, Boyne is good with bad tech. I want my Boyne rewards points back.

Vortex

My intention was to do 4 runs, maybe 6, get my legs under me. My first run, I am wondering, did I completely forget how to ski over the Summer??? I skied everything open, getting better with each run, saving the Lazy river run for my 6th and last run, so what if the snow guns soak me, I'll be going home. I liked the run so much I did it again, and ran into Dan. So of course, we did a couple more runs down Lazy River. I managed 10 runs and my legs were feeling it, so I called it a day, happy and smiling!
I will be up there full time this Winter. Hope we can grab a run or Two. I am going to an arm band for the pass. My pass worked about 70% of the time. Been a rough start but SR has done well IMO. Lines look longer than they appear due to Spreading out. Patrol was making sure you had a facemask on. it is what it is, and we need to comply or no lift service e. The River did a nice job and I give them props.

2Planker

Barker had a lil water issue last night.....

Just what they needed now....
2020 will never end
1606840687466.png

drjeff

Barker had a lil water issue last night.....

Just what they needed now....
2020 will never end
View attachment 42682
Their snowmaking director posted in a couple of FB groups that a culvert not too far uphill from the Barker base blocked up late yesterday in all the rain and caused it to overflow and rush towards the pump house. Apparently, even though it looks ominous, that a couple of trucks of fill and 36-48 hour of snowmaking in the area and "you'll never know anything happened"

So apparently there wasn't any damage to the pump house or the pipes in the washout area, which is good news for sure

Newpylong

While skiing yesterday, we took opportunity to ski what is commonly called backside of Barker (It's actually Lower Lazy River coming from South Ridge area). We wanted a good look at the stream that got blocked up and caused the huge gully to be eroded out just behind the base of Barker lift. It's a small stream, just about anyone could jump across it. But it is in a pretty good gully, and if there is a huge rainstorm, that gully could fill up, and if the culvert is blocked, You can see how easily it would blow thru. They have it rebuilt now, and placed 4 large boulders over the top of the culvert opening, dressed up pretty good now. I might be wrong about this, but I think the culvert exits to the South Ridge side of the pump house. From the parking lot, it appears, IIRC to be about a 5' culvert. I saw the excavator working on that end of it as I was leaving yesterday.

Anyways, they have it all fixed up now, Back to skiing, which should get markedly better with this weekend's wet heavy snow, just what we need for base material on so many trails yet to be covered!!!
Yes that is where it exits. They've been using a ton of air making not much snow on Kansas in terrible wet bulbs only because it's up higher.

They're going to try to get the Chondola next and Roadrunner down to White Cap (for hotel access) and Obsession.

Attachments

• IMG_20201205_094927.jpg
    IMG_20201205_094927.jpg
    647.7 KB · Views: 39

Newpylong

I wasn't there that's from one of my contacts at the River. I laughed when I read the Snowmaking Manager said a "few loads of fill" lol. Slight understatement.

Newpylong

Big blowout on the Roadrunner line (buried) last night, this one feeds all of White Cap. Trying to fix today. Cascade had a blow out a couple days ago as well.

Newpylong

Gigantic amount of deferred maintenace on that snowmaking system to get ahead of. Let's hope they're some bennies to get it done, the right team is in place now to see it through.