• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2020-21 Sunday River

machski

Big blowout on the Roadrunner line (buried) last night, this one feeds all of White Cap. Trying to fix today. Cascade had a blow out a couple days ago as well.
Roadrunner seems to blowout about every other year or so. As to Tempest, only Upper Tempest was running and I believe that line splits off/feed by Cascade.

machski

Windholds reappeared today really testing the "your car is your baselodge" thinking this year. Place was packed for just 4 scheduled lifts (not shocked with first real snowstorm). Skiing was nice, skinned Barker and Locke before those lifts started loading. Actual open trails were nice, dropping some of the closed lower angled stuff off Locke was sublime.

Newpylong

Yes, Tempest is fed off the Locke feed (specifically Cascade) as Roadrunner will not be fixed until tomorrow.

Roadrunner is a 12" buried, very thin walled (original LBO) pipe that direly needs to be replaced.

They're currently running 6400 GPM so they're pumping it out.

Hawk

Yeah, that's our good old aging infrastructure just saying hello again.:(
The issue at Sunday River is the same issue that Sugarbush is having. Les Otten purchased bulk piping for several resorts from China. It was made of very cheap carbon steel that's life span is well over. The blowouts will become more frequent as time goes on and will travel across the mountain and be more frequent in areas like Arora and Jordan.

Newpylong

Those are going to be the last areas to have issues. The pipes are not as old, have less operating hours, aren't buried, and far less pressure.

Yes, in the race to expand they did put in a lot of bad pipe all over in the early to mid 90s, and poorly designed valve stations that most ex-ASC areas are paying for.

Hawk

At sugarbush, they replaced the big main from the mad river up to the resort. The whole thing was buried. One of the workers told me the pipe just crumbled when they pulled it out of the hole. They estimated that they were loosing something like 10% of their flow from small leaks and major blow outs were occurring yearly at the end.

Newpylong

Yep, just like SR's River feed before they replaced it.

I lived in Waitsfield in the mid-90s when they put that pond in, the feed line, etc. Quite the project, especially with all of the lifts, etc.

Bumpsis

Some nice skiing today and it seems it is only going to get better. They opened up Mixing Bowl today, it was fun skiing over the whales. They are blowing snow all over the place, apparently looking to have a big opening of new trails for the weekend. Monday, everyone is eligible to ski, not just pass holders. We are getting some good warm ski weather. Come get some!!!
"Come and get some!!" Easy for you to say. I'd love to if the state of Maine would let me. Those pesky COVID travel restrictions will keep the crowds down. If you lucky to live in ME or NH you'll be getting plenty of wide open slopes at SR probably through February. I'm guessing or more like hoping that the infection rates/death rates will be abating by March, so travel restrictions will no longer be an issue.

Smellytele

"Come and get some!!" Easy for you to say. I'd love to if the state of Maine would let me. Those pesky COVID travel restrictions will keep the crowds down. If you lucky to live in ME or NH you'll be getting plenty of wide open slopes at SR probably through February. I'm guessing or more like hoping that the infection rates/death rates will be abating by March, so travel restrictions will no longer be an issue.
Same restrictions in VT and that isn’t stopping too many.

machski

Same restrictions in VT and that isn’t stopping too many.
Actually, worse restrictions in Vermont as you don't have an option to test in lieu of Quarantine like Maine allows. Though I have heard of Maine State Troopers ticketing folks required to Quarantine or test if they are asked and admit to not. Have not heard that of Vermont.

cdskier

Actually, worse restrictions in Vermont as you don't have an option to test in lieu of Quarantine like Maine allows. Though I have heard of Maine State Troopers ticketing folks required to Quarantine or test if they are asked and admit to not. Have not heard that of Vermont.

On the flip-side though, VT allows the quarantine to be done in your home state...Maine requires it be done IN Maine. So to me that makes Vermont's rules easier than Maine's for some people.

skiur

Wow!!!Actually ticketing now. I thought it HAD been on the honor system.

There have been people who have said there friends cousins ex wife got ticketed, but I have seen no proof of it actually happening.

jimmywilson69

On the flip-side though, VT allows the quarantine to be done in your home state...Maine requires it be done IN Maine. So to me that makes Vermont's rules easier than Maine's for some people.
VT allows a 7 day quarantine and a negative test. this doesn't really help day trippers but if you wanted to take a week up there you could...

skiur

VT allows a 7 day quarantine and a negative test. this doesn't really help day trippers but if you wanted to take a week up there you could...

Vermont also allows you to quarantine at home. So you can stay home for 2 weeks than daytrip without breaking any rules.

bigbob

I just tried Sunday River's, Loon's, and Sugarloaf's websites and was not allowed to continue. Have they been hacked again??

cdskier

I just tried Sunday River's, Loon's, and Sugarloaf's websites and was not allowed to continue. Have they been hacked again??
Looks like someone in their IT dept forgot to renew their SSL certs...they expired today at 7PM.

1607992665433.png

cdskier

CDSkier, can you give us a primer on how you found this and what it all means?

Your browser or anti-virus software may vary a bit...but for me when I try to go to their site I get a warning in my browser (actually from my AV software) that the connection isn't secure. If I click "View certificate" in this screenshot, that's where I can see the details on the certificate:
1607992898676.png

Certificates are what generate the encryption keys needed to access a "secure" or "https" website (years ago most sites were http and only redirected to https when you needed to do something like enter CC info, now most are https by default and the un-encrypted http versions are being phased out). Encrypted sites in theory prevent someone from intercepting the data traveling between your computer and the server since only the 2 end points have the keys to "unlock" the data.

Your browser or AV software warning you that the site isn't protected is because it checks the certs for any sites you try to access. It checks for a bunch of things including the dates it is valid from/to as well as whether it is "signed" by someone "trusted". I could get much more technical, but in a nutshell each cert is only valid for a certain length of time and then needs to be renewed.

downdraft

Site seems to be fixed now.
Skiing at Sunday River was great yesterday. Fog drove people away and snow was soft and forgiving.

downdraft

Skied from 1:00 to 3:45. As you said, crowded when I got out there, but it cleared out fast as the temp. dropped and sun set. Tomorrow, especially am, could be crowded.

Newpylong

Tonight the River is making snow on Sensation, cyclone, state fair, lolla, obsession, heats off, top 1/3 of northern lights. They'll move to rogue angel qnd borialis tomorrow.