• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

23" and first tracks on Big Jay

gereddunne

Don't get me wrong. Skied some of the greatest powder of my life last thursday at Jay Peak. Just got a little tired of playing donkey kong with all the spring breakers in the woods...

Can you believe, at high noon, no one had bothered to push on over to Big Jay?

You bet I did.

Full TR:
http://nebackcountry.blogspot.com/2013/02/big-jay-powder-day.html

Love to know if anyone has good route off the saddle trail to the right. One with both ridiculous pow AND a decent out-route.

skiking4

Smile!

(edit: This was a reply to a previous comment that was filled with curses towards the OP, for whatever reason)

Yeah.... awesome TR!! I wish I was up there so bad.

Last edited:

gereddunne

sorry streetskier. hard to take a good action shot skiing solo. but I've heard talk of posting game cameras throughout the big jay forest. never miss a moment. i joke... but that would kind of be amazing.

gereddunne

Actually, I think it got hit up pretty hard on Thursday after I went in. Later in the afternoon. I could hear whoops up high in the woods and then ran across the group last night on TGR. They had a dispute about my claim to first tracks. I had some issues with their manners. We worked it all out in the end.

soulseller

So this is all available (at a lower altitude) from Timbuktu correct? I mistakenly went to far and ended up on 242 this past Saturday.

soulseller

From picture 8, it appears Timbuktu is the trail in the bottom left hand corner, correct? I understand I did not go as far as the routes you have marked but it is the same general area, no?

soulseller

So that is an 8k' run from Tram to parking spot on 242, then a 2.5 mile walk if my Google maps stills are correct. I did the walk in roughly 20 minutes or so.

TGR peeps would be going on off on you for posting this stuff but i'm sure you know that already. In reality all you gotta do is strike up a friendly conversation on the lift with someone to find the goods, that is how i found the pump house.

snowmonster

I find it funny how people can get bent out of shape about keeping access to Big Jay a big secret. Look, if you can go to a bookstore and buy a book that gives you turn by turn instructions on how to get there, then it's not that much of a secret.

Having said that, anybody up for a Big Jay excursion this weekend?