• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

3/12 Jinx Thread

cdskier

Yes. At least it was a few runs ago. Haven't looked today but they had the Weather Channel on at Jay and they were showing northern VT mountains all in the 6"+ zone on the Euro.
The 12Z Euro run actually shows the most snow in Central VT now. But there's a HUGE spread of possibilities between what the different models are showing. GFS shows the track going through Ottawa leaving us with mostly immature snow in VT. Meanwhile the Euro shows the storm tracking through southern New England bringing more real snow...

jimk

Saddleback was 🔥 today. They got 11” over the weekend and a refresher overnight. I am completely wrecked from doing that trek to the Casablanca chutes and Muleskinner over and over. Worth it, though - untracked lines available all day. I think I’ll try for Jay later in the week based on the pix in the thread…
Nice, that upper ridgeline at Saddleback really catches the snow! Look at that tree well on the right. Your picture:
FA7A14BB-3C49-4402-9EC0-85833D7BFD63 (2).jpeg

parahelia

Unfortunately a lot of times it catches the snow blown off the trails you pass heading over to Casablanca
No kidding. The open trails were completely barren along the way (though the woods were fantastic). I couldn't believe how deep the snow was along the traverse; I could see thigh-deep holes where snowboarders must have stepped off the narrow packed track while skating. Weird thing was, Muleskinner held onto its snow very well, with huge drifts. Its narrowness must really help (though I never did make it all the way to the trail's bottom with untracked lines in chute 4 beckoning on the left).

BenedictGomez

Jay Peak was pretty great on Sunday other than the wind shutting the Tram/Flyer. I didnt even bother with the Bonaventure lines, I just lapped the metro and got in a bunch of lower mountain tree skiing runs. Odd thing about it though is I've been to Jay Peak 101 days with more wind & nothing closed down, so that seemed odd. They claimed 18" to 22", the lower-end was probably somewhat accurate for down low.

KustyTheKlown

glad you had fun but that is truly odd to stick to the metro if bonnie and/or jet are open. thats like 400 vertical feet of no angle skiing. over and over and over again. in snow too deep to move. weird decision after trekking to jay on a powder day.

ThatGuy

Was hitting the Bonnie the whole time the Flyer was down and the wait wasn’t too bad (but I was also in the singles line). Either way Metro is too low angle to lap on a pow day for me.

BenedictGomez

glad you had fun but that is truly odd to stick to the metro if bonnie and/or jet are open. thats like 400 vertical feet of no angle skiing. over and over and over again. in snow too deep to move. weird decision after trekking to jay on a powder day.
Jet was closed. Only Bonaventure was open to get up (somewhat) high, everything else was closed & I'd rather ski than wait in 35 minute lines until 3pm (longer when we arrived). Lookers left lower glades at Jay are a ton of fun, not sure what you mean about too deep to move. I can lap them for hours & have fun. Obviously not my first choice, but I'm not gonna' grouse about it other than being perplexed why the Flyer & Jet were closed to begin with.

KustyTheKlown

Jet was closed. Only Bonaventure was open to get up (somewhat) high, everything else was closed & I'd rather ski than wait in 35 minute lines until 3pm (longer when we arrived). Lookers left lower glades at Jay are a ton of fun, not sure what you mean about too deep to move. I can lap them for hours & have fun. Obviously not my first choice, but I'm not gonna' grouse about it other than being perplexed why the Flyer & Jet were closed to begin with.

bonnie accesses everything flyer does, you just need to do an under 5 minute hike that gains like 30 feet. you can even make it like a 3 foot hike with a 5 foot uphill if you just pop onto wedelmester, which gets you right to the top of beaver pond. i stand by it, totally bizarre decision, and i'd ridicule any of my friends for making it.