• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

A beer or drink at Lunch, a warming shot on the Lift, a sip in the Woods. Do you?? Don't you?? How far have you seen a person drink and Ski or ride??

jimmywilson69

I'll have some beers at lunch but not every day. On nice winter days when the tailgating is in prime form I'll sometimes go out and take a few runs after a few cold ones. I never got the beer on every lift ride crowd...

snoseek

If I have a drink or two its late morning at the car as I want to be sober when I leave the hill. Sometimes it gets me in the slot and sometimes it makes me ski lazy. I've skied hammered a few times and its fucking terrible lol never again

KustyTheKlown

if with friends, beers on the lifts, will consume 3 maybe 4 over a day. not 'drunk'

if alone, sometimes a flask and a nip of whiskey here and there

cannabis always in all scenarios

Granite1

if with friends, beers on the lifts, will consume 3 maybe 4 over a day. not 'drunk'

if alone, sometimes a flask and a nip of whiskey here and there

cannabis always in all scenarios
I would say having four beers on the lifts during a ski day and using cannabis too, that you are impaired and dangerous to other skiers and yourself.
Especially if you are smoking the very potent cannabis available today. How do you know that you're not legally drunk after four beers, if you are driving?

MidnightJester

4 beers equals drunk only if he funneled them lol.

You remove from the body and lose approximately 1 drink a hour to liver and body function. He would be lucky to be at even a .03 to .04 (2 drinks in the blood stream) most of the day if they are spaced out.

1 drink = 1 beer 12oz(5%), 1 shot 1.5oz(40%/80proof), 1 wine 5oz(12%) all are approximately for a 180lb person. Male or female and more muscle mass helps to lower numbers slightly. Apparently Fat doesn't help much lol. thanks Edd :) edit

Last edited:

Edd

Not to mention, what kind of beers are we talking about, for ABV? Also, 12 or 16 oz? Not a debate worth getting into.

Granite1

4 beers consumed gradually from 8 am to 3 pm doesn’t equal “drunk”
So you're stoned and drinking beer at 8 am? Is there a therapist in the substance/alcohol abuse profession that would say you don's have a problem?

skiur

So you're stoned and drinking beer at 8 am? Is there a therapist in the substance/alcohol abuse profession that would say you don's have a problem?
Of course they would say that, that's how they make money! And if you are doing that every day I would agree with them. Doing it on a random Saturday? Not that big of a deal.

Hawk

I was wondering if this woud go off the rails. Not yet.
In my younger days at Sunday River, the culture was definately drink all day. Most of the people I skied with drank a lot. One in the barker parking lot booting up, a couple for the lift(mostly split between friends), One or two at lunch, maybe one after, definately apres. Glad those days are over. I could not keep up now. LOL

I have a beer with luch sometimes. Occasionally I will have one on the hill if someone is offering. I do not carry them anymore. Used to. Maybe a smokey treat? I'm kind of borring now and mellowed greatly. I do not judge. Well unless they drop thier cans off the lift. I hate that.

The article is from a British study. I know first hand that the Britts hit it hard. 6 is not out of the ordinary. I have seen it at Chamonix, St Anton and Zermatt. They are professional drinkers. Drink all day, ski down in the dark and hang out in thier ski boots at Apre. LOL
The Austrians are civil but hard core. They go out at 9 or 10 after a breakfast and then ski hard until 2 and then drink hard. They never look drunk.
Swiss start earlier but follow the 2:00 apre thing also. They also never look drunk.

This year I will find out what the Italians do.

ceo

I'll typically have a beer with lunch if it's available. I don't generally have one after skiing because it can cause me to get drowsy on the drive home.

BenedictGomez

Never; I just don't think it's responsible. Apres-ski I like to allow myself one IPA followed by a handful of Miller Lites. If on ski vacation I love drinking outside in the hot tub with the can residing in a snow koozie.

KustyTheKlown

Do you ever ski with out getting stoned? Do you ever ski without drinking beer? Do you ever ski without doing both?

no. i smoke pot every day of my life and have since i was 14 years old. smoking pot is a regular part of my skiing and general life. and it pretty much needs to be a concentrate dab to get me stoned at a level where i wouldn't be totally confident in my ability to exist normally. smoking flower just doesn't inebriate me the way it would for someone without 23 years of accumulated tolerance.

yes. i pretty much only drink socially, so i don't crush beers on the lift by myself, and i ski alone more often than with people.

if its really cold I'll sip on a whiskey flask a little bit. but i ski without drinking at all more often than not. in the spring its more likely

MidnightJester

Do you ever ski with out getting stoned? Do you ever ski without drinking beer? Do you ever ski without doing both?
So I Occasionally, Occasionally, Occasionally but Usually its a Mix of all of the above on a good snowy day :)~