• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

A little fall back to the future...

OffPeak

Just got back into skiing(started in the late 60's) so I spent many yrs on skis like Knneisl White Stars and Rossi STS.

In 2006 I bought Volkl Supersport 6 Stars and took them out to Steamboat. Definatly the wrong ski for all the powder.

Fast forward to now, In Nov. upon moving to Concord,MA from Richmond,VA I recommited to skiing Downhill.

At 60 i didn't want to work as hard as the 6 Stars had me doing. The Tech Rep suggested 2012/2013 Line Profit 90's.
I started skiing them as soon as there was snow at Wachusetts. Totally differant type of ski very nice in hard packed powder and now the new soft machined groomed. I didn't like how the skis held on the iceier hard pack.

For comparrison, I snagged a set of Volkl 5 Stars off the web at a very decent price skied them up in Killington on Presidents week they felt great on Mon/Tue and back to the Profit's on the the warmer Fri.

Just tried the 5 Stars at Wachusetts yesterday, what alot of work in the wet soft snow.

Anyone else use a similar two ski quiver?

wa-loaf

I've got 4 skis in my rotation.

Volkl Racetigers for Night league 180
Fischer Progressor 9+ former night league racer now just icy day ski 175
Salomon Enduro 85 all mtn ski, gets used most 177
Fischer Watea 94, powder/soft snow ski 186 (would like upgrade with Atomic Alibi or Blizzard Bonifide soon)

JDMRoma

Im kind of similar, I have my Volkl AC 50s for my carving / Ice Crud skis and used them out at Steamboat at Christmas.
They were good but not Excellent, so I just bought a pair of Volkl Gotama's for my Powder skis.
Have yet to get them out west but they have been fun in the powder I have hit here and in the glades.
Im bouncing back and forth between both pair of skis now, trying to figure out what I like better. My 50s are excellent at
everything other than really deep powder, so I may not need the Gotama's until I head back west !!

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I have Atomic Crimson TI's which were my single-ski quiver for the past year. I really enjoyed them but felt they were a little heavy, but for groomer work, and especially on sketchier days, they are excellent.

This year I had the chance to demo a pair of Line Sir Francis Bacons (REVIEW).

They were awesome, but might be a little wide for real daily use, and I had the same concern, they were a little chatty on hardpack at high speeds and I would surmise not quite as strong on ice.

What kind of skiing do you primarily do?

OffPeak

Nick, I pooched my lft knee surfing off the obx a few yrs ago and my ortho said no more skiing. My PT didn't agree and he made me sign in blood that I will stay on the blues at most and keep the speed undercontrol. So at 60 I'm happy to be on the boards and the knees are doing OK.

I went to Killington the Presidents week and had a blast, I was in my 20's the last time I was there.

Planning a trip to Attatash next week.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
OK good so for your type of skiing there is really no need for a super fat powder / woods / crud ski. You need a strong groomer ski primarily. That might change some of the suggestions on the board here, particularly if you aren't doing high speed steeps.

OffPeak

I guess maybe I was wondering if there was a better choice for ice and skiied off hard pack than the purchase of my "new" old 5 Stars.

The two skis Profit 90 and the 5 Stars are so totally diff in edge management. When I skied the 5 Stars it was really wierd to feel the tails bitting so hard, then I felt like yeah this right.

wa-loaf

I guess maybe I was wondering if there was a better choice for ice and skiied off hard pack than the purchase of my "new" old 5 Stars.

The two skis Profit 90 and the 5 Stars are so totally diff in edge management. When I skied the 5 Stars it was really wierd to feel the tails bitting so hard, then I felt like yeah this right.

If the 5 stars are in good shape you can't do much better than that for a hard snow ski. Ski the Profit 90's the rest of the time.

bigbog

...and especially like most Volkls, Stocklis, and performance carvers of today...the 5Stars want to be driven, not ridden. So much is going from edge to edge with both skis..
$.01

Last edited: