• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Abasin earnings

abc

I hate stopping for more than like 5 min. Legs get heavy. You get cold again.
I keep hearing that from people. But everyone I heard that from refuse to get decent clothes! (base layer, gloves, socks). Even when it's 30 degree! It's actually from over-heating wearing not breathable clothes...

I have it the reverse. If it's cold out, my feet get cold and need to go inside to warm up. Other times, I may not be wearing the right jacket. But I never "get cold" from stopping or going indoors!

abc

Ah, I got it. Sneaky!

Can't see how it would work though. Most people don't read the quoted part. Let alone click on anything.

kingslug

Hate stopping for lunch but mrs slug requires it. It just slows you down. Except when in Europe..then you have to..its part of the experience. But then it more than slows you down..damn near stops you. 1lb of schnitzel and some beer...oy.

abc

Hate stopping for lunch but mrs slug requires it. It just slows you down. Except when in Europe..then you have to..its part of the experience. But then it more than slows you down..damn near stops you. 1lb of schnitzel and some beer...oy.
Skiing in Europe is a different sport!

Actually, it's a past time rather than a sport. So, a day of skiing not only has long lunch is an integral part of a day of skiing. In fact, a day of skiing in Europe is more like a visit to as many on mountain restaurants and bars, with a bit of skiing in between. :)

There's a funny incident in one of my European trips with a bunch of British skiers. Upon sitting down on the 8-person chairlift, someone called out "bar" while pulling down the safety bar... Instead of leaning back to allow the lowering of the safety bar, the women on the other end of the chair turned and leaned forward... and asked "where?" ;)

dblskifanatic

Skiing in Europe is a different sport!

Actually, it's a past time rather than a sport. So, a day of skiing not only has long lunch is an integral part of a day of skiing. In fact, a day of skiing in Europe is more like a visit to as many on mountain restaurants and bars, with a bit of skiing in between. :)

There's a funny incident in one of my European trips with a bunch of British skiers. Upon sitting down on the 8-person chairlift, someone called out "bar" while pulling down the safety bar... Instead of leaning back to allow the lowering of the safety bar, the women on the other end of the chair turned and leaned forward... and asked "where?" ;)

The Bar joke has been used once or twice! it ids people in the right frame of mind!

dblskifanatic

Lunch is where you take in liquid courage!

abc

The Bar joke has been used once or twice!
Probably told by me.

It wasn't a joke. It happened for real. And the person who was in that "frame of mind" laugh about it in good nature. (she's not a big drinker, only a typical "social drinker" as far as I can tell)

While not a drinker myself, I confess the few times I was skiing over there, I planned some of my day's skiing by linking restaurants together. Mid morning break for coffee, relaxing long lunch, and sweets mid-afternoon, a drink after last lift up (in Europe, mountain restaurants open till well after last lift. It's a lovely thing to do to watch the sunset with a drink way up high - as long as you can ski back to your lodging afterwards)

Last edited:

jimmywilson69

this is all interesting perspective. My Wife thinks skiing in Europe is all extreme skiing and well over head. Sounds like that while there is some seriously dangerous stuff, there is plenty of groomers and chill skiing while being able to string together a day going between restaurants. How does one get versed in this... I need to ski over there!

abc

this is all interesting perspective. My Wife thinks skiing in Europe is all extreme skiing and well over head. Sounds like that while there is some seriously dangerous stuff, there is plenty of groomers and chill skiing while being able to string together a day going between restaurants. How does one get versed in this... I need to ski over there!
I'd say there're a whole lot more groomers (and a whole lot more restaurants) over there! :)

Sometimes, I also tag on a couple days of city sightseeing at either/both end of the skiing too. It becomes a "ski vacation", a vacation with some skiing. Or a sightseeing trip where a lot of the sightseeing is done while sliding on two planks. 😀