• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Advice in deciding on ski length

daverissin

Hi All, I am new to this site, but loving the content so far.

I am looking for some advice on choosing the correct ski length. I am planning to purchase the Head Kore 93, and I am trying to decide between the 171 and 180.
I am 5'11", 155 lbs., advanced skier with racing background (high school and some club racing in college). I was leaning towards the 171 because of my weight, as I am worried I will not be able to turn the 180's as effectively. That said, I do ski on the fast side, so the 180's would probably be more stable at speed.
Any input on these skis or general input on what size I should go for would be appreciated. Thanks for the help!!

WJenness

Demo, demo, demo.
Ski them both back to back and you'll have a much better idea what each length feels like, and which you'd prefer.

KustyTheKlown

demo is right answer.

but in general, 171 sounds really short for your height. granted youre a lightweight. i'm 5'11 195 and anything under 180 feels tiny to me.

daverissin

Thanks, yes I will try to do that. How do you go about finding out where and when Head will be doing demos?

WJenness

Thanks, yes I will try to do that. How do you go about finding out where and when Head will be doing demos?

Check the mountains you normally ski. When there's a demo day coming up, they will usually promote it very well.
Also talk to your local shops, they can get that info from their Head rep and get you that info.
A lot of times, local shops set up the demo days at a certain mountain. I got lucky and caught a Joe Jones demo day at Loon last year and got to try a bunch of stuff out.

I know that Sunday River usually does their demo days the Saturday & Sunday after Thanksgiving, so that is next weekend if you can get there.

Wachusett just posted a demo day they have coming up on Facebook. I have not read the details about which companies are demo-ing, but you can check that out.

Also, if you're certain you're buying that particular ski, you can probably demo direct from a shop. Demo days are great when you want to try a bunch of different skis out, but just doing a demo-rental from a shop for the ski you want to try could work too.

cdskier

Demo is the right answer if you can.

I'm 5'8 170lbs and my newest skis are 177. My older skis are 170. From my experience, the newer skis with some rocker to them tend to feel a bit shorter than they really are.

Tin

5'11 and 155? Drink a protein shake. If you are not on 185+ with a 100+ waist youre a bitch.

Dickc

Demo is the answer. I demoed skis at Loon back a few years ago for the first time and found some I really liked, and I could not get to the bottom fast enough to give the Atomic guy back his Crimsons. Boy were they BAD!

Bumpsis

I find the demo thing rather over rated. In principle I have nothing against demos, but over all, it's hassle. First, you have to aim to be at the place where they have a demo day - so that's a wait. Then, everybody on the mountain seems to want to demo, so it's actually time consuming to get your turn and finally, skis that that are being demoed usually are not that you can get a nice deal on.
Better method, find out if the rental shop has a ski that you're interested in or at least similar in performance to your target ski and just pay for the rental. If you tell the rental shop that you're trying to dial in the length of the ski that may fit you best, I'm sure they will let you try couple of different sizes. Then order the ski on evo. I scored some great deals that way on skis that I absolutely love.

JDMRoma

I find the demo thing rather over rated. In principle I have nothing against demos, but over all, it's hassle. First, you have to aim to be at the place where they have a demo day - so that's a wait. Then, everybody on the mountain seems to want to demo, so it's actually time consuming to get your turn and finally, skis that that are being demoed usually are not that you can get a nice deal on.
Better method, find out if the rental shop has a ski that you're interested in or at least similar in performance to your target ski and just pay for the rental. If you tell the rental shop that you're trying to dial in the length of the ski that may fit you best, I'm sure they will let you try couple of different sizes. Then order the ski on evo. I scored some great deals that way on skis that I absolutely love.

Id agree with this almost.......Before Going to Evo Id ask the rental shop if theyd give you a deal on the skis you rented.
when I was out west I rented Soul 7s, they were only out a few days before I got them as a rental. I asked about buying them outright and got a an awesome deal $450 shipped home included.Granted I still blew the sizing and sold them after one season but still got a real good deal so I didn't lose out too much $$$

Glenn

You will regret going small

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Certainly depends. I went with a 170 vs. a 177. I wanted something I could take in the bumps and in the woods. I felt it was a good compromise. I can still open them up nicely on the groomers.

Cliffs: Demo

cdskier

When many of us say demo, that includes the "better method" you list. We're not all referring strictly to formal demo days where the manufacturer reps show up (or at least I wasn't). When you pay and demo from a local shop, they'll also often apply the demo fee towards the purchase price of the ski if you choose to buy from them.

KustyTheKlown

Id agree with this almost.......Before Going to Evo Id ask the rental shop if theyd give you a deal on the skis you rented.
when I was out west I rented Soul 7s, they were only out a few days before I got them as a rental. I asked about buying them outright and got a an awesome deal $450 shipped home included.Granted I still blew the sizing and sold them after one season but still got a real good deal so I didn't lose out too much $$$

please tell me you immediately put real bindings on and that you don't ski on clunky hand-adjustable demo bindings.

oh, and random, but FS - Salomon Guardian 16 bindings, used about 30 days, still in totally great shape just normal wear and tear, I just wanted to shed the weight and switched to look bindings without a touring feature. $225 obo. weekdays Brooklyn new York. weekends new England/upstate new York. holler at your boi

BenedictGomez

Certainly depends. I went with a 170 vs. a 177. I wanted something I could take in the bumps and in the woods. I felt it was a good compromise. I can still open them up nicely on the groomers.

Yeah, it depends what you want them for.

BenedictGomez

please tell me you immediately put real bindings on and that you don't ski on clunky hand-adjustable demo bindings.

Demo bindings have come a long way. I have demo bindings on several pairs of my skis, and I notice no difference in my skiing. They're not even that much heavier anymore (if at all).

mister moose

When many of us say demo, that includes the "better method" you list. We're not all referring strictly to formal demo days where the manufacturer reps show up (or at least I wasn't). When you pay and demo from a local shop, they'll also often apply the demo fee towards the purchase price of the ski if you choose to buy from them.

This. Demo just means "try out". Free or not depends on your resourcefulness.

On mountain demo days are usually geared to the masses. Expect to see the most popular skis available to try. On occasion I've been offered something to try from the van, so my guess is if you look like you won't abuse the ski and are interested in something special, sometimes you get lucky.

Ski shops will cost more, but sometimes have skis that the on mountain reps don't have. Or in the length you want to try. So it's a mixed bag. With some skis they are very close and you'll wonder why you bothered. Other skis that are described as being the same purpose/design are so different as to make you glad you never handed over your money for the pair you don't like.