• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

AIARE Level 1

wtcobb

Completed the AIARE Level 1 avalanche course this weekend with Marc Chauvin. One day of classroom curriculum plus two days on snow in Tuckerman.

A great course to take and lots of info learned. Marc was a great instructor and kept it light, straightforward, and fun while presenting a ton of detailed instruction.

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1484751377.362268.jpg

The skiing was... interesting... in both the bowl and the Sherb. But this weekend was about gaining knowledge, not laying down tracks. The snowpack is in great (if bulletproof) shape with almost 200cm in places where we dug pits. Looks a good spring is on tap.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

wtcobb

How many runs did you get in? Which gullies?

Sunday just down the Sherb, Monday one run down Chicken Rock. Found some good and surprisingly deep powder blown in from the 1" Saturday night, but it quickly turned into uneven boilerplate. Sherb was nicer Monday.

Abominable

If nothing else you got a bluebird day (looks like) in a beautiful place.

wtcobb

If nothing else you got a bluebird day (looks like) in a beautiful place.

Monday was definitely beautiful weather. The sun up high was HOT and winds minimal. Sunday was a little more blustery and got cold as we were hanging around the bowl doing curriculum work.

skiNEwhere

Nice man, funny coincidence too, I just got my AIARE 1 this weekend as well.

I think I'm going to take AIARE 2 down the line since I still have quite a few questions, 3 days just isn't enough.

wtcobb

Nice man, funny coincidence too, I just got my AIARE 1 this weekend as well.

I think I'm going to take AIARE 2 down the line since I still have quite a few questions, 3 days just isn't enough.

Nice! Seems like a popular weekend for it with the Monday holiday. The guide in our course told us CO should be in for a banner year.

He also told us AIARE 2 is changing formats next year with a Pro track (intended for guides) and a Recreation track for every day skiers. How that curriculum changes and follows will be seen. His recommendation for us in the next 1-2 years was to take another AIARE 1 with a different guide as we'd likely get more out of it - even the same material will have a different perspective with a new instructor and be a good refresher while the new curriculum for Level 2 is developed and refined.

Stay safe out there!