• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Alpine Touring Ski for East Coast Backcountry

timm

Looking to set up an AT rig. For now looking for a one ski quiver, or close to it. East Coast only so don't want to go as fat or soft as most dedicated touring skis seem to be.

K2 Backlash is my ideal, 92 under foot, nice sidecut, beefy enough but still fairly light. But it's out of production. Its replacement, the Sideshow, is almost two pounds heavier and that's more weight than I want to deal with for touring.

Anyone have suggestions for an East Coast appropriate AT ski, 90-95 underfoot?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Don't worry about it. Binding and boot weight is going to be your bigger issue. If you're going for beef enough to handle daily resort driving, you're already screwed in the weight department by having a boot and binding more designed for in bounds than out of bounds. Just find a ski you think you'll like and go with it, don't sweat the weight. If weight is that much of an issue, you're already going tech binding and boots and then you can afford the extra weight to get better downhill performance.

timm

Yeah sorry for the confusing original post. I'm not crazy about weight saving, since I am mostly a day tripper, but the 8 lbs plus of the Sideshows is a lot to be pushing up hills.

Scruffy

Yeah sorry for the confusing original post. I'm not crazy about weight saving, since I am mostly a day tripper, but the 8 lbs plus of the Sideshows is a lot to be pushing up hills.

look at Trab skis. the Trab Ripido looks nice 88 under foot, whch is fine for east coast , and 3 lb 3.8 oz

The ski Trab Stelvio FreeRide Light XL Alpine Ski also looks nice, 90 under foot, but 5 lb+

timm

Those Stelvio FreeRide Light XL are beautiful but out of my budget. 5 lb+ isn't a concern for me, I don't have an issue with anything up to 6.5 pounds really. I'd rather have the additional performance on the way down. The weight issue with the Sideshows is just that they are over 8 lbs, which is just too much to justify probably.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Anyone have any experience with the BD Aspects or G3 Saints?
I ski the G3 Tonics which are one size fatter than the Saints. I didn't recommend them because you are looking for a "one ski quiver" which to me says you want one ski that works well in all conditions. I think that lineup from G3 (the lineup without the metal in the core including the Tonic and the Saint) are soft snow skis only. Maybe the Saint is different, but it is in the same lineup so I wouldn't think so. Anyways, Tonic is absolutely incredible in soft snow. Blows in firm snow.

timm

That's what I was worried about. I'll probably eventually get a strictly soft snow fat ski but for now gotta stay with one ski only so definitely something sturdier is called for. Thanks.

bigbog

Imho..I think a few of the Indies(Independent ski producers) have some skis with the qualities that can do both...Moment, ON3P, LaSportiva, Dynafit, Movement, 4FRNT....etc, along with a few skis from some of the major brand-names...Salomon, Dynastar and others.
$.01

Last edited:

timm

Ended up deciding on a two ski setup for AT in the end, cause I found K2 Backups on ridiculous markdown. Going with those and Atomic Drifter. Feel covered for everything here in the East short of the very deepest days. But all the shopping made me eager to expand from my one ski quiver for lift served, haha. So another thread, and credit card hit, to come :)