• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Alternatives to Hunter from Long Island w/good snow making and crowd control?

cdskier

I would not be surprised if Plattekill is already sold out for Sunday make sure you check first.

Both Saturday and Sunday still showing available as of right now...but always solid advice to book tickets as early as possible these days with many places having limits.

tnt1234

They cap it really low, gondola might have longish lines but especially fixed grip lifts will probably have little to no lines

If it snows you get more passholders showing up which can increase the crowd but generally due to the caps it does not get crowded at all
Thanks for the info

They filling gondi's or letting people just ride with their group?

PAabe

They have been encouraging 3-4 people to go in each cabin if it is busy (it is an 8 passenger gondola), windows encouraged to stay open and face covering required to get on.

Gondola at Belle is new and kind of on a weird alignment so it might not be necessary to ride it a lot if they have the other lifts running

JimG.

Staff member
They have been encouraging 3-4 people to go in each cabin if it is busy (it is an 8 passenger gondola), windows encouraged to stay open and face covering required to get on.

Gondola at Belle is new and kind of on a weird alignment so it might not be necessary to ride it a lot if they have the other lifts running
I avoid the gondi all day when I ski at Belle unless Tomahawk is closed. PITA to go down to the main lodge area with all the runout.

tnt1234

I avoid the gondi all day when I ski at Belle unless Tomahawk is closed. PITA to go down to the main lodge area with all the runout.
We'll start at overlook - I think they have ticket machines there....if not we'll have to o down to the base to get them.

But I don't mind the run out if there isn't a line at the Gondi...

The Tomahawk and the Gondi take just about the same time to get to teh top. So if it's super cold or windy, we'll ride the gondi more, and if it's a nice day, hit the hawk.

JimG.

Staff member
We'll start at overlook - I think they have ticket machines there....if not we'll have to o down to the base to get them.

But I don't mind the run out if there isn't a line at the Gondi...

The Tomahawk and the Gondi take just about the same time to get to teh top. So if it's super cold or windy, we'll ride the gondi more, and if it's a nice day, hit the hawk.
There is a ticket machine at Tomahawk too. That has become my go-to parking spot.

We were there today and the gondi was occasionally crowded because 8 was closed. But 7 was open which made me happy because Yahoo and Onteora were excellent. They made more snow everywhere and there is a base in the trees. Everything open skied really well there is great snow everywhere. Now we need another foot to open the woods up.

rebel1916

Without a Highmount expansion/revival, that gondy makes zero sense.

camberstick

Bellayre has come a long way but it is a state run operation, bureaucracy moves slowly. Hope that I can see highmount reopen in my lifetime.

rebel1916

Bellayre has come a long way but it is a state run operation, bureaucracy moves slowly. Hope that I can see highmount reopen in my lifetime.
I think Belle has gotten worse under ORDA. They have spent a ton of money and their snow making is obviously great, but the new lodge is soulless, the gondola to nowhere is ridiculous, they leave far fewer trails bumped up, they never open Dreamcatcher because the cliffs make them nervous, they don't put "lower" Dreamcatcher on the map, which makes me concerned they will stop maintaining it, and their ticket prices are through the roof.