• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Anyone planning on skiing during the eclipse?

letitsnow1

I wonder how many people booked air bnbs in the mountains that have never heard of mud season. It could be interesting, tow trucks will be busy

Zand

You guys have been to northern New England in April, right? You do know there is at least a 70% chance you won't see shit?

I took that day off but I'm not booking ANYTHING. If Vermont looks like it will be sunny then I will definitely just head there. But I'm fully prepared to get in the car on Saturday and drive as far into the Midwest as I need to to escape any cloud cover that will likely envelope this area.

from-the-hotel-s-gardens.jpg

jimmywilson69

yeah that is pretty much what all of anything north of the Mason Dixon line will look like...

Was going to go to our cabin and then visit family in Erie for the day.

BUT!!!

I never put it on the calendar and I have to instruct a course starting on Monday the 8th.

HUGE FAIL

no offense but I hope its cloudy AF at least in northwest PA.

drjeff

You guys have been to northern New England in April, right? You do know there is at least a 70% chance you won't see shit?

I took that day off but I'm not booking ANYTHING. If Vermont looks like it will be sunny then I will definitely just head there. But I'm fully prepared to get in the car on Saturday and drive as far into the Midwest as I need to to escape any cloud cover that will likely envelope this area.

View attachment 61130
Yup,

My plan is that my home base will be my condo at Mount Snow that day. If the weather looks reasonable, My wife and I will make the 3ish hr trek up 100 to ski Stowe and watch the eclipse and then drive back down to our condo. If the weather isn't cooperative, we'll just ski at Mount Snow or maybe Okemo and head back to the condo and watch it get a bit darker through the clouds around 3:15 and then get a bit lighter again around 4 before nightfall sets in. I figure that there's about a 25-30% chance of the weather gods giving a clear afternoon in Northern VT on April 8th

RH29

I'm planning on hitting Burke, I'd assume they will stay open for the day of the eclipse. Got lodging for $200/night at the Burke Hotel.

parahelia

I've been looking forward to the eclipse for ages! We'll be skiing Sunday River the preceding weekend and are going to drive over to Sugarloaf for the day Monday. I figure/hope the roads east to Sugarloaf are less likely to be clogged. My astronomer colleagues have all sorts of horror stories of multi-hour traffic jams in more populated places in eclipses past. That being said, the crappy April New England climatology (cloudy, see below) may push people to go further SW for optimal viewing.
GF1Wq0_WcAAKqAM.jpg
Clouds be damned, I canceled my classes on that Monday and am giving all my students eclipse glasses.

This is a great interactive map with all the details about eclipse path, timing, duration, etc.

LoafSkier19

Planning to stay the weekend with family at Sugarloaf. Already got a few spots picked out to view it in case it’s a madhouse on the mountain.

2Planker

I'm planning on hitting Burke, I'd assume they will stay open for the day of the eclipse. Got lodging for $200/night at the Burke Hotel.
Could be an interesting week....
Solar Eclipse followed by The Loaf's 36th ReggaeFest....
YIKES I know we started going in the early 90's..... Many, many brain cells ago :cool:

Last edited:

Edd

Started researching eclipse glasses and having trouble trusting my eyes with any of them 😆

ceo

Yes, but currently it's not a possibility for me to travel further afield to a more conducive weather zone. So if it's all cloudy everywhere in driving distance, at least we're skiing.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Do a day at Mont Sutton. About 35 minutes from Troy. Unique layout with tons of trees. Few Americans go there = interesting experience.

There or Orford are what looks most appealing to me. Owls Head third, Bromont 4th.

It'll be a last minute decision based upon anticipated conditions and available terrain. I'll have our 5 year old with us, so availability of terrain for her is the biggest factor. She's not into the trees yet like her big brother. So, Sutton might not be the best choice this year.

BodeMiller1

I've been looking forward to the eclipse for ages! We'll be skiing Sunday River the preceding weekend and are going to drive over to Sugarloaf for the day Monday. I figure/hope the roads east to Sugarloaf are less likely to be clogged. My astronomer colleagues have all sorts of horror stories of multi-hour traffic jams in more populated places in eclipses past. That being said, the crappy April New England climatology (cloudy, see below) may push people to go further SW for optimal viewing.
View attachment 61132
Clouds be damned, I canceled my classes on that Monday and am giving all my students eclipse glasses.

This is a great interactive map with all the details about eclipse path, timing, duration, etc.
If Sugar Loaf has a powder day it'll be a slow go.

Eclipse + Snow + Bears = Rubbernecking + X

"My astronomer colleagues have all sorts of..." :popcorn:

The plot thickens.

If eclipse viewers are more passionate than leaf peepers (there is reason to believe they are) then no one will be going any where.

Last edited:

kbroderick

View attachment 61132

I'm hoping for an unusually sunny day (they do happen in April, sometimes) and expecting roads to be a total CF. A friend of mine organized a camping trip to Union Pass, Wyoming, for the last one and it was super cool but the busiest day ever in the history of the national forest and the South gate to Yellowstone. We sat in a fair bit of traffic.

More populated areas are a double edged sword: more people, but far better road infrastructure. Overloading rural roads didn't take nearly as many people, as anyone who has attempted to drive to a major ski area at 8:30 am on a busy Saturday can attest.

machski

SR is right on the edge of full totality and they have an eclipse watch party on their event docket for it. We could also run up to Dixville which is in totality as it's a quick hour away. But I'm torn, as a corporate fractional pilot, we get clients booking eclipse flights and right now I am suppose to fly that weekend. Could shift it off but don't know which way to toss the dice for best chances. Decisions.....

thebigo

I booked a 2-day trip to Sugarloaf with a friend and my younger kid. On-mountain lodging was stupid expensive (more so than usual) and didn't allow checking in or out on Saturday, and every other place in the area that had online booking was sold out that weekend. But I called a place in Stratton that didn't have online booking and they had plenty of space. Ideally it'll be a bluebird day and we can watch from the summit, for a closer view. :) (actually, we might be able to see the shadow approaching.) But if it's cloudy at SL and clear elsewhere within driving range, we're going to eat our tickets and the kid's lesson and go eclipse chasing; need to bring our passports in case we have to chase it into Canada.
SL has "Sugarloaf Skiclipse" in their events calendar but no details on their plans for the thing.
Booked sugarloaf mountain hotel last spring. Guy who took the reservation had no idea there was an eclipse. Think the room is a one bedroom suite plus Murphy in living room. Was around $1500 all in with breakfast for three nights. Certainly more than we typically spend but hopefully a good memory for the kids.

kbroderick

SR is right on the edge of full totality and they have an eclipse watch party on their event docket for it. We could also run up to Dixville which is in totality as it's a quick hour away. But I'm torn, as a corporate fractional pilot, we get clients booking eclipse flights and right now I am suppose to fly that weekend. Could shift it off but don't know which way to toss the dice for best chances. Decisions.....
Watching from outside the edge of totality being almost as good is about the same as watching an NHL game on TV being almost as good as watching from behind the bench.

Milan and Upton are within totality according to the Google map posted a little while ago, so it's not that far off geographically, but if clouds don't ruin the party it should be worth going north. In your shoes, though, I probably would try to fly one of those clients somewhere with lower risk of cloud cover.

Sugarloaf looks like it should be near maximum totality (2 min 58 sec puts it about 30s short of the max).

BodeMiller1

"You flew your Lear Jet up to Nova Scotia to see a total eclipse of the sun." It's amazing how many people want to experience the darkness of dawn and dusk for a fleeting 3 minutes. Rare, maybe I just don't understand. This is a marketing thing no more no less.

Never been a jet setter and I guess I never will.