• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Apartment Life

ctenidae

Unlike city dwellers, us country folk learn how to live self sufficiently... like using a coffee maker.

/It's a biatch cranking that hand generator to charge the batteries though.

You've got to drive 54 miles to get to the grocery store, though, don't you?
I hear getting a pizza delivered requires the top 3 Iditarod teams, 2 support helicopters, and at least 3 weeks advanced notice. And that's just to place the order.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Actually the nice thing about living in a town like Dudley that is mostly postage stamp neighborhoods with dots of protected farmland in between is that it's 1.5 miles to the grocery store.

I'd prefer to live somewhere 54 miles to the grocery store though, if you must know.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'd prefer to live somewhere 54 miles to the grocery store though, if you must know.

I did in Snowshoe, WV.

There was a convenience store, six miles and 2000 vertical feet down the mountain, a ghetto store in Marlinton 25 miles away or a decent store in Elkins, right about 50 miles away. Depending on weather it would take an hour and a half through the mountain passes to get there.

I was cool with it for about six months, then it got OLD real fast making that trip once a week. By the time you got there, shopped and came home, half your day GONE.

Mind you, I LOVE to cook and entertain, but I don't like to spend half my day acquiring ingredients.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I did in Snowshoe, WV.

There was a convenience store, six miles and 2000 vertical feet down the mountain, a ghetto store in Marlinton 25 miles away or a decent store in Elkins, right about 50 miles away. Depending on weather it would take an hour and a half through the mountain passes to get there.

I was cool with it for about six months, then it got OLD real fast making that trip once a week. By the time you got there, shopped and came home, half your day GONE.

Mind you, I LOVE to cook and entertain, but I don't like to spend half my day acquiring ingredients.

Unless I'm getting something fresh to cook the same day (usually only fish) I go to the grocery store maximum once every two weeks... mostly because of the root celler and freezer full of vegetables from my garden... next year I'm hoping to stretch it even further.

Despite that, yeah, the 50 miles thing was just my way of saying, I wish I didn't live so close to stupid suburbia and all that goes with that scene, even if I'm not in it, per se.

ctenidae

Unless I'm getting something fresh to cook the same day (usually only fish) I go to the grocery store maximum once every two weeks... mostly because of the root celler and freezer full of vegetables from my garden... next year I'm hoping to stretch it even further.

Despite that, yeah, the 50 miles thing was just my way of saying, I wish I didn't live so close to stupid suburbia and all that goes with that scene, even if I'm not in it, per se.

Dudley, unfortunately, seems to be perfectly located near to stupid suburbia and not much else.

I'd like to have a place 54 miles from anything, but I wouldn't want to live there full time.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Dudley, unfortunately, seems to be perfectly located near to stupid suburbia and not much else.

I'd like to have a place 54 miles from anything, but I wouldn't want to live there full time.

The only redeeming quality is if I ever, God forbid, reproduce, Shepherd Hill RHS is consistently rated er, highly I guess?

The family house and land was a nice deal too, I'm not going to lie. Not everyone can say they live in a house their family built 280 years ago.

deadheadskier

Staff member

and it wasn't just the grocery store either. Hardware store, car parts store, clothing, liquor store, etc, etc.

I hear you about being far away from suburbia. I like the balance of rural area and suburban amenities I have here in seacoast NH. It's probably not too different from Dudley.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
and it wasn't just the grocery store either. Hardware store, car parts store, clothing, liquor store, etc, etc.

I hear you about being far away from suburbia. I like the balance of rural area and suburban amenities I have here in seacoast NH. It's probably not too different from Dudley.

It's very similar... plus NE CT where I'm originally from is not far, and is even more rural.

/Threadjack complete.