• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

April Fools!

Brettski

Website
weblogs.sqlteam.com
What a week we just had. My family is getting better and better with each run. Checked in to the Loon Mountain Club on Saturday April 1st. They were having the Mountain Dew challenge, and from speaking with the Resort operators, it had rained on them the last 3 years. And it was a ZOO. Sunday turned silent with everyone leaving thankfully. The Kaiser Ski family consists of me and my wife, my son 13, and 2 daughters 9 and 7.

Date Skied: Sunday, April 2nd, 2006

Resort or Ski Area: Cannon

Conditions: 60 Degrees, mashed potatoes, bluebird sky

Trip Report: Closed the Mountain. What a glorious day! First day out in a while and boy did the quads burn with the heavy, heavy, mashed potatoes. Free beer in the lodge at the end of the day. Got baked...forgot the sunscreen. Tram was closed, although it looked like I could have skiied from the top. The beginner area was open, and was mostly in shade so the kids had more fun with that, although riding the lift every 2 minutes got mundane. Oh, did I mention that it was free skiing!

Date(s) Skied: Monday April 3rd, 2006

Resort or Ski Area: Loon

Conditions: Groomed frozen granular in the morning, mush in the afternoon

Trip Report: $58.00/$48.00/$38.00 for Adult, Junior and Kids. Is this spring or what? I mean staying slopeside it GREAT, but what a rip. The mountain however was in very fine shape. We headed directly over to the North side since it seemed everybody was wanting to use the Gondi. Walking Boss and the trail under the lift (Flume?) was in very good condition. We left and went to the center of the mountain and it was starting to get heavy. Should never have left, but it seemed it went from empty, to "found out". It was another warm beautiful day. Not warm enough for shorts, but I got baked again. We hit the wall arounf 2:30 and called it quits. The girls were getting quit tired.

Date(s) Skied: Tuesday April 4th, 2006

Resort or Ski Area: None

Conditions: Miserable

Trip Report: The weather was miserable, so it was a good day to take a break, plus I busted my eyeglasses the day before. It was raining and sleeting so hard that it was going sideways, They closed Loon by 10:00 it was so bad. I drove to Littleton (sp?) so I could get my glasses fixed. Is everything a 40 minute drive?

Date(s) Skied: Wednesday, April 5th, 2006

Resort or Ski Area: Sunday River, Bethel Maine

Conditions: Stellar

Trip Report: OK, so you go from 60-65 degrees on Sunday to an overnight low of about 25 degrees. Bethel got slammed with pow. They said it was only 4 inches on the mountain, but I gotta tell you it looked more like a foot. This is the first time the kids have ever seen anything of this size. We've been to Hunta, Mount Snow, Smugglers, but nothing can copare to the vastness of the river, or something like kmart. I had to make sure they understood getting separated was not an option.

The river always has done a great job of grooming, but what the really did after the storm was a great job of NOT grooming certain terrain. It was like mid-winter conditions. And with a day off, everyone's legs were ready to go. We left Loon at 7:00 and got to Bethel in 2 hours. Never did the Kanc run before. Very beautiful. AND lift was only $35.00...so how can loon...never mind.

The kids got so much better by having to ski so much mashed potatoes, then being let loose on perfectly groomed runs. Even the blue cruisers were more like any other black runs they were on. Green for them is no longer an option for them. They complain they're bored. Plus now, they like to play in the bump fields.

And to top it all of as well, it was another bluebird day, and only softened up barely at the bottom at the end of the day. The girls called it quits after coming down Obsession and headed back to South ridge base...unfortunately they ended up on 3 Mile Trail, which saw no traffic, was flat, and full of pow. They were very tired.

So, I took my son over to White Heat. We're sitting on the Heat chairlift, and White Cap base is already in full apres mode and cranking up the toons, blasting them up the hill, when Margaritaville starts pounding. It looked like they groomed out White Heat pretty good, because I remember the bumps to be a lot larger. Plus the left side is always groomed flat. So the Heat didn't faze my son at all now. As a matter of fact, I think Black Hole on Aurora might be steeper. That was all pow, and the runout was as well. Fresh tracks there.

Saw my first Moose on the run back across the Kanc. Baby Moose was standing in the middle of the Road, and Mommy was just off in the trees.

Why do they have signs that say break for Moose? Do New Hampshire-ites just drive in to them when they see them? I don't understand. Of course I was gonna break for the moose.

Date(s) Skied: Thursday, April 6th, 2006

Resort or Ski Area: Loon

Conditions: Very Good

Trip Report: Well, I started my day by running over to a ski shop. I was in the market to try on the Nordica Speed Machine ski boots. Know what? NOBODY has the damn things. The shop at the mountain told me their store in Woodstock would have them. OK, up bright and early, got to the store when the shop opened at 9:00. Tried them on, and the felt great. Guy then said they had last years model, which felt the same, and some silly laces for the front of the boot (I actually like that feature), and the were on sale even more than this years model. I like to buy the year before stuff. VERY CHEAP. OK, done sold.

Back to the mountains, bring the Pocket Rockets down to fit the boot. Wanted to demo a pair of all mountain expert Volkl 5 stars. Didn't have any. Talked me into a demo of the Volkl AllStars. What an AMAZING Ski! Totally different from the rockets. I could not over drive these skis. There was no edge it would not hold. Transition from turn to turn was incredibly quick. I felt like I was almost parallel with the snow. When I picked up the Rockets, they didn't charge me for the demo (usually $29.00 for 1/2 a day) and the tuning center did a full stone gride, repair, and excellent tune...for nothing. Threw that guy a nice tip.

Oh, the Mountain. It was overcast all day, and the temps were in the 20's. What a greate end to a great trip. Everyone's legs were raring to go, and there was no quit in anyone.

The spa at the mountain is exceptionally nice, we went from the out door jacuzzi with the family, to the pool, to our respective gender oriented spas for some more jacuzzi, sauna, and steam room.

Special Mention to the Woodstock Inn for their great breakfasts, and the Brewery. Also special Mention for Mountain View pizzaria...fast delivery, and very good and unique pizza's and greek salads....for a metro New Yorker to say that, it's got to be good.

Damn....it can't be seasons end already.....

The All seasons pass deal Ends May 2nd for next year...Hmmmmmmmm