• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Are you the slow driver or the fast driver?

sull1102

CT has some of the worst drivers I have ever seen. Like the asshat that pulls into the gas station in front of me..parks in front of both pumps..looks at me giving him the death stare and just points to the store..then walks over to it. Now you can't use either pump and hes inside waiting for a friggin donut.
asshats.....bet he's a joy on the road as well.
CT has the worst human beings not just drivers.

kingslug

Its a strange place..but since we live in the woods we don't deal with them much ,mostly hang out with NY'ers in Pound Ridge.

asnowmobiler

I tend to drive way faster than most. When you drive at higher speeds often, your senses adjust to it, so what seem crazy fast to some people, seems like a casual drive to me. I'm to blame for all the warm weather, I switched to snow tires 3 weeks ago because my car was in the shop anyway.

Last edited:

JimG.

Staff member
I tend to drive way faster than most. When you drive at higher speeds often, you senses adjust to it, so what seem crazy fast to some people, seems like a casual drive to me. I'm to blame for all the warm weather, I switched to snow tires 3 weeks ago because my car was in the shop anyway.
I've been putting off buying the new snowblower I need.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
I tend to drive way faster than most. When you drive at higher speeds often, you senses adjust to it, so what seem crazy fast to some people, seems like a casual drive to me. I'm to blame for all the warm weather, I switched to snow tires 3 weeks ago because my car was in the shop anyway.

Classic ...

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I have not read all the posts in this thread. But I had a front-wheel drive crappy Hyundai Elantra sedan the past 4-5 seasons. I was really on the fence about what it would be able to do in the snow. I got the best snow tires money could buy. Holy crap. That thing never failed me. My most outstanding memory with that car was a solid snowstorm, maybe 4-6" of unplowed snow on the massive hill on Rt 100 between Weston and Ludlow. I passed one truck and one car who couldn't get up, and the car in front of me stalled trying to get up the hill. I had no issue. I've gotten stuck in a couple parking lots but that's what extra floor mats are for.

If you haven't tried snow tires in the past ten years, or think AWD/4WD is enough, try a new, modern set of snows. It made my frickin Elantra unstoppable in dozens and dozens of powder days.

This season I have a new-to-me Rav4 with AWD. It has brand new all-season tires and I'm moving cross-country next year so I'm not getting snows that'd I'd be burdened with getting out there. Even with the bigger car, the AWD, and the fact that they're brand new all-season M+S tires I'd still take my Enantra out in the snow over what I have now. That's how confident I felt with my only snow tires. Luckily It's only one season. Even if the car performs immaculately with these tires I'm dropping the $600+ and getting another set of awesome snows for 2021-2022.

Hawk

I have been driving the 200 mi / 3.25 hr route to Sugarbush or Sunday River most weekends opening to closing for 35 years. I drive fairly fast and I drive in any conditions. We go no matter what. 80 is basically my max and is weather dependent. I have a few practices I follow:
- I always watch what is going on behind me and let anybody go that is pressuring me.
- I usually try to stay out of the passing lane if possible.
- I always try to find a rabbit and follow them a few hundred yards behind.
- brake lights in the distance are a warning and I try to slow if I see this happen
- I use Waze on the highways. It has saved me 100's of times.

da-bum

Back in my crazier days, it was always all out, even when the snow on the highway hasn't been shoveled and all I had were high performance summer tires. Now, decades later, on highways, I keep waze on and if there is someone that is going 90 or something and I feel like following, I will make sure I am maybe a quarter mile behind. Come the local switchbacks traversing up the mountain, the glove comes off, dry or snow, of course, now I have AWD car and winter tires (but not before). This is when the wife gets upset from spilled coffee and nauseated from the breakfast we just had. Whenever I am in the resort and have to go to a parking lot, I would do some drifting if there is snow on the ground, since here in the city, they shovel the snow away in those large parking lots pretty quickly.

darent

moderate driver, speed limit on two lane roads and about 5 too 10 mph over on interstate and I hate driving a car with all the new crap, If you want to have the car drive you hirer a chauffeur

BenedictGomez

I have been driving the 200 mi / 3.25 hr route to Sugarbush or Sunday River most weekends opening to closing for 35 years. I drive fairly fast and I drive in any conditions. We go no matter what. 80 is basically my max and is weather dependent. I have a few practices I follow:
- I always watch what is going on behind me and let anybody go that is pressuring me.
- I usually try to stay out of the passing lane if possible.
- I always try to find a rabbit and follow them a few hundred yards behind.
- brake lights in the distance are a warning and I try to slow if I see this happen
- I use Waze on the highways. It has saved me 100's of times.

I like your style. One difference? I am the rabbit. Very expensive radar detector "has saved me 100's of times". I need to get a new one though as it's old now, probably a great time to buy right now I bet.