• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

AZ Summit 6.0 changes?

wa-loaf

What was first tracks last year.....Frozen granular or wind blown hard pack?

I'm not normally someone who seeks out groomers, but every year except for the nuclear March meltdown year, the snow for first tracks has been absolutely perfect butter cord. Total hero snow. It's my favorite part of the weekend.

Regardless of the year, there's nothing like having the hill to yourself for an hour. After Nemo 2 years ago we were hitting all the windblown leftovers, last year was high speed runs with no one really in the way.

Puck it

Regardless of the year, there's nothing like having the hill to yourself for an hour. After Nemo 2 years ago we were hitting all the windblown leftovers, last year was high speed runs with no one really in the way.

Except for you and deadhead as I reached tuna speed

prsboogie

I can't make this year but what would you think would be a sufficient amount of contributions to be let in?

rocojerry

I'm not normally someone who seeks out groomers, but every year except for the nuclear March meltdown year, the snow for first tracks has been absolutely perfect butter cord. Total hero snow. It's my favorite part of the weekend.

If I ever missed first tracks, i would be sad. Its definately a huge draw for me, and the cord is great when you are the first to hit it -- but also having nobody else on the hill so you can go full speed out of the gate.. You are ready to rock and all warmed up with 5+ runs in by the time most are crawling out of bed. You are working a different part of the mountain, while others are getting warm. One of these days, it will be a powder morning. That hour of the day may be worth the whole weekend pricetag for me....

also in the camp of posting as many hundred times as needed for first tracks! :) but i've always tried to add quality posts over quantity :)

wa-loaf

The hardest part is making it to the lift at 7:30 after two nights of partying!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Every year I say I'll only party on Friday and take it easy on Saturday so I'm fresh for First Tracks. It never happens. Someone should call Ethan and get that Talking Heads cover band back this year.

abc

Maybe you misunderstood? I'm just talking about the 75 people who get to make "first tracks"... This isn't something that costs extra - and it isn't even going to be something that determines whether someone attends. Opening the summit to everyone is fine - we all benefit from the good deal. I just think these little perks could be for the regular users.
You're right. Sorry I misunderstood.

Handbanana

Geez, I feel like this thread might have been directed towards me a little earlier, since I did post in the reg thread with such a small post count. If this isn't supposed to be something open to everyone, maybe the minimum post count should be higher? I understand how you could feel like someone like me is kind of crashing your party though. I lurk because I'm new to NE ski areas (last year was really the first time I made a bunch of trips to NH and VT), and don't really know enough to have an opinion worth posting on most topics. But this place is very helpful for determining where I might want to check out next. Among those places is SL, and the summit seems like a great opportunity to check out the resort, while meeting some cool new people.

Anyway, hopefully once the season gets rolling I'll have more to contribute. Oh, and it wasn't me. I haven't booked anything yet.

Savemeasammy

I didn't even try to make the first tracks thing last year, but having the hill to yourself sounds pretty sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deadheadskier

Staff member
Geez, I feel like this thread might have been directed towards me a little earlier, since I did post in the reg thread with such a small post count. If this isn't supposed to be something open to everyone, maybe the minimum post count should be higher? I understand how you could feel like someone like me is kind of crashing your party though. I lurk because I'm new to NE ski areas (last year was really the first time I made a bunch of trips to NH and VT), and don't really know enough to have an opinion worth posting on most topics. But this place is very helpful for determining where I might want to check out next. Among those places is SL, and the summit seems like a great opportunity to check out the resort, while meeting some cool new people.

Anyway, hopefully once the season gets rolling I'll have more to contribute. Oh, and it wasn't me. I haven't booked anything yet.

No worries Handbanana

most people haven't skied yet this season. it can be a tough crowd sometimes in the off season

steamboat1

Perhaps you could devise a way to make the "first tracks" thing available to actual forum users? I think it's fine that the trip itself is available to anyone, but it would be nice if perks like this were available to people who actually participate on the board (and not just 5 lame posts to meet a quota)...
They can take my spot. I've got almost 50 posts for each of the 75 spots. Lurkers you can have them.

Last edited:

ScottySkis

Perhaps you could devise a way to make the "first tracks" thing available to actual forum users? I think it's fine that the trip itself is available to anyone, but it would be nice if perks like this were available to people who actually participate on the board (and not just 5 lame posts to meet a quota)...
this: pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee +++++++++++++++++++++++77!
You should have to have over 420 posts and talk about Roxbury and the catskilsilllls to get first tracks their and to be entered into ticket constest I agree lots of ppl win who I never seen before. Nick maybe another administrator to help so you have more time for your family I hear salary is relay high for that job lol .

Last edited:

vdk03

Just out of curiosity, did anybody that has posted in this thread not get to ski/ride first tracks last year that wanted to?

Tin

I think most of us are not as concerned with first tracks as it is being almost $200 more to go this year than last year because of lurkers taking up all the cheaper lodging.

Last edited:

gmcunni

I think most of us are not as concerned with first tracks as it is being almost $200 more to go this year than last year because of lurkers taking up all the cheaper lodging.

It is $200 more per person this year?

Tin

For my GF and I to go, yes. Last year we grabbed a studio condo just about three weeks prior to the Summit. I called last week about the same set up and it would be over $180+ more for the two of us. And this was for the condos listed at $159 (not staying at the Inn) which would be about the same price for who of us.

Puck it

For my GF and I to go, yes. Last year we grabbed a studio condo just about three weeks prior to the Summit. I called last week about the same set up and it would be over $180+ more for the two of us. And this was for the condos listed at $159 (not staying at the Inn) which would be about the same price for who of us.

Same here.

Tin

Same here.

I specifically asked about the condos being $159 and they said "there are no more" so I don't know what the hell deal they were trying to give me when they said the condo package would be $220 something per person.

This being said, I should have jumped on it quicker.