• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Back to the ortho?

wa-loaf

You're right; it's not fair.

I think I'm done because my knee is still swollen and sore over 4 weeks after my fall. I'll know more after the MRI tomorrow, but it's not looking good so far. :( Thank you for asking though.

How'd the MRI go?

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
MRI wasn't bad. My head was out the tube, but that's it. I did freak out a little bit at first, but they put headphones on me and let me pick an FM station to listen to (though the volume was nowhere near loud enough to make a dent in the MRI noises). I've had a cold since Wed and was really worried about my nose staying clear, but I wasn't allowed to keep my cough drop. Did a lot of deep breathing when I panicked a few times, but got through it... and ended up in a coughing fit I couldn't stop. Fortunately, it was right at the end (though I didn't realize it and they came in right after I started coughing - the lady said, "I bet you thought I was coming in here to yell at you." :D)

Follow up is tomorrow morning with the orthopedist. The MRI tech told me it would be a couple of days until the doctor got the results (and they didn't tell me anything, unfortunately), but his office scheduled the follow up for tomorrow so he better know then. Less than 12 hrs til I hear more....

wa-loaf

Follow up is tomorrow morning with the orthopedist. The MRI tech told me it would be a couple of days until the doctor got the results (and they didn't tell me anything, unfortunately), but his office scheduled the follow up for tomorrow so he better know then. Less than 12 hrs til I hear more....

They should know. I got films 5 mins after the MRI and delivered them to doc at my appt. They looked at them for 15 mins and had a diagnosis.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
The verdict? Fluid behind the knee, bruised bones, and a partially torn ACL. Meniscus appears to be intact. The orthopedist was quite surprised. Since it's only partially torn, we're going with PT for now. He's had good luck in the past with similar injuries and therefore has high hopes that will be all I need, especially since I'm not having instability issues.

The earliest I could get in for my first PT is next Wed. Then I'll go 2-3 times a week for 4 weeks, with a follow up in 6 weeks.

I did ask about skiing (because it's been 4.5 weeks now). He laughed and said that if I felt up to it, I could try some easy stuff. Didn't feel I needed a brace since I haven't had instability but I'm to call him right away if I have any problems.

Could have been worse, right? I'm just happy he's not jumping to put me under the knife. :D

wa-loaf

The verdict? Fluid behind the knee

That's all pretty good news. Did they draw any of the fluid out of your knee? They took a bunch out of my knee and it felt much better afterwards. It relieved a lot of the pressure and improved it's flexibility.

I start PT on Thursday, doing one standard and one pool based session per week.

2knees

sorry to hear that severine.

I really wish i hadnt read this thread though. I'm starting to have some serious questions as to just what i did to my knee on sunday.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Pat, I'm really sorry to hear that. :( Don't keep reading. I read way too much info out there while I was waiting to find out what was wrong and it only made things worse mentally.

wa-loaf

sorry to hear that severine.

I really wish i hadnt read this thread though. I'm starting to have some serious questions as to just what i did to my knee on sunday.

Damn that sucks. Regardless it's probably worth it to have it checked out. It took me about a week to realize (or accept the fact) I needed to see someone.

drjeff

Damn that sucks. Regardless it's probably worth it to have it checked out. It took me about a week to realize (or accept the fact) I needed to see someone.

That's one of our standard guy reactions! Nope, not me, I'm not injured, give an an advil, it will be fine, it will go away by itself, etc, etc, etc. That response is pure genetics, and I'm convined is located on the "Y" chromosome right next to the gene that makes us guys superior channel surfers and all knowing in the directions department!

Paul

That's one of our standard guy reactions! Nope, not me, I'm not injured, give an an advil, it will be fine, it will go away by itself, etc, etc, etc. That response is pure genetics, and I'm convined is located on the "Y" chromosome right next to the gene that makes us guys superior channel surfers and all knowing in the directions department!

Agreed. Pat, you've been through it before, you know the drill...

Sev, That's a bit of a relief. Great to see you should be able to recover sans surgery. It was hard enough to handle with a then six-year-old. I can't imagine it with 2 curtain-climbers.
Good-luck!

Wa, Lucky bastich, pool therapy is a great way to re-hab. Wish I had had that option...

2knees

Agreed. Pat, you've been through it before, you know the drill...

I know i probably should but i'm trying not to panic this time. 2 years ago, i did something to my left knee and freaked out. It was worse then this one. all swollen and really couldnt bear any weight. went through the whole drill with dr. appts, mri and follow up visits. All for nothing, just a very very bad sprain. My insurance sucks since my work switched over so i want to be rational about it. I didnt feel a pop, my knee didnt give out, which considering the force with which i landed, i'm sure would've happened if i blew the acl. and i finished the run till i tipped over at the bottom. that had nothing to do with my knee. PLUS, i skied one more semi-fast bump run and one easy bump run after that and it never wavered. Based on those facts, i gotta believe the acl didnt blow.

right????

Paul

I know i probably should but i'm trying not to panic this time. 2 years ago, i did something to my left knee and freaked out. It was worse then this one. all swollen and really couldnt bear any weight. went through the whole drill with dr. appts, mri and follow up visits. All for nothing, just a very very bad sprain. My insurance sucks since my work switched over so i want to be rational about it. I didnt feel a pop, my knee didnt give out, which considering the force with which i landed, i'm sure would've happened if i blew the acl. and i finished the run till i tipped over at the bottom. that had nothing to do with my knee. PLUS, i skied one more semi-fast bump run and one easy bump run after that and it never wavered. Based on those facts, i gotta believe the acl didnt blow.

right????

Probably. I hear you on the insurance thing. Luckily when I blew mine, I still had decent ins. Now it sucks. No need to rush into anything, but it wouldn't hurt to take it easy for a bit and keep an eye on things either.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
It's not just a guy thing. I do that all the time. This whole injury started with me continuing to ski down the hill and try 2 more runs after falling. And earlier in the season, I fell flat on my back at work. Continued to work 3 more hours (sans pain meds) even though I was in severe pain because I didn't want to lose face in front of the guys. I cried getting into the car and the whole ride home, it hurt that much.

right????
I hear you on the sucky insurance. But sometimes you have to just suck it up. Give it some time, go easy, and see how it feels. FWIW, I didn't feel a pop and my knee didn't give out-I even skied down the rest of Canyon Run (I was at the top of Nor'Easter avoiding the skiercross course), plus 2 more runs down Lil Joe to test my knee-but I still have a tear. Doesn't have to be textbook.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I don't use my insurance much, but I'm so glad I've got a good plan right now (PPO). I don't need referrals so I just look up who I need to see and go.
We have a PPO, too. But compared to our old PPO (when I worked for the local municipality) it's sucky. We pay A LOT more now than we did before.

Paul

Went straight from an HMO to an HSA. Company made no contribution. Basically, we pay for everything right now until we hit 4k.