• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

bad mojo under lift lines

eatskisleep

Liftlines are great. I am not too much of a showoff but for some reason I ahve always really liked the lift-line runs. Even at places like Jay, with tree skiing right next to the lift; you always seem to try harder when someone is watching you from above.

Grassi21

This is my first full season and I'm definitely not doing anything special out there. But this thread made me realize that most of my time is spent along the lift lines. For me, these trails tend to be wide and have just the right slope to comfortably work on my turns. Although last time we were at Killington I found myself mashing the gas peddle down Header. With confidence comes speed...

The only time anyone yelled at me from the lift was at Jiminy. Someone yelled something at me about a tornado. I thought they were giving me props for my technique. When I met up with the wife at the base area I found out that I skied through a little gust of wind that caused the snow to form a mini tornado. Its a good thing she was the only one to see my red face.

Random Note: Thanks to all for providing a great forum. I have learned a great deal about the sport and the pros and cons of different mountains, conditions etc.

skibum1321

Grassi21 said:
For me, these trails tend to be wide and have just the right slope to comfortably work on my turns.
It's funny you say that. It seems that lift lines are wide with the right slope for a beginner or narrow, steep and bumped up. Most of the lifts I tend to ride would be the latter type of liftline trails.

jack97

Even if the lift line are wide with a gentle slope; the cats tend to stay away from the poles. It’s a good place for powder stashes and bumps. First time up at bretton woods with my 5 year old daughter, she was having a blast on untracked powder. Thought she would turn out to be a powder hound instead I think she’s becoming a mogul hound.

IMO, places with harder trails have lift riders who appreciate the difficulties in the trails below and tend not to be mean spirited. Guess it’s the imprinting I had to wash off from all the times at WaWa. I’ll admit that its fun getting the hoots and holler after landing a jump or nailing an icy bump run. However, I like the lift lines just because it’s the places the groomers don’t go.

NHpowderhound

Eatsleepski wrote
Even at places like Jay, with tree skiing right next to the lift; you always seem to try harder when someone is watching you from above.
I love banging out the edge of Deliverance next to the Red chair.
((*
*))NHPH

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
For me, these trails tend to be wide and have just the right slope to comfortably work on my turns.
i think this brings up an important distinction we should all be making. their are "lift line trails" and then there are "trails with lifts." "lift line trails" are narrow straight shots, usually steep and bumped, with no place to hide. it is prime time viewing, and you are never more than 10-20 feet away from the lift towers. when i think of "lift line trails," these are the trails i am talking about. think MRG's single, zoomer lift line at cannon (as opposed to zoomer proper), tramline @ cannon, redline @ magic, flying fox @ burke, the trails under the quad @ wildcat, etc. then there are "trails with lifts" such as superstar @ kmart, zoomer proper @ cannon, profile @ cannon, jet @ jay, black chair @ magic, white heat @ SR, etc. these trails are pretty wide and spread out and there are plenty of places to ski away from the lift in which you won't draw attention. also, these types of trails are usually groomed out so there isn't as much scrutiny from above. i think the idea of having "the preasure on" or feeling an urge to perform is much more an effective of a narrow steep liftline trail as opposed to a wide groomer trail with a lift up the side.

i really think the MRG liftline is tops for having the preassure on. dropping that liftline, you feel the heavy gaze of many of the best skiers in new england watching your every turn. i think that was one of the few liftlines i felt intimidated and was thinking "man, i hope i don't look like an ass on this run." :D

jack97

riverc0il said:
i really think the MRG liftline is tops for having the preassure on. dropping that liftline, you feel the heavy gaze of many of the best skiers in new england watching your every turn. i think that was one of the few liftlines i felt intimidated and was thinking "man, i hope i don't look like an ass on this run." :D
Exactly how I feel at the single.

One time at Cannon, a PSIA-E examiner was giving a clinic. While skiing down profile (yeah, it’s a trail with a lift nearby) I was one of the few on the trail, notice the group coming up, felt like they were looking at me, only time I felt intimidated at profile.

kingslug

Clairs run at Hunter is right under the lift. Never heard anyone say anything. Those that go back there know whats in store for them and that they can be the ones sliding down on their ass.

skibum1321

Adding to the list of liftline trails (by River's definition - which I agree with):
Liftline @ Castlerock, The Mall @ the Bush, Morningstar @ the Bush, Agony @ Sunday River, Liftline @ Smuggs (IMHO the hardest marked run in the East), Lookout @ Stowe

Greg

Staff member
skibum1321 said:
Adding to the list of liftline trails (by River's definition - which I agree with):
Liftline @ Castlerock, The Mall @ the Bush, Morningstar @ the Bush, Agony @ Sunday River, Liftline @ Smuggs (IMHO the hardest marked run in the East), Lookout @ Stowe
Some more - Liftline, under the triple at Jiminy (rarely open), Liftline at Berkshire East, under the East Basin Double at Loon (while not a single liftline, there's still plenty of audience on Big Dipper and at the Triple Trouble merge). Ripcord at SB is a bit wide, but there's still no escpaing the audience on Heaven's Gate. I think The Mall would have to be one of my favorites though:

DSC06763.JPG

kcyanks1

I like lift lines because it seems like as compared to normal trails they might be a little more likely to be natural conditions with bumps (of course I am generalizing a ton). I'm not at all into showboating or getting attention, and it isn't on my mind that I better not fall with the crowd, but if I like the trail, I go for it.

kcyanks1

Greg said:
Some more - Liftline, under the triple at Jiminy (rarely open), Liftline at Berkshire East, under the East Basin Double at Loon (while not a single liftline, there's still plenty of audience on Big Dipper and at the Triple Trouble merge). Ripcord at SB is a bit wide, but there's still no escpaing the audience on Heaven's Gate. I think The Mall would have to be one of my favorites though:

I love the Mall as well. SB has some good lift lines with The Mall, Liftline, and Morningstar. I've actually never gotten to ski Black Diamond over at North, but I'm sure that's a fun one too. Ripcord I really don't care for much. The snow never seems to be as nice as the other trails, and it's too wide for me to have any character. I love Paradise (one of my favorite trails in the east), and enjoy Spillsville as well. I avoid Ripcord for the most part, maybe taking a single run on it.

Greg

Staff member
kcyanks1 said:
I love the Mall as well. SB has some good lift lines with The Mall, Liftline, and Morningstar. I've actually never gotten to ski Black Diamond over at North, but I'm sure that's a fun one too. Ripcord I really don't care for much. The snow never seems to be as nice as the other trails, and it's too wide for me to have any character. I love Paradise (one of my favorite trails in the east), and enjoy Spillsville as well. I avoid Ripcord for the most part, maybe taking a single run on it.
Spillsville looks awesome. I was planning to hit hit this year, but I missed the entrance off Ripcord. I guess you can get it off Jester too, right? Sort of off-topic...

kcyanks1

Greg said:
Spillsville looks awesome. I was planning to hit hit this year, but I missed the entrance off Ripcord. I guess you can get it off Jester too, right? Sort of off-topic...

Yes, you can get it off Jester, Organgrinder, or Ripcord. It's a fun, narrow bump run, but unfortunately too short. I think at one time, perhaps part of the ASC plans, it was supposed to be lengthened. I guess near the current bottom they'd have to have it curve to the right a little in order for their to be trees separating it off from Ripcord -- otherwise they'd have a lot of planting to do :)

Difficulty wise it's pretty similar to the other bump runs like The Mall (without the lift of course) and the single diamonds off of Castlerock. Slightly harder than Morningstar, I'd say. A fun run.

AdironRider

Its not a liftline in the sense of 20 feet wide, etc, but Lower Skyward is a great lift line trail that can really allow you to strut your stuff. Steep, good snow, and a great audience. I love bombing staight down Upper Sky boosting over the lip onto Lower and ripping it up for all the guys on the summit quad. Skiers on the summit quad at Whiteface tend to be pretty good and its always fun to show off a little bit. Good times.

PowderDeprived

Heh Morning star is wicked sick, After the dump on March 21 they opend it up about half way down, with all natural snow, thin cover, fresh pow on the sides. Skied it for the first time, at least the bottom half, cut on to it from birch. The Mall is awsome, That intimidates me often more than alot of the wide double blacks depending on the snow conditions. Its a shame nobody cuts trails that narrow anymore, heck morning star wasnt even orriginaly intended as a ski trail, at lesast one you skiied down (North Link platter poma)

Greg

Staff member
Indeed, Morning Star is great. I had the pleasure of having early tracks down it after an 18" dump during my first visit to the Bush last season:

DSC05839.jpg

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
When I was a teenager at Gore, many moons ago, we probably skied Showcase, the trail under the main lift to the then summit, everyother run.

As I got older I prefer the quiet, uncrowded, as far from the lift as possible, trails. The Bush has tons of those kinds of trails, guess that is one of the reasons I like it so much. In addition, it's alot safer. One time a bunch of kids in chairs behind me were throwing off firecrackers, that could hurt.