• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Base layers

ZYDECORICH

I need to get a new set of I guess midweight base layers. Any new ones out there I should know about or that anyone could reccomend. I have a pair of the heavyweight fleece type but those are a pain in the butt, don't flex well at all. Any reccomendations welcome. Thanks!

Website
www.nebackcountry.blogspot.com
Ibex makes a couple of good mid-weight hoodies including the Indie and the Nomad. I got the Nomad for Christmas and have been wearing it more than my wife thinks is acceptable.

Also, check out First Ascent's Circuit with their new Cocona material. I can't give any review as I haven't tried, but their claims are intriguing. I'm interested to hear if anyone else has tried out their new baselayers. With FA it is best to wait for a sale as they come along all the time.

Hawkshot99

I personally wear Under Armiur and like it alot. I wore it even before I got good deals on it.
My recomendatikn is to get 3/4 length pants. I never stick my long underwear pants in my boots. Way to tight and the seams can cause pressure points. Unfortunetly UA stopped making the 3/4's so I need to find a new brand...

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

wa-loaf

I grab the Stoic merino stuff whenever it pops up on Steep and Cheap (esp 3/4 bottoms). That and some Patagonia capeline tops work pretty good.

drjeff

Either Under Armor Cold gear (tops and tights) or CWX insulator 3/4 tights for me. I'm wearing the CWX's more and more as I like the extra support they give. I wasn't convinced that they'd make a difference, but after my wife bought me a pair as a gift (she's been a fan of their Stabil-x and Insulator tights for a few years now for both running and skiing, I'm a believer - worth the $$, especially if you do some cold weather running and/or cycling

vinnyv11

Marmot all the way. Much warmer than my under armour. I found a great price on North Face base layers at EMS if you hurry.

BenedictGomez

I'm a bit unconventional as I dont use ski (or even winter) stuff for my base layers.

For base bottoms - Jockey polyester pants
For base top - Under Armour Loose Gear long-sleeve shirts

Both keep me perfectly warm

JDMRoma

I have the EMS Techwick version in the mid weights, they are usually around $65 a piece but I got them at the end of season
for $60 for the pair. Love them, will be getting another pair at the end of this season to have back up !

ZYDECORICH

I have the EMS Techwick version in the mid weights, they are usually around $65 a piece but I got them at the end of season
for $60 for the pair. Love them, will be getting another pair at the end of this season to have back up !

Someone else mentioned these, I'll look for them after the season. Thanks!

timm

I don't know about how the mid-weight is but I have the Eddie Bauer First Ascent base layer in expedition weight and I love them. I also really like Patagucci Capilene. Both are often on sale at deep discounts.