• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Beijing - 1st Olympics 100% man made snow

Smellytele

15 year olds are not known for their maturity and judgements.

Her "believe" in drug to get an advantage is no more evidence of a shittier life than those who found it fun to steal stop signs!
Wtf are you fuckin saying you fuckin moron!
Are you actually equating stealing stop signs to being coerced by adults to dope. She didn’t do it on her own to take this heart medicine.
Every post you just prove more and more what a fucking idiot you are.

abc

Every post you just prove more and more what a fucking idiot you are.
Every post you just prove you're so closed minded and live in your own little world with no idea of what goes on in the rest of the world.

But hey, being closed minded is a cut above idiot and far above moron!

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Hmmmmm a child stealing a stop sign vs a parent or coach coercing them into taking drugs that have proven to shorten people's lives because it might make them more money.

Fair comparison for certain

abc

Hmmmmm a child stealing a stop sign vs a parent or coach coercing them into taking drugs that have proven to shorten people's lives because it might make them more money.

Fair comparison for certain
What's the consequence of a missing stop sign? Potentially a traffic death of some innocent stranger!

Is that less severe than cheating to be no 1?

Harming others vs harming self may not be "fair" comparison. But it's no more or less "shitty" of an environment to be in!

Last edited:

Smellytele

Every post you just prove you're so closed minded and live in your own little world with no idea of what goes on in the rest of the world.

But hey, being closed minded is a cut above idiot and far above moron!
Wow a post without a question.

I do applaud the lack of your own self awareness of your own closed mind. Always trying to prove everyone else wrong. Not sure I have ever read a post by you agreeing with anything or anyone. Who is in their own little world thinking they are in a great big world of righteousness?

deadheadskier

Staff member
I wonder how many stop signs there are worldwide. Scary amount of opportunities for 15 year olds to kill people through mischievousness

abc

biathletes?

What kind of parents would be so cruel to force their kids to be outside in the cold when they should have been warm and cozy in front of a game console?

Hawk

Wow this has disinterested while I have been skiing the last 2 days. Skiing has been rather awsome at sugarbush but has changed overnight. Back into the freezer.

ABC seems to be someone who has been around a while like some of us and definately has molded his own opinions. He likes to challenge people his his thoughts to see what people can come up with for debate. I disagree with him quite a bit but that is the nature of the internet. I would bet that some of the things he says are said in a way to stoke the debate. It's all good. Name calling is not needed. I guess skiing, my coffee and sunday morning jazz has mellowed me out. Maybe time for a wake and bake for some of us. LOL

KustyTheKlown

abc is a she, which somehow adds to the bizarre contrarian nature of all of her posts. no sexism intended even tho it prob sounds sexist as fuck.

its kinda dumping in jersey city this morning with maybe an inch down so far.

Hawk

Woops. I guess I missed something in translation. Either way it is the internet and without face to face converstaion, it's really hard to understand what people are all about. My wife has told me on several occasions to "chill out, you sound like an asshole". She is a wise women. I tend to listen. LOL

machski

Look, the Russian 15 year old girl tested positive for a heart medication. Now, I don't know if she ever got Covid but that can cause Myocarditis. So is it possible she suffered from that and physicians recommended the drug to help alleviate that? I think we need more context before crucifying her and her coaches. Now, if there was no medical reason to take the drug, well then we have a different story. But I have heard nothing about her medical history so I'll reserve judgement until the hearing.

BenedictGomez

I thought at the time that if I couldn't make the US team, maybe I could compete for Ireland due to my ancestry. Would I have been a traitor?

No.

The nuance being missed in this thread by a few (IMHO intentionally for the sake of being able to argue on the internet) is that in almost 100% of these situations, the person playing/competing for the nation they have little connection to is only doing so because there is 0% chance he/she could play/compete for the nation they are "really" from. Happens probably most often in soccer AFAIK. Seems lame to me, but I get that they're skilled, love the sport and want the opportunity. Seems even lamer to me when the person isnt skilled. For instance, there's a girl from New Jersey representing Ecuador in alpine skiing, and frankly she's not very good. Raced some in college, but not even achieving much success at that lower level.

Contrastingly, what makes the Gu situation so abnormal & bizarre is that unlike all these situations we're accustomed to in the above, she is literally the best in the world & easily would qualify for the nation she's really from. It's nakedly obvious the decision to represent China is solely to squeeze out several more million dollars, even if that means renouncing US citizenship, turning her back on America, and (IMO) worst of all, representing a Communist nation guilty of daily horrific atrocities.

BenedictGomez

I feel horrible for not only the 15 year old Russian girl, but the other two prepubescent girls on that team that "love skating so much that they train as much as 12 hours per day" for Russia.

I read a whole takedown on this situation last week (NYT I believe), and it's really ******* sick.

The TLDR is this: Basically the only reason they can do the quad jumps is because they're so young, skinny, and non-developed, because as a woman reaches adulthood her physique changes & as such there are no adult women in the world who can do quads, only these little girls. And in skating, you get more points for doing the harder tricks later in the routine = enter the dangerous heart medication. As such, my guess is all 3 of those little Russian girls on that team are on this med, but the others haven't been caught. Anyway, the Russians have gamed the figure skating scoring system with these late quad jumps by little girls because they generate so many points that it doesnt matter that the Russian girls program isnt as technical or interesting in other skating ways. In fact the Russian who won gold at 15 last Olympics isnt on the team now even though she's only 19 years old. LOL

BenedictGomez

So is it possible she suffered from that and physicians recommended the drug to help alleviate that? I think we need more context before crucifying her and her coaches.

It's a banned drug which is not allowed for precisely the very reason for which it would be incredibly beneficial for a figure skater to take it, and by an athlete representing a nation with a systemic athletic drugging department so pervasive that they are banned from competing under their nation's name. Personally, I don't need to wait for more context.