• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Belleayre 2/6/13

livtoski

Conditions: The snow was great. machine groomed powder ( albeit man-made) Temps were in the 20's all day and it was mostly cloudy with snow showers on and off.

Almost the whole mtn. was open and most of the trails were groomed. There were still icy spots leftover from last week's rain, but it was easy enough to ski around them since the rest of the trail was covered with good snow. Of course it helped that there weren't any crowds on any of the trails. Considering the lack of snow we have had, coupled with the rain, I think they did a great job on the mtn. Now with the storm coming Fri. we should be some great skiing the next week or so.

TropicTundR

Were any of the Belleayre glade trails "open" or accessible ?

Snow or not, I'm sniping Belleayre for this weekend.

holmes

I had a creepy day up there today.

I really love that mountain. Dragged the grand daughters up for their 123 lear to ski program.

In all fairness I did have them out last year and they did OK, but I figured that 3 lift tickets, with rentals and lessons for a little north of 100 bucks is pretty good. Signed them up, got their equipment, and dragged them up the rope tow.

They now scan tickets at every lift. I asked one of the lift guys, what happens when it's busy? He said it gets busier! LOL

Anyway, the girls did really well on the tow rope and about 10AM I said to hell with the lesson lets go skiing.

As we left one of the instructors caught a 'Tude. I told her that they went up and down the rope tow line a few times and I think we're ready for the lift. On we went.

My grand daughters are pretty athletic and the elder was parallel skiing her last run.

We went into the lodge to get the equipment returned and our stuff organized and the lady at the sign-up desk said she got in trouble selling me a the starter pack. I lamented with her that their are too many rules in our silly realm. She cheered up a bit. I think she got dinged by the ski school people,,,,

If I couldn't do the 123 program at the Belle then I would have taken them to Hunter. The belle would have missed some revenue, but I would have gained FOUR hours of solo ski time and my girls would have gained FOUR hours of serious instruction.

When we arrived and left the lower lodge their were FOUR guest cars in the parking lot.

I think Belle will do worse under the ORDA then they did under the DEC.

Pity.

I like the hill.

Also, what's up with the ticket scanners?

Are they thinking they can squeeze a scant nickel out of the unwilling slaves?

Very strange.

livtoski

Well the instructor was probably upset because they may have some quota system to get paid and since you skipped the lesson maybe she lost out.

The scanners are a real pain, but most places have them now. I don't know about Hunter but they scan at Windham now also. Jiminy Peak has a better system where you put the pass in your pocket and go through an electronic gate, faster than the scanners but still and pain. But if you want to share a ticket for the day it is real easy to transfer it.